FXIII user - Need Speaker advice

bharjhol

So I play only at home: I route mp3 drum/bass backing tracks, my guitar/fx3 and my vocals all through a pair of Yamaha HS7s. I really love the sound through the HS7s; really beautiful and clear sounding. BUT, I play in a pretty LARGE room and I don't feel the sound "projects/envelopes" the room. So I wondered if I should use small PA speakers or FRFRs for more ambient sound around the large room (monitors are pretty forward focused only). I tried a Headrush 8 pair and while they "project" much better than the Studio Monitors, I somehow didn't care for the sound; it seems I would have to tweak all my presets (sound more bass heavy/boomy/nowhere as clear as the HS7s); to make matters worse, one on the Headrush speakers died on me, won't power up.

Any ideas? Should I try the QSC CP or K series? Would they be substantially better than the Headrush and the HS7? Or is there a way to make my current HS7 Studio Monitors "project" more so the sound fills the large room?

Cost is no objective; after getting the FX3 I can sell all amps, cabinets and pedals I own :)

Last edited:
Assuming proper speaker placement and alignment is placed for a wider sound dispersion

upgrading to bigger speakers and adding a sub will definitely help

so using hs8 instead of hs7 and adding a yamaha hs8s sub

plus side to this is you keep that sound signature you're used to but more moving air and bass

more volume helps too

Last edited:
The HS7's, as well as most studio monitors, are nearfield monitors, typically not used for listening over 6ft away. Anything over that and you're going to need an FRFR like the Headrush or power amp and cab.

Assuming proper speaker placement and alignment is placed for a wider sound dispersion

upgrading to bigger speakers and adding a sub will definitely help

so using hs8 instead of hs7 and adding a yamaha hs8s sub

plus side to this is you keep that sound signature you're used to but more moving air and bass

more volume helps too
Thanks, how would a sub help in this case, also those low frequencies for guitar? Unclear.

The HS7's, as well as most studio monitors, are nearfield monitors, typically not used for listening over 6ft away. Anything over that and you're going to need an FRFR like the Headrush or power amp and cab.
Thanks, didn't like the Headrush, what would you recommend?

Thanks, how would a sub help in this case, also those low frequencies for guitar? Unclear.
more for your backing track bass instruments than guitar

Bass frequencies help fill out the room more because they are omnidirectional "filling out the room" as they say

quote from this source : https://techtalk.parts-express.com/...t-what-frequency-does-bass-become-directional

"Bass goes from omni-directional to directional at the baffle step frequency, where the baffle is one wavelength. But as one wavelength at 100Hz is eleven feet, and it only gets longer as you go lower, directional subs are for all intents and purposes non-existent, in the home at any rate. The driver never has to face you."

see this article or diagram at the bottom of the page http://www.mcsquared.com/speakers1.htm

Last edited:
HS8s and a pair of 2x12s w/ a kilowatt will fill the room.

Shocked Bart Simpson GIF

Should I try the QSC CP or K series? Would they be substantially better than the Headrush and the HS7?
The QSC are substantially better than a Headrush. A friend used to run dual Headrush 112 cabinets and switched to a pair of the QSC K.12.2. The sound difference was instantly noticeable from across the room because of the increased punch, presence and clarity.

Comparing the Headrush to the Yamaha is comparing apples and oranges because they serve different purposes.

Thanks, didn't like the Headrush, what would you recommend?
I don't have any experience with FRFR's and very few power amp and cab combinations, I'm completely happy with my Focal Alphas. If I need more volume, I'll run into the Axe III into the front of my Brunetti Pleximan with WGS loaded 2X12 but that's a rare occasion anymore. I would take @Greg Ferguson's recommendation and look at the QSC's though, he knows his stuff.

..or some larger studio monitors. That would be my recommendation. Get some mid or far field monitors. Only issue may be price ‘cause my god they can cost a lot!
Thanks
Pauly

If “cost is no objective” (I assume you mean you’re willing to spend some coin to get a solid solution) and you like the fidelity/accuracy of the HS7’s I’d suggest you consider larger studio monitors and (if they aren’t already self-powered) a high-quality stereo amp to drive them. I use my trusty JBL 4430’s and a Bryston 4B amp — old school but super punchy and accurate all at the same time.

You could also go to high-quality PA speakers if you seek a lot more horsepower. Give us an idea of room dimensions and max budget and you’ll prolly get some specific recommendations.

