FXII XL+ Scrolling Through Presets Without Me Doing Anything

Hey everybody! I hope you are all doing well. At my gig last night after setting up my Fractal and confirming everything was working, after about 10 minutes I noticed the Fractal was sequentially scrolling through all my presets in a descending order. I rebooted the Fractal, and after booting up it went back to scrolling through the presets again. I tried rebooting a few more times and no joy. With the Fractal off, I tried disconnecting the MFC 101 Mark III I had hooked up through Fastlink thinking maybe that was the culprit, but again after bootup the Fractal kept scrolling through presets. Again with the Fractal off, I tried unplugging the input coming from my guitar and output (Output 1, Left Channel) going to my speaker, rebooted and it still kept scrolling. The event site was using a spider box that had maybe 6 circuits on it, so I tried plugging into to a different circuit, the Fractal just wanted to keep on scrolling. I replugged into the original circuit still with no MFC, input or output and let the Fractal sit for about 30 minutes with the power button in the off position. When I turned it on and it was fine for about 5 minutes, then it would start scrolling again. I tried this turn off, let it cool down and turn it on again 2 more times and the same thing - for about 5 minutes it was fine, then the scrolling would start. While it was scrolling I tried pushing some buttons on the front panel of the Fractal and I could get into Layout, Edit, Bypass modes, but the Fractal would keep scrolling. I can’t remember if any of the other buttons worked.

So of course this morning at home I tried turning on the Fractal with no MFC, inputs or outputs and left it on for 1.5 hours and no problems. So I turned off the fractal, plugged in the MFC via Fastlink, the input and output turned on the Fractal and still no problems after 1 hour. Have any of you had this happen, and if so, did you ever find out what caused it or how to stop the Fractal from scrolling?

I did a search of this forum and found a post by someone who had an FM 3 that was scrolling through the presets when he would turn it on, but he had some sort of protective faceplate that he had taken off to clean and when he put the faceplate back on he realized the faceplate was pushing on the down arrow button, thus causing it to scroll through his presets, so unfortunately his fix wasn’t applicable to me. Thanks!

Just wanted to let anyone know who might find themselves in a situation where their Fractal is scrolling through presets without them doing anything, I posted the question to Fractal tech support and they said it could be a sticky NAV button. In my case, since it was scrolling in descending order, the down NAV button. He recommended turning the Fractal off, then pretty firmly press on the button that is sticking and rotate your finger in a circular fashion so you can feel the button rotate around with your finger. Start by going in a circular direction one way many times, then go in a circular direction the other way many times (ie clockwise then counter clockwise).

I’ve been meaning to also give a big shout out to the Fractal technical support team. I received a reply from Mark Day within minutes of when I submitted my email to the technical support team. Mark even included a video demonstrating how to massage the NAV buttons. I was pleasantly surprised as most of my dealings emailing technical support to other companies usually takes a day or two, if not more, to get back to you.

Back
Top Bottom