Wish FX8 Wish List

Think of a loop as a long delay with maximum repeats- 100% feedback level. The loop never degrades over time. Now, if you can vary that, you can add to the loop and have overdubs pile up at 100% feedback, or slowly fade over time as new content is added with overdub on. This way, after several minutes, the original loop content has faded, but new content has taken its place. The loop slowly morphs from one thing to something completely different. Lower feedback settings fade old content faster as you add new content to the loop. When you get something you like, bring feedback up to 100% again, so it doesn't fade. Now, with overdub off (not adding new content to the loop), lowering feedback just fades out the loop. Thing is, now you'd have control over how fast or slow it fades. Want it to go away quickly? Bring it down to 5%. Want it to fade over 20 minutes? Set it at 97%. It is your choice. It is a very powerful control for improvising guitarists (like me).

The only problem with that is you have to be in overdub mode for it to be decaying... There is no way to start a new section without recording what you're playing. I just need a simple fade so it's not so abrupt when a loop is stopped.

With true feedback control, you don't have to be in overdub mode for it to decay. No matter what mode it is in, it will decay if feedback is less than 100%. The problem a I have with auto fades is that I want to control the fade rate all the time. It all starts to sound same-y if the fades are always the same. Feedback like I described is used on the Echoplex Digital Pro and the Looperlative.

I have had my FX8 for a few days now & I am very pleased with it. I really do think that it sounds great & that it is well thought out. I do not quite have it ready to use at a gig yet because I am still experimenting with various functions that I require to replace my current rig.

At present I use 2 amps, a Marshall JVM410H & a Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister 36, with a TC Electronics G Major 2 in a stereo set up. This is all controlled by an FCB1010 with midi. I hope & expect the FX8 to replace the G Major 2 and I am looking at ways to also make the FCB1010 redundant as I am trying to cut down on the amount of space that I need on the floor.

So the FX8 sends out Midi PC with each scene change and it works well. That will control 1 amp. I can assign 2 midi blocks which could sort out the remaining control requirements. However what the mid blocks require is for an actual footswitch action to get them to send a midi message (as far as I can tell). To fully control my rig I would like an option for the midi block to either send a message when a footswitch is actioned OR (and this is the wish list request) to automatically send a midi message when there is a scene change. This would give me a total of 3 midi messages that could be sent on each scene change along with 2 further messages with a change of X/Y. I would hope that a software change of this nature would be a simple task.

I realise that not everyone has a requirement for such detailed midi control and I suppose that it could be argued that it then becomes more like a midi controller BUT remember that the idea is to replace the FCB1010 (or such a device) therefore saving floorspace and it does not seem to be a major problem to solve in software so that is my request!

Regards

Gary

Last edited:
You can already use more than two mod blocks in one preset.

D'oh! You're right. Forgot that the each mod have its own blocks. What I'm really saying is having similar functionality as the M13 which does allow you to set up 12 different drives, mods, delays, filters or verbs in a single "scene" patch, but you are limited to only 4 at a time (there may be DSP limits to having 4 different reverbs on at once, but who the heck would do that?)

For a patch that has 8 different drives, most likely, you would never have all 8 on at once, but at least you have the ability to choose which ones you want one at a time. With X/Y, you would have 16 different drives at your finger, I mean, foot-tips. Pretty cool if you are like me, and love trying different flavors of fuzz, OD, and boost through different amps.

If you love trying different flavors of drive, set up one preset per drive. Then just step through your presets. If you devoted one preset per drive, you'd still have nearly 100 presets left over, and that's 100 more then you get with the M13.

The only thing you can do with the M13 that you can't do with the FX8 is run four drives at the same time. Who does that in real life? :)

Hi! I wish the possibility to put the same pedal in the x-y function with different settings ...I've found two settings that i really like on BB pre ( dirty and lead ) but i can't put them in the same slot to use it in different scenes

Can you pleeeeaaase remove the flashing green light when sticky preset bank select is on? It makes me nervous :hypnotysed::hypnotysed::lol

Hi! I wish the possibility to put the same pedal in the x-y function with different settings ...I've found two settings that i really like on BB pre ( dirty and lead ) but i can't put them in the same slot to use it in different scenes

??? Your statement isn't clear, but it seems you've described exactly what XY does.

The only thing you can do with the M13 that you can't do with the FX8 is run four drives at the same time. Who does that in real life? :)

I do. :p

I don't have four drive blocks programmed in when I am using a different preset with scenes for each individual song in the set list. But when I have just a generic pedalboard setup (for off the cuff jamming), I prefer to have two overdrives, a distortion and then a fuzz available. I like to cascade one OD into another going from rhythm to lead. If the song is heavier to begin with, I'll usually start with a distortion pedal and then kick in an OD (with the gain rolled back quite a bit and the volume up a little) for my lead boost. And if the song needs a fuzz pedal...well I got that ready to go as well. So I would actually love to have the capability of adding four drive pedals without having to use X/Y switching because you can toggle faster between them if your not using X/Y. Then I'd have delay, flanger, reverb and either chorus or compression as the other four blocks.

Sounds like you're really only running two drives at once. :)

With X/Y and Scenes, you can set up four drives, and choose from multiple combinations of two at a time, all with a single stomp of your foot, and you still have six blocks left over for other effects. If you're willing to use more than one preset (I don't see the downside to that), the sky is the limit. As far as I can tell, the M13 doesn't even do presets.

I know. I love scenes. And for some of my presets where I'm using scenes, I have four drives set up. But in certain playing situations I have a few presets built as "virtual pedalboards." Scenes is not practical at those times because I simply want to click effects on and off individually as I would with a standard pedalboard. So I want four drives visible on the screen at all times and accessible quicker that X/Y switching would allow. I know the delay with X/Y isn't huge but sometimes I need it engaged immediately. Like if I'm playing rhythm and then need a quick change for lead. I don't want to have to think about whether I'm holding the foot switch down long enough to switch from X to Y rather than simply disengaging the block, or trying to remember which drive is X and which is Y.

Sure...I could do:

Block 2 X=OD1
Block 2 Y=OD2
Block 3 X=DIST
Block 3 Y=FUZZ

And then create the following drive scenes:

OD 1
OD 2
OD 1 + OD2
DIST
DIST + OD 1
FUZZ

But then...what about the four modulation/delay/other blocks that I want available as well (delay, reverb, flanger and either chorus or compressor)? There aren't enough scenes available in the preset to accommodate every possible combination of drive and other effects. And even if there were, I'd never be able to remember which scene was which. This is not a reasonable approach here.

Scenes definitely has its place. It's changed my approach to this device. But it isn't right for every situation. Sometimes all you want at your feet is a traditional pedalboard with all eight effects visible in the foreground. :encouragement:

Last edited:
I have had my FX8 for a few days now & I am very pleased with it. I really do think that it sounds great & that it is well thought out. I do not quite have it ready to use at a gig yet because I am still experimenting with various functions that I require to replace my current rig.

At present I use 2 amps, a Marshall JVM410H & a Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister 36, with a TC Electronics G Major 2 in a stereo set up. This is all controlled by an FCB1010 with midi. I hope & expect the FX8 to replace the G Major 2 and I am looking at ways to also make the FCB1010 redundant as I am trying to cut down on the amount of space that I need on the floor.

So the FX8 sends out Midi PC with each scene change and it works well. That will control 1 amp. I can assign 2 midi blocks which could sort out the remaining control requirements. However what the mid blocks require is for an actual footswitch action to get them to send a midi message (as far as I can tell). To fully control my rig I would like an option for the midi block to either send a message when a footswitch is actioned OR (and this is the wish list request) to automatically send a midi message when there is a scene change. This would give me a total of 3 midi messages that could be sent on each scene change along with 2 further messages with a change of X/Y. I would hope that a software change of this nature would be a simple task.

I realise that not everyone has a requirement for such detailed midi control and I suppose that it could be argued that it then becomes more like a midi controller BUT remember that the idea is to replace the FCB1010 (or such a device) therefore saving floorspace and it does not seem to be a major problem to solve in software so that is my request!

Regards

Gary

+1 on this post.
I need to be able to send Midi CC when changing scenes. Otherwise I have to use my Musicomlab in order to control all my devices. It would be great if the FX8 could do the job instead.

There aren't enough scenes available in the preset to accommodate every possible combination of drive and other effects. And even if there were, I'd never be able to remember which scene was which.

You can make Presets and name them. That's the answer at this point. Scenes help a lot, but Presets are powerful too.

Back
Top Bottom