• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

FX8 working with Axe Fx II XL+

Rich Wood

Hi guys, sorry if this has been asked before but I can't seem to find it if it has....

Can the FX8 be used as a foot controller for the Axe FX II XL+ ?

Yes, though it has to connect via MIDI, not FASLink.

I have both an FX8 and an MFC 101, and the MFC is obviously quite a bit more capable as a MIDI controller. But the FX8 can certainly send program changes, continuous controllers, IA's, and scene selections. I don't remember whether or not it can pass expression pedal CC data to the Axe-FX...I don't think it can. The main limitation of the FX8 vs the MFC is the much smaller number of physical buttons available.

Other limitations - none of the MFC's real time sysex capabilities are available, so it can't display tuner data, tap tempo, or IA switch status from the Axe-FX.

I partially get around those limitations by coupling an Axe-FX II and the FX8 together with both audio and MIDI, which is limitless CPU heaven. I run in to the FX8 first and use it for all preamp and drive type stuff. You can also do various 4CM connection schemes between the two.

Last edited:

Rich Wood

Hey thanks a lot for that information! It's much appreciated and it sounds great!

I currently have an Axe Fx II XL+ with the MFC101 mk3. I also have a Victory V30 with 2x12 cab.

I am wanting to mainly use the V30's amp tones live with the fx's and relay switching of the FX8.
And I want to keep the Ace Fx for studio sessions so was wanting to use the FX8 for channel changing. I just thinking I won't really need the MFC. I'm trying to scale things down a bit and making travel a little easier and all.

I think getting a FX8 is the answers

Top Bottom