FX8 with Two Amps one amp wt effects loop one amp without loop - best set up

Forrest Litke

I am considering an FX8 and plan to use it with a /13 amp which does NOT have an effects loop and and a Mesa Boogie which has an effects loop. What are your thoughts on best way to incorporate both amps with the FX8. My thought is use the effects loops on the Mesa Boogie and the pre output to the /13. This leaves the Mesa Boogie without a direct input - would you split the PreOut to the /13 and Boogie input?

Divided by 13 jrt 9/15 - no effects loop
Mesa Boogie Mark V/25 - wt effects loop

thanks in advance

What effects do you want in the boogie? Do you want the same effects in the div13?

How do you envision using each amp? That will determine how to hook it up.

Effects
Boss ES8 - Shaman Comp - BB+ - Klon - EP boost - WombTone - HOF Reverb - H9 - Timeline Delay - Lift boost
Since I really don't need these effects if I purchase the FX8 - one of the reasons I am considering an FX8 is foot print - I have a very small home studio with a full size pedal board. A FX8 would not only provide great tones but regain valuable space.
I have two solutions
1) use the existing board with one of the amps - most likely the /13 because it doesn't have an effects loop
2) use the FX with the boogie but this is not the best scenario considering I want to regain floorspace -

so I am back to using only the FX8 with one amp with an effects loop and a second amp that does not have a effects loop

then again I've build a pretty nice board and would still like to know best ways to incorporate both the FX8 and my existing board should I decide to go that way.

thank you for your ideas.

Sounds like a bit of a pain TBH - as even when you have sorted out how you are going to wire it up you are always going to have to compromise on how you set up your FX8 from a pre/post perspective. I'd be tempted to bite the bullet and upgrade/trade the /13 for an amp with a loop - giving you a simpler set up and much more choice in how you set things up?

Forrest... You might consider first trying the fx8 W/O the loop..To my surprise....I like the drives in the unit better than the natural overdrive in my $600 Egnater Rebel amp head.

Back
Top Bottom