FX8 with two amps?

Rich Wood

Hi guys,

Is it possible to switch between two different amps with the FX8?
I use 1 amp for cleans and the other for distortion tones.

I just thought I'd ask before I spend hours trying to figure it out :)

Cheers
Rich

Hi guys,

Is it possible to switch between two different amps with the FX8?
I use 1 amp for cleans and the other for distortion tones.

I just thought I'd ask before I spend hours trying to figure it out :)

Cheers
Rich
You can do that. Either with an expression and a Volume/Pan block, or separate presets with the GLOBAL OUTPUT BALANCE panned hard left and right. The Out Pre is STEREO.

You can do that. Either with an expression and a Volume/Pan block, or separate presets with the GLOBAL OUTPUT BALANCE panned hard left and right. The Out Pre is STEREO.

Yeah I was thinking there could be a way of doing it like this.
Thank you for confirming this, I will try it out!

Yeah I was thinking there could be a way of doing it like this.
Thank you for confirming this, I will try it out!
Using the expression pedal allows you to blend the two amps, and that can be really cool.

If you don't want to use an expression pedal, you can attach CS1 or CS2 to the balance, and use a footswitch to toggle between amps. So many choices; hours of family fun.

EDIT: I removed the original response to this thread for clarity.

I was originally wanting to use a footswitch to toggle between the amps, but using an expression pedal to blend the two amps sounds awesome!

Having a bit of trouble setting up the footswitch to toggle between the two amps, can this be done in the same preset?
Any help will be much appreciated :)

Having a bit of trouble setting up the footswitch to toggle between the two amps, can this be done in the same preset?
Any help will be much appreciated :)
Post the preset. I'm on vacation, but if I have a moment, I will take a look at what you're doing and make adjustments.

Timely thread.

What would the best way to use two amps like the OP, but utilize both power amp sections for stereo FX and switch between preamps? Basically a two channel stereo amp with killer FX.

Post the preset. I'm on vacation, but if I have a moment, I will take a look at what you're doing and make adjustments.

Hey thanks so much! I really do appreciate it :) Please don't go out of your way if you're on vacation, there's no rush.

Attachments

• AmpToggle.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 6
Timely thread.

What would the best way to use two amps like the OP, but utilize both power amp sections for stereo FX and switch between preamps? Basically a two channel stereo amp with killer FX.
Assuming the power amps are identical or similar, I recommend the 7 cable method. This is identical to the 4 cable method, but with pre-out, post-in, and post-out running to each amp.

Use the balance with a scene controller on whatever block is last in your pre- chain to send the signal to the left or right preamp, and then use a volume/pan block first in your post- chain with both left and right panned center

Be careful about "tone" controls that actually work in the power amp, like some presences or some graphic EQs

Hey, I'm still trying to sort this out.
I've started over with a new preset and have managed to set it up so I can toggle between the 2 amps, which is great, but...
the only way I have managed to do this whilst still using both preamps of each amps and using the individual tone of each amp, is to have both amps connected to the output 1 (pre) only, which means I can't use any effects in the effect loops of the amps.
I have found out that if I do connect both amps to the In 2 (post) and Out 2 (post), i.e. the 7 cable method, then both amps are using the same power amp, and that is of which whatever amp is connect to the Left Output 1 (L/mono).
For example, if I had the amp I want to use for distortion/Gains connected to the Left Output 1 (L/mono), then the other amp I want to use for cleans will also have the gain from the distortion amp,

I put a control switch on the balance of a filter block (pre) to switch from left to right when changing from scene 1 to 2.

Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated
I will upload the preset.

Attachments

• TwoAmps.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 7
It sounds like you're saying that when you use two different amps in the stereo POST loop of the FX8, signal is crossing over between the left and the right channels of effects in your FX8 on the post side. Depending on the effect, that could happen, as some of the blocks either sum to mono at the FX input (Reverb) or utilize crossover feedback (Multidelay, etc.). If I'm not understanding, please clarify?

PS: An Axe-Fx gives you much greater flexibility in this regard; you can basically have two fully independent stereo post chains, with a great degree of control over channels, isolation, routing, etc.

Have you set everything to STEREO in the I/O:audio menu? I think one of the inputs defaults to 'L+R sum', which might be your problem.

I'm running two amps in stereo with great results. I'm using the vol/pan block in front with a footswitch connected as an expression pedal to pan hard left/right when the VOL block is on. When the VOL block is off, I get both preamps at the same time. It is basically an ABY setup. I still get stereo FX from the POST FX in the loops in the other channel when in 'A/B mode' which I think is pretty damn cool.

Have you set everything to STEREO in the I/O:audio menu? I think one of the inputs defaults to 'L+R sum', which might be your problem.

I'm running two amps in stereo with great results. I'm using the vol/pan block in front with a footswitch connected as an expression pedal to pan hard left/right when the VOL block is on. When the VOL block is off, I get both preamps at the same time. It is basically an ABY setup. I still get stereo FX from the POST FX in the loops in the other channel when in 'A/B mode' which I think is pretty damn cool.

Hey thanks a lot my friend, you solved the problem! It was the Input 2 that was set to left only. So stupid of me not to check that. Its all sweet now man, thanks a lot!

Can you post the preset? Please

I run a JCM800 for dirt and a twin for clean. I run my FX8 in Mono into an A/B (soon to be A/B/Y with proper grounding option). I find this much simpler than trying to set the FX8 to act as a faux A/B.

I have my FX 8 set up 4CM with my Carr The Bloke amp + having relay one switching between the amps rhythm/lead mode ("channel") and that works just fine, but since The Bloke is more or less a pure overdrive amp it would be nice to add my Fender hot rod to the setup for clean sounds only. Since the Fender will be used clean-only it the FX 8 can go straight into the front of the amp. However, I would also need the FX 8 to switch between the two amps within the same preset/scene. Anyone out there having an idea how/if this can be done either from the FX 8 alone or with the help of an A/B device of some kind? Helpful advices would be greatly appreciated :)

with the help of an A/B device of some kind

Your answer is in your post.

Just make sure you get an A/B with a proper ground function. I'm about to buy a second one as the ground function in the one I bought (from a buddy who builds) doesn't actually do anything. I experience a lot of hum.

I run a JCM800 for dirt and a twin for clean. I run my FX8 in Mono into an A/B (soon to be A/B/Y with proper grounding option). I find this much simpler than trying to set the FX8 to act as a faux A/B.
How do you do this? are you using 4cm? if so what's the routing look like? If not still what'd the routing look like? Is it straight from the Pre Out to the ABY then to the 2 amps? then how do you manage the Post Effects? Sound like a simple answer but sounds also like you're not using the POST effects that way

Back
Top Bottom