FXII and Original MFC-101 - CAT5?

joe1871

Inspired
I have a couple of heavy duty "roadified" Cat5 cables with XLR style housings. The AXE II was designed to accept this style connector, but the older style MFC with the "expansion" port obviously cant accept the same connector. I am reluctant to use standard CAT5 cable, it isn't designed for portability, nor is it ruggedized. Anyone found a solution? I have to believe anyone who upgraded to the AXE II likely has this same problem. Seems a huge waste of cash to buy the new MFC just for the want of a connector.

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Joe

That is perfect! Thank you! Already ordered one, and have a bunch of 6" cat5s to use with it. Thanks Ole. Great solution!

Joe

Why don't you just use a 7 pin midi cable? I mean, there's no difference between using the CAT5 or a midi cable other than the price of the cable... and ethercon cables are not cheap either.

And the powersupply.
For me that is the main reason to use cad5 cable.
I know you can plug it in the axe, but you still have to use it.
And tbh with the pigtail you really need to punish your gear to break it.

I have no problems using 7-pin midi cables...have a 15' and a 30'...works great
guitar-cable.com has them

The mfc power supply plugs into the axe fx rear panel. Then the 7-pin MIDI can power the MFC.

I really don`t see the problem in that, I already have a power supply to feed my wireless, one more really doesn`t burst my bubble. BTW, if you bought your MFC 2nd hand? I have the expansion port but is that it?

Kudos for the solution mentioned above though!

Sorry, I meant what`s the difference between a MFC101 and a MFC mark II, I understood there was a difference? Lousy typing, my bad.

The only diff is the ethernet plug.
On Mark I its a regular ethernet plug, on Mark II its a ethercon plug. A normal ethernet cable works for both btw.

OK, I see the ethernet plug but I can`t tell if it`s ethernet of ethercon, but my manual states that "Expansion: A to- be announced expansion module to add footswitches to the MFC101" so that implies that there`s no contact to be made with an Axe FX to me, so I figure mine`s a mark one.... Thanks for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom