Wish FX8 Wish List

You just described bargain-brand amp modeling. I'd be surprised if Fractal diluted their brand that way.

Including a few preamp type pedals is hardly 'brand dilution' IMHO. Again, having some classic pre's, including acoustic types, would keep a strong hold and show off the routing flexibility.

• Link effects so that turning one on/off turns the link(ed) effects on/off as well - would probably be handy to link the X/Y as well
  • Link effects so that only one of the linked effects is on at any time
  • Disable X/Y for a block - sometimes I just want one and don't want to accidentally toggle
  • Allow copying of presets and blocks/routing/config from another preset (without the editor)
  • Have a means to save routing/configs in the editor like you can with effects blocks (I have yet to download the editor so this may already be implemented)

Including a few preamp type pedals is hardly 'brand dilution' IMHO. Again, having some classic pre's, including acoustic types, would keep a strong hold and show off the routing flexibility.
Amp modeling—even just preamp modeling—is complicated and CPU-intensive. Fitting that into the FX8 would require simplification and compromises. Fractal has rigorously avoided simplification and compromises.

Amp modeling—even just preamp modeling—is complicated and CPU-intensive. Fitting that into the FX8 would require simplification and compromises. Fractal has rigorously avoided simplification and compromises.

I'll agree and disagree. Yes, there would be some processing CPU utilization but nowhere near what complex reverbs use. Compromise is subjective- everything is a compromise at some level.

There are some killer analog preamp pedals out - logic would say these are much more complicated than any overdrive pedal.

Also, the code base for the preamps is already built.

I'm just a 'user' and speaking on a marketing level.

I'll agree and disagree. Yes, there would be some processing CPU utilization but nowhere near what complex reverbs use. Compromise is subjective- everything is a compromise at some level.

There are some killer analog preamp pedals out - logic would say these are much more complicated than any overdrive pedal.

Also, the code base for the preamps is already built.

I'm just a 'user' and speaking on a marketing level.
I get what you're saying, but amp modeling is the most CPU-intensive thing in the Axe-Fx. Half the processing power is dedicated to that. There's just not enough processing power in the FX8 for it,even if you take out power-amp modeling.

Agreed, the are some pretty good modeling stomps out there...but not any Fractal-quality ones.

Another stuff that FAS should reconsider...
the X and Y sharing the same modifiers...
They should be independent.... like in AxeFX2....

:encouragement:

I am going to try and get by with the amp/cab models from my Boss GP10 when used in conjunction with an FX8. My expectations are not high in this regard.

i'm currently programming my FX8 and use presets MUCH more than scenes.

would it be possible to reverse the ways to get into scene select mode and preset/bank select mode?

for example, instead of pressing and holding the scene-preset/bank button to engage preset/bank select mode, you would be able to engage preset/bank select mode with a single foot tap (and visa versa). it would speed things up greatly for those of us who use a lot of presets and still need to have access to stompbox mode quickly and easily. thanks!

Another stuff that FAS should reconsider...
the X and Y sharing the same modifiers...
They should be independent.... like in AxeFX2....

:encouragement:

AFAIK te Axe-FX 2 also shares the same modifiers for X and Y

> Link effects so that turning one on/off turns the link(ed) effects on/off as well
> Link effects so that only one of the linked effects is on at any time

I know it would be a gear haul, but did you know you can control the FX8 from an MFC-101?

> Disable X/Y for a block - sometimes I just want one and don't want to accidentally toggle

Just use COPY X>Y in the editor's X-Y submenu (the little triangle).

> Have a means to save routing/configs in the editor

Nice idea. I'll look at this.

> Link effects so that turning one on/off turns the link(ed) effects on/off as well
> Link effects so that only one of the linked effects is on at any time

I know it would be a gear haul, but did you know you can control the FX8 from an MFC-101?

LOL - that's definitely crossing over into the "defeats the purpose" territory.

> Disable X/Y for a block - sometimes I just want one and don't want to accidentally toggle

Just use COPY X>Y in the editor's X-Y submenu (the little triangle).

Editor? What's that? Actually, I did download it but I still haven't tried it. But I will in the next day or so as I get my rig finalized - I'm going to run the Amplifire for amp sims until the AX8 comes along so I'm going to need to do some MIDI stuff.

I thought of another potentially cool feature. How about a MIDI controller block? This block would allow you to create MIDI controllers from the internal controllers. IOW, it would exist to send CC MIDI out messages for an internal controller that was attached to it. So the block would have one or more exported controllers. For each, you pick a CC # to send and the high and low. On the knob that selects the CC # is the standard "you can attach a controller to this" icon and you configure the internal controller you want with the range/curve/etc.

So the end result is you could set up a block that would let you control some outboard MIDI gear via the FX8 ADSR, LFO, pitch, envelope, or sequencer controllers.

Now I need to go look for a MIDI controlled stage fan so I can have the fan blow harder when I start playing higher notes - I'm pretty sure that Steve Vai would use this feature ;)

I thought of another potentially cool feature. How about a MIDI controller block? This block would allow you to create MIDI controllers from the internal controllers. IOW, it would exist to send CC MIDI out messages for an internal controller that was attached to it. So the block would have one or more exported controllers. For each, you pick a CC # to send and the high and low. On the knob that selects the CC # is the standard "you can attach a controller to this" icon and you configure the internal controller you want with the range/curve/etc.

So the end result is you could set up a block that would let you control some outboard MIDI gear via the FX8 ADSR, LFO, pitch, envelope, or sequencer controllers.

Now I need to go look for a MIDI controlled stage fan so I can have the fan blow harder when I start playing higher notes - I'm pretty sure that Steve Vai would use this feature ;)

Love this suggestion.

I'd like the ability to assign a controller to disengage the Global Volume Pedal Control. This way I can assign the way bypass controller # to disengage the volume pedal when I want to use the wah, allowing me to share one expression pedal for both wah and volume duties, without giving up a block for volume pedal control.

Back
Top Bottom