I’m afraid I must disagree — subs can cause as many issues as they can solve (time alignment/coherancy can be problematic). And please don’t think subs can’t be “directional” — these days we use pattern control (cardioid sub patterns mostly) in live sound sub deployment almost religiously.

So I play only at home: I route mp3 drum/bass backing tracks, my guitar/fx3 and my vocals all through a pair of Yamaha HS7s. I really love the sound through the HS7s; really beautiful and clear sounding. BUT, I play in a pretty LARGE room and I don't feel the sound "projects/envelopes" the room.
Those are not made, or meant, to fill a room, they’re meant to project the sound a few feet to your ears centered between them. As with everything else we listen to critically, make sure you are running at 85-90 dB to avoid the Fletcher-Munson effect messing with your EQ.

So I wondered if I should use small PA speakers or FRFRs for more ambient sound around the large room (monitors are pretty forward focused only). I tried a Headrush 8 pair and while they "project" much better than the Studio Monitors, I somehow didn't care for the sound; it seems I would have to tweak all my presets (sound more bass heavy/boomy/nowhere as clear as the HS7s); to make matters worse, one on the Headrush speakers died on me, won't power up.
The Headrush speakers … uh … yeah. I suggest looking into the ELIS.8 speakers, or maybe QSC’s 8” based speakers. They’re big enough to be used as personal monitors on stage, and will be plenty loud for a large room at home. If you want more punch look at the MF-10s or QSC’s 10” based speakers.

Again, the trick with any speaker is to run it at that magic 85-90 dB volume, at least when adjusting the EQ. Get the Amp and Cab blocks set how you want then you can turn down again to add the other blocks.

I have a set of Kali LP-8v2 sitting on my desk that sound good and affordable. I started with LP-6's and they were great but I will say the 8" are better suited. I use the 6" now for just computer. There is probably better and more expensive but I'm happy. I have a Mission Eng. 200 watt stereo FRFR about 12'-15' feet away from me when I want to really rumble...when combined and balanced together they sound glorious.

As a matter of fact Yamaha Hs7 are also FRFR, but they are just a studio monitors, you may need stage monitors FRFR of a kind (wedges or something different) to fill your room. You also can listen to them loud or with a normal room volume as you want.

Thanks everyone for your help! I am not for buying a different set of Studio monitors; like Greg said they are near field. My room is approx, 50 feet X 30 feet with 12 foot ceilings. I used to use lower quality PA speakers earlier with my Kemper and even they sounded pretty good and definitely filled the room. So I need to decide PA or FRFR and I want 2 inputs for sure.That's the other part about studio monitors, only 1 input.

Those are not made, or meant, to fill a room, they’re meant to project the sound a few feet to your ears centered between them. As with everything else we listen to critically, make sure you are running at 85-90 dB to avoid the Fletcher-Munson effect messing with your EQ.

The Headrush speakers … uh … yeah. I suggest looking into the ELIS.8 speakers, or maybe QSC’s 8” based speakers. They’re big enough to be used as personal monitors on stage, and will be plenty loud for a large room at home. If you want more punch look at the MF-10s or QSC’s 10” based speakers.

Again, the trick with any speaker is to run it at that magic 85-90 dB volume, at least when adjusting the EQ. Get the Amp and Cab blocks set how you want then you can turn down again to add the other blocks.
Thanks Greg! So how do I decide between "PA" and "FRFR"? For the QSC Ks would you recommend 10" or 8" and any preference between the 8.2/10.2 or the older versions? Also, which Electro Voice should I consider?

Last edited:
I have a pair of the K10.2's and absolutely love them. I was torn between the 10's and the 12's but settled on the 10's. they have a great punch, and the sound dispersement is huge. I have never regretted my decision, and have had nothing but a pleasurable time with them.

I have a pair of the K10.2's and absolutely love them. I was torn between the 10's and the 12's but settled on the 10's. they have a great punch, and the sound dispersement is huge. I have never regretted my decision, and have had nothing but a pleasurable time with them.
Thanks! Since I play only at home, would 8s be better? The CP8s? Also are the QSC considered PA or FRFR?

Last edited:
They are powered PA speakers, but have a fairly flat response. They are not a "true" FRFR but work extremely well with the AXE FX. I also use them for home entertainment and went with the 10" for the extra low end, (compared to the 8"). For my needs they were the, "just right" solution. My local GC had them in the PA room, so I went and tried them out to make my decision. Perhaps you can do the same.

I do not have any experience with the CP series, so I cant offer any opinions there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom