FXL Behaviour

kartman

Inspired
OK... I've been doing some reading about the FXL block. For a long while, I've moved this block around my presets with only my external looper on the FX loop. Often the block is in parallel to my main chain and in the last column before the output.

Normally, I have the return from the looper plugged into the FX return input on AxeFX. Last night, I experimented with having the looper return go direct to my audio interface, leaving the FX return input vacant. According to what I've read, the AxeFX senses this and behaviour changes... The FX loop out routes directly back to the FX loop in?

Did I get this right? I was hoping to not be forced to update all my presets because I rerouted the looper return cables.

Note: I say cables because I run stereo to and from the looper.

Many thanx!

Correct, FXL block acts like a mixer block when nothing is plugged into the Input 2 Left jack.

A 1/4" headphone adapter or similar could be kept at In 2L to avoid this. A small amount of noise would enter the grid, but this would likely be imperceptible.

Your current routing may be producing a simple level increase when the FXL works like a mixer. A -6 dB global EQ gain adjustment could counter that. Seeing the preset(s) or a bit more information would be necessary to know if this would work. If you're always sending the same sound/level to Out 1 & 2, it probably would.

Your current routing may be producing a simple level increase when the FXL works like a mixer. A -6 dB global EQ gain adjustment could counter that. Seeing the preset(s) or a bit more information would be necessary to know if this would work. If you're always sending the same sound/level to Out 1 & 2, it probably would.

Thanx!

Got it... I don't think I have to adjust the gain as my looper has a dry signal defeat (doesn't pass the dry through to output. This means the feed coming off the grid to the looper is not coming back in the return. The only time a signal is coming back from the FX loop is when the looper is playing. Did I misunderstand your suggestion?

Did I misunderstand your suggestion?

I think so. If you switch to this new connection style without altering the presets or using the In 2L adapter/plug trick, the FXL auto-shunting aspect will result in a level boost at Output 1. A global Out 1 gain adjustment of -6 dB could (maybe, making some assumptions about the rest of the preset for now) counter that boost.

Back
Top Bottom