FX8 with Dual Stereo Line Mixer

GearHaven

Hi, guys!

Quick question. I'm trying to integrate an FX8 into my current stereo rig with no luck. I'm feeding it from Mix 1 Out 2 (L/R) of my CAE Dual Stereo Line Mixer and the FX8's Post Out (L/R) feeds Mix 2 In 3 (L/R).

All FX8 effects are set to Parallel and Post. All mixes are set to 100%. Regardless, I'm hearing terrible phase issues.

Am I doing something wrong, forgetting something, or this setup is simply not possible with the FX8?

Thanks. =)

PS: You can see my rig (without the FX8) here:

Have you tried inverting the phase at OUTPUT 1 and/or OUTPUT 2? SETUP menu, I/O>Audio page; manual page 72.

NOTE: There's a typo in the manual, the second "OUTPUT 1 (PRE) PHASE" at the bottom of the page under "OUTPUT 2 (POST) MODE" should be 'OUTPUT 2 (POST) PHASE'.

I have tried messing up with the different phases, but that seems to correct nothing.

It should be noted that I'm only using POST INs and OUTs.

I'm using the CAE Dual Stereo Line Mixer, which is dead simple and doesn't not include panning. It's only got Level knobs for Mix 1 and Mix 2.

i can only find the specs of the Mini Mixer:
Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 8.09.30 AM.png

it seems there are several places that phasing can occur due to the routing? hard to tell without the unit in front of me, but i don't really understand this mixer at all and the signal path.

as a test, can you try your guitar straight to FX8 Post In Left, then FX8 Post Out (left or both) to your power amp - basically bypass the CAE for now just to make sure that's working. it will be Wet only since that's how the FX8 is setup currently, but you can start troubleshooting that way.

The Line Mixer I've got is basically the same but bigger.

FX8 is working flawlessly. I've already been using it in other, "simpler," configurations without experiencing any issue.

I've tried a few other things, so I'm posting the results so far:

1) I've managed to get rid of the phase issue if all programmed effects are bypassed (only with bypass type set to THRU).
2) I've managed to get rid of the phase issue if I activate the true bypass function.
3) The moment I activate an effect, the phase issue comes back. Note that the Mix of the corresponding effects is set to 100% and, just in case, all effects are set to PARALLEL and ALL POST.

I've tried a few other things, so I'm posting the results so far:

1) I've managed to get rid of the phase issue if all programmed effects are bypassed (only with bypass type set to THRU).
2) I've managed to get rid of the phase issue if I activate the true bypass function.
3) The moment I activate an effect, the phase issue comes back. Note that the Mix of the corresponding effects is set to 100% and, just in case, all effects are set to PARALLEL and ALL POST.
as a test, try setting effects to Series.

What else are you using with the mixer? Without knowing the signal path, or what the other devices are and how they are connected, we can only guess at possible issues.

Make sure that every effect block in the FX8 preset is set to 100% wet, and don't allow "direct" signal to pass through the grid.

What else are you using with the mixer? Without knowing the signal path, or what the other devices are and how they are connected, we can only guess at possible issues.
Everything you can see in the video included in the original post. The rig is working flawlessly without the FX8.

Make sure that every effect block in the FX8 preset is set to 100% wet, and don't allow "direct" signal to pass through the grid.
I've tried programming a preset with just one delay (mix set to 100%) in order to simplify the testing process. I assume no dry signal is passing through the unit after having the delay mix to 100%. Do you think I'm missing something?

Thanks. =)

i've tried this with a mark L mixer, and it worked but it was a few years ago...
i've sold the fx8 since.

i've tried this with a mark L mixer, and it worked but it was a few years ago...
i've sold the fx8 since.
That mixer is identical to the one I'm using, so I'm worried that I'm missing something along the way and that's why it's not working properly. For some reason, dry signal seems to be still passing thru the FX8.

It would actually be quite convenient to have a Kill Dry function onboard.

It would actually be quite convenient to have a Kill Dry function onboard

+1 and an analogic line like for example strymon flint or others.

did you experience hearing dry signal in the "simple" setup you mentioned?
My rig is stereo (not W/D/W), so there's always dry signal going through my L/R cabs. Whenever I get a phase issue, it's quite simple to solve because it means one of the units connected to the Dual Stereo Line Mixer is not set to kill dry. Without the FX8, everything works perfectly, so I assume the FX8 is somehow still passing dry signal because the issue disappears the moment I disconnect it from the rig.

My rig is stereo (not W/D/W), so there's always dry signal going through my L/R cabs. Whenever I get a phase issue, it's quite simple to solve because it means one of the units connected to the Dual Stereo Line Mixer is not set to kill dry. Without the FX8, everything works perfectly, so I assume the FX8 is somehow still passing dry signal because the issue disappears the moment I disconnect it from the rig.
would you be able to export and upload the FX8 preset file just so we can check? use FX8-Edit, click the Preset menu up top, and then Export. upload the resulting .syx file here.

Test preset attached.

It's very basic with just delay and reverb. It's what I've been using to unsuccessfully try things out. I would also try changing the bypass type of both blocks on the fly to see if that corrected anything (as described in a previous post).

Thanks!

Attachments

• FX8 TEST.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom