FX8 - VIDEO - Review and DEMO!

Great video!

I appreciate anyone kind enough to drop a compliment, but from you it's extra awesome Cooper. Thanks man! Since I made this I have a new level of respect for your presentation skills as seen in your videos. Amazing and NOT as easy as you make it look. Just like your guitar playing.:encouragement:

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I came up on the waitlist a while back, but I don't have the funds to get the fx8 at the moment. I also have an axe II XL with the MFC, so it's not so bad!

Hello Robboman,

It looks like you are nearly to your predicted 10k views! It hasn’t even been a month yet. Congratulations, sir.

Also, you are damn well correct in stating that videos demand much of one’s time and efforts. They can always be ‘made better’ and in that spirit, I’ve got some recommendations for you that are only meant to be received in the most positive of manners as constructive criticism. Anyone who is producing valuable content, as in the manner that you have done, deserves our respect.

This will be fragmentary as I (mostly) dashed them out as the video was playing. I don’t have much time this morning.

• If you choose to structure your video wherein you will talk to your audience for 1.5 minutes at the head of your video, I’d recommend showing your face, especially as you have introduced yourself by name. Anonymity is understandable though.

• Consider starting by playing and making some sounds in order to generate and hold interest. 15 seconds would do. Then move onto the presentation.

• Assume that nobody knows anything about the Fractal Audio paradigm. Terms like “Blocks” and “Auto-Engage” mean little (and are vague) to the non-indoctrinated and should be explained at the head of the video or not mentioned at all as it can turn people off or confuse them.

• The part about how the FX8 is mounted to the pedalboard is irrelevant to the discussion. People that are concerned with how to mount things to pedalboards can look for those specific videos. This simply adds time to an already lengthy video and risks the loss of interest on the part of the viewer. Edit viciously.

• The personal touch about why the FX8 appeals to you in a gigging situation wherein you sing and play at the same time is good stuff. These are real world considerations. Comparing and contrasting to the ‘old norm’ is very valuable.

• The 1st three minutes of the video can be condensed into a quick rundown as to why one would choose an FX8, who it is designed for and what it does.

• Overall, the video is too long and could have been structured to be more concise. The 6 minute pre-amble could have been reduced to 2 minutes by following a succinct outline.

• What is the 4CM? It is mentioned three times within the first 4.5 minutes. One can’t assume that anyone else knows what it is. Most people won’t even know how powerful this is and that it lets you place effects before and after the pre-amp stage of an amp. That’s a huge deal but the viewer won’t know that by the end of the video.

• I’m sure that you are aware of the varying volume level of your narration around the 6:00 mark.

• When moving the camera, consider these as places where one could ‘cut’ to where the camera is now in place. Instead of us having to have the camera shaking around, it could just cut to the camera being in place. Adjust the narration to suit. This is around the 6:20 mark.

• No need to show the Røde NT-1. Just tell the viewer that the sounds are from “a Røde NT-1 condenser mic about 7 ft. back from the cab” or similar.
In the interest of time and cutting down on the swinging camera.

• Consider condensing all of the listing of features (that you’d like to present) into one section of the video so that all of this primary information is in one place and users don’t have to hunt for it even though it is listed on the website (I’d guess). Statements as to True Bypass Switching, more than 30 pedal types, etc.
This helps to prime the brain to receive the information at the appropriate time as there is much information to take in and when this information is then stated subsequently, as in: 'This is a TS-model' or 'Listen to the lack of difference between in circuit bypass and completely out of circuit', these concepts won’t be entirely new to the viewer and it will be clearer as to what is being presented (and why) at a given moment. It’s very difficult to hear the data, make sense of it and listen to the effect (or lack thereof) when it is all presented simultaneously and for the first time; within the space of a few seconds. If it happens once or twice in a video, that’s not so bad as people can simply rewind. If it is the norm, it is asking too much of the viewer and is avoidable in either case.

• Write everything out as an outline, do a few dry runs and then edit the outline. Repeat as necessary. It seems like you did sketch an outline (at least mentally) and did follow it. That’s a good thing.

• Parcellate things: demo the boosts & drives, then modulation, then comp types, etc. Chunk it. Leave direct links to these parts in your video description.
Do likewise with the product concept and other key points.

• Consider using a separate mic, on a stand, for your narrative voice. This can be recorded to a separate track and muted and mixed against the room mic. If recording direct to the camera, and it has a line input, the Røde could go to the left channel and the other mic to the right channel. Then mix in mono as this is all in mono anyhow.
I literally can’t turn up my laptop to be loud enough to understand your words during the discussion of the looper and most of what follows through to the closing… and my hearing is good… just had it tested :D

• Wah discussion at 12:37: It would be better to explain how the Auto-Engage function works. Stating that one can “just step on it and go for it” isn’t a clear explanation as to how this works and of what benefit it is to the viewer. Also, it is potentially confusing as there is clearly a stomp switch integrated into the Mission pedal. You and I know what and why this is. Most people don’t, especially the intended market for the FX8.
Yes, it ends with “heel down and the wah is off again”. I get it, although it could stand to be more clear.

Key takeaways for future videos:

• Chunk the information into groups of similar things and information
• Approach product concepts and video formatting as if viewing things for the first time and as someone who is unfamiliar with the brand & product
• Outline, Rehearse, edit, repeat until the Outline can be none more brief.
• Explain product/brand-specific terms if used in the video
• Edit viciously like a ruthless MF’er

All of these things are meant as constructive criticism of an otherwise nicely done and informative video and are in the spirit of food for thought for future videos that you may wish to produce. Obviously, I don’t know the constraints or your situation so recommendations like using a separate mic could be simply discarded based upon practicality.
I only quote you directly for the sake of clarity not as a means of ridicule.

As a first product demo, it was above the norm. Well done, sir!

Last edited:
Hello Robboman,

It looks like you are nearly to your predicted 10k views! It hasn’t even been a month yet. Congratulations, sir.

Also, you are damn well correct in stating that videos demand much of one’s time and efforts. They can always be ‘made better’ and in that spirit, I’ve got some recommendations for you that are only meant to be received in the most positive of manners as constructive criticism. Anyone who is producing valuable content, as in the manner that you have done, deserves our respect.

This will be fragmentary as I (mostly) dashed them out as the video was playing. I don’t have much time this morning.

• If you choose to structure your video wherein you will talk to your audience for 1.5 minutes at the head of your video, I’d recommend showing your face, especially as you have introduced yourself by name. Anonymity is understandable though.

• Consider starting by playing and making some sounds in order to generate and hold interest. 15 seconds would do. Then move onto the presentation.

• Assume that nobody knows anything about the Fractal Audio paradigm. Terms like “Blocks” and “Auto-Engage” mean little (and are vague) to the non-indoctrinated and should be explained at the head of the video or not mentioned at all as it can turn people off or confuse them.

• The part about how the FX8 is mounted to the pedalboard is irrelevant to the discussion. People that are concerned with how to mount things to pedalboards can look for those specific videos. This simply adds time to an already lengthy video and risks the loss of interest on the part of the viewer. Edit viciously.

• The personal touch about why the FX8 appeals to you in a gigging situation wherein you sing and play at the same time is good stuff. These are real world considerations. Comparing and contrasting to the ‘old norm’ is very valuable.

• The 1st three minutes of the video can be condensed into a quick rundown as to why one would choose an FX8, who it is designed for and what it does.

• Overall, the video is too long and could have been structured to be more concise. The 6 minute pre-amble could have been reduced to 2 minutes by following a succinct outline.

• What is the 4CM? It is mentioned three times within the first 4.5 minutes. One can’t assume that anyone else knows what it is. Most people won’t even know how powerful this is and that it lets you place effects before and after the pre-amp stage of an amp. That’s a huge deal but the viewer won’t know that by the end of the video.

• I’m sure that you are aware of the varying volume level of your narration around the 6:00 mark.

• When moving the camera, consider these as places where one could ‘cut’ to where the camera is now in place. Instead of us having to have the camera shaking around, it could just cut to the camera being in place. Adjust the narration to suit. This is around the 6:20 mark.

• No need to show the Røde NT-1. Just tell the viewer that the sounds are from “a Røde NT-1 condenser mic about 7 ft. back from the cab” or similar.

• Consider condensing all of the listing of features (that you’d like to present) into one section of the video so that all of this primary information is in one place and users don’t have to hunt for it even though it is listed on the website (I’d guess). Statements as to True Bypass Switching, more than 30 pedal types, etc.
This helps to prime the brain to receive the information at the appropriate time as there is much information to take in and when this information is then stated subsequently, as in: 'This is a TS-model' or 'Listen to the lack of difference between in circuit bypass and completely out of circuit', these concepts won’t be entirely new to the viewer and it will be clearer as to what is being presented (and why) at a given moment. It’s very difficult to hear the data, make sense of it and listen to the effect (or lack thereof) when it is all presented simultaneously and for the first time; within the space of a few seconds. If it happens once or twice in a video, that’s not so bad as people can simply rewind. If it is the norm, it is asking too much of the viewer and is avoidable in either case.

• Write everything out as an outline, do a few dry runs and then edit the outline. Repeat as necessary. It seems like you did sketch an outline (at least mentally) and did follow it. That’s a good thing.

• Parcellate things: demo the boosts & drives, then modulation, then comp types, etc. Chunk it. Leave direct links to these parts in your video description.

• Consider using a separate mic, on a stand, for your narrative voice. This can be recorded to a separate track and muted and mixed against the room mic. If recording direct to the camera, and it has a line input, the Røde could go to the left channel and the other mic to the right channel. Then mix in mono as this is all in mono anyhow.
I literally can’t turn up my laptop to be loud enough to understand your words during the discussion of the looper and most of what follows through to the closing… and my hearing is good… just had it tested :D

• Wah discussion at 12:37: It would be better to explain how the Auto-Engage function works. Stating that one can “just step on it and go for it” isn’t a clear explanation as to how this works and of what benefit it is to the viewer. Also, it is potentially confusing as there is clearly a stomp switch integrated into the Mission pedal. You and I know what and why this is. Most people don’t, especially the intended market for the FX8.
Yes, it ends with “heel down and the wah is off again”. I get it, although it could stand to be more clear.

• Approach product concepts and video formatting as if viewing things for the first time and as someone who is unfamiliar with the brand & product

All of these things are meant as constructive criticism of an otherwise nicely done and informative video and are in the spirit of food for thought for future videos that you may wish to produce. Obviously, I don’t know the constraints or your situation so recommendations like using a separate mic could be simply discarded based upon practicality.

Whoa! Thanks, it's great feedback and lots of good points. If I'd though anyone would scrutinize to this extent I would have made a better effort :). I just plugged in a mic, hit record on the daw and the iPhone camera and then started talking. No script or pre-plan really. BTW I didn't really intend to NOT show my face, I got down on the floor at the beginning to get into the shot but later when I watched it I saw that my head was cropped off. :)

Cheers

Hey ccroyalsenders

I have my unit on its way and decided to youtube some AXEfx videos for building blocks. I noticed you are the guy who is explaining this process. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amXhupCmAo Will you be putting together a detail setup for the FX8? Fractal is completely new to me and I thought you did a great job detailing things..

Hello Robboman,

Crikey!! The only thing you left out was a mark, eg, C+ with perhaps a "Please see me after class" LOL!!!

Last edited:
:tickled_pink:
I've written, produced and directed a LOT of product videos... The analysis aspect is second nature at this point. Again, I hope that my post will be seen as having been done in the spirit of being helpful and nothing else. :encouragement:

:tickled_pink:
I've written, produced and directed a LOT of product videos... The analysis aspect is second nature at this point. Again, I hope that my post will be seen as having been done in the spirit of being helpful and nothing else. :encouragement:

It was a brilliant critique full of great advice; it's just that it reminded me of my school report many (many) years ago :) Well done sir!

Back
Top Bottom