FX8 Volume (and tone?) loss

FullReverse

Inspired
Hello,

I have noticed that when I A/B the true bypass signal vs the signal through the FX8 (all effects off) I get a bit of volume loss and the over driven amp tone does not sound as full when going trough the FX8. I have tried boosing signals in the "configure" tab, but it just start to clip.

Anyone else notice this or am I doing something wrong?

please describe all cables and connections between the guitar, FX8, amp, and anything else plugged in the audio path.

Is your FX loop line level, or instrument level? Can you configure this on your amp? (My blackstar ht-100 has a button to toggle.. It has caused me annoyance in the past.). FX8 work perfectly with my Mesa Boogie Mark IV as the loop is line level. This is a complete guess based on inadequate information. Provide the answers Chris asked for further help.

It's a Valveking MH20. I am running 4CM... Guitar to fx8 instrument input, left Out to the front of amp, VK send to FX8 "From Send", FX8 "To return" to VK return. Nothing else connected. Cables are new (not humbusters). The only other thing connected is an EV-1.. used as an expression pedal.. using it with a volume block (Post In).

as a test, if you just go guitar to fx8, Pre out to amp input (unplug Post/Loop stuff), is it better?

In the bypass options you can choose to bypass just the pre or post. This should help you find your loss. Also try running a patch cable from your amp fx loop send directly to return, and guitar straight into the amp. This will test your fx loop for loss.

That will take the loop level out of the equation...

Exactly what I would like to do as a test. If the volume drop still happens we know it is in the pre path. If it doesn't happen we know it is in the post path or the amp effects loop.

Troubleshooting 101 is isolating things.

I can tell you this... Your loop is NOT line level. (+4db) it's buffered pedal level (-10db). This is not ideal for this type of unit. I would guess this is the issue, or part of the issue. My Blackstar ht-100 actually had a button to switch between buffered and line level, which is sweet. My mesa boogie is setup for line level, I see the FX8 transparently.

You can use an Ebtech Line Level shifter to correct this problem. I had the same issue on my Genz Benz el Diablos

I can tell you this... Your loop is NOT line level. (+4db) it's buffered pedal level (-10db). This is not ideal for this type of unit. I would guess this is the issue, or part of the issue. My Blackstar ht-100 actually had a button to switch between buffered and line level, which is sweet. My mesa boogie is setup for line level, I see the FX8 transparently.

-10dBV is consumer line level, but still considered line level. The FX8 can do both +4dBu and -10dBV on the POST Out. The default is +4dBu, so if his amp loop is -10dBV, the default is probably too hot. That wouldn't explain why he's experiencing a volume "drop" with the FX8 engaged, however.

Hey guys, so I tried the Jumper directly from send to return in the amp and there is no tone/volume loss. Only when I'm running the effects through the FX8. I picked up this little amp after seeing the Larry Mitchell video.. I liked the way it sounded, but it's a pretty crazy loss of volume and "oomph" in the amp.

I'm not sure how to bypass just pre/post within the FX8 to try that though.

Hey guys, so I tried the Jumper directly from send to return in the amp and there is no tone/volume loss. Only when I'm running the effects through the FX8. I picked up this little amp after seeing the Larry Mitchell video.. I liked the way it sounded, but it's a pretty crazy loss of volume and "oomph" in the amp.

I'm not sure how to bypass just pre/post within the FX8 to try that though.

Just go guitar, FX8 into the amp's input. Nothing in the loop. No jumper. Is the volume drop still there?

Just go guitar, FX8 into the amp's input. Nothing in the loop. No jumper. Is the volume drop still there?

Doing this, there is no discernable difference between true bypass and not. So the issue is the interaction between the VK's loop and the FX8 loop. They aren't playing nice. Bummer.. I really like the size and sounds from the VK. Can anyone suggest a comparable small head?

Doing this, there is no discernable difference between true bypass and not. So the issue is the interaction between the VK's loop and the FX8 loop. They aren't playing nice. Bummer.. I really like the size and sounds from the VK. Can anyone suggest a comparable small head?

Looking at the amp's manual, I wonder if it's an impedance mismatch. That would cause both tone and level issues.

Last edited:

I wouldn't give up yet. Someone here might have a solution. What about that Ebtech line level device mentioned above?

I can tell you that the FX8 works perfectly with my HK Tubemeister 36. No noise even without humbuster cables. There's the Tubemeister 18 if you don't want the power and 3 channels.

Post a preset or AX8-Edit screenshots of POST block mix/levels, routing and gate/out page if possible.

Bypassed blocks can affect level when bypass mode is Mute FX In/Out. Or Mute In/Out, which mutes the dry signal completely and could be used in a parallel path.

Level can also be set per scene at the gate/out page. Check this too if you haven't yet.

Is your pedal configured only as an External Control, controlling a vol/pan block located at start of the POST chain? At the I/O: CTRL menu, what are the In 2 (Post) Volume and Out 2 (Post) Volume items set to?

Ok, So I went to a completely empty Preset and connected 4CM and the volume drop/tone loss issue went away. So I went back to the original preset that I created (pictured) and started removing effects to see if one of those was the problem. All effects were bypassed at the time. When I removed the Multi-Delay effect, the volume was restored to normal. My questions, what could cause the Multi-Delay (when bypassed) to cause the volume to drop like that??

IMG_20151010_1620300_rewind.jpg

Back
Top Bottom