FX8 V5.04 Released

@Admin M@ Not that you should upgrade more features, but you should fix the 5.04 issue
Hi Joe and others,

While I think it may have become unlikely that the FX8 will get another firmware update, I want to let you know in the same breath that we have made some deep changes to ensure that firmware updates for the FM3 shouldn't require anything near the level of "porting" that the AX8 and FX8 did. Some of these changes were architectural, others were procedural, and others were organizational. The "unified family" strategy is one of the hidden benefits to spill over from the Axe-Fx III redesign. Only time will prove what I'm saying, but FM3 owners will truly enjoy the updates we'll offer.

I also want to speak to the comment that FX8 or AX8 were "abandoned". Each of these products had a long "run" with plenty of firmware updates. Their widespread use around the world demonstrates that they sound great, work great, and will continue to be used by pros, semi-pros, hobbyist and bedroom players for years to come. A member here posted a stark comparison about a $1000 competing product which hasn't had a firmware update in over ten years.
Not that you should upgrade more features, but you should fix the 5.04 issue

I think that bug should at least be fixed.

I also read a statement in the wiki that ax8 and fx8 are the same effects software porting.
So those effects updates that ax8 users have received should be easily enough ported to fx8.
Is that not a possibility @Admin M@

quote from the wiki below

The FX-8 and AX8 are built on the same code base. There is a single folder that is used to build the common elements for both products. Enhancements to one automatically enhance the other. All this work we've been doing for the AX8 will improve the FX-8

Last edited:
I think that bug should at least be fixed.

I also read a statement in the wiki that ax8 and fx8 are the same effects software porting.
So those effects updates that ax8 users have received should be easily enough ported to fx8.
Is that not a possibility @Admin M@

quote from the wiki below

The FX-8 and AX8 are built on the same code base. There is a single folder that is used to build the common elements for both products. Enhancements to one automatically enhance the other. All this work we've been doing for the AX8 will improve the FX-8

I totally agree, seems weird to leave this product with a buggy final firmware when all the others have had updates. I’d like to see the final AX8 effects to be added (harmonic trem) and the bugs fixed.

Also hoping this issue gets sorted. Seems crazy to go to the trouble of creating the update but leaving it rendered pretty useless by not being able to backup the FX8. I've rolled back the firmware but really want to make use of the features in 5.04

I’m sure the FX8 has been abandoned, there’s been no development for ages, despite Fractal announcing there would be. That’s why I won’t be getting any of Fractals floor based units in the future (I currently have an AX8 and an FX8 and a Axe III), they have too short a life span due to the processing limitations vs the rack units.

Pretty tragic considering the FX8 is probably the greatest sounding floor based FX unit around. I've just bought one second hand to compare with the Helix that I've been using for the last few years. It's generally much better quality but is let down by a fair few features that are simple firmware fixes. Really tragic to see the FX8 go to the scrap heap for such easily fixable firmware updates. I guess there's very little impetuous for companies to support a product no longer in production but it's not cool for those of us who still have faith in the unit and see its potential not reached. Ecologically unsound to see these going to waste when the FX8 covers almost every base you could want from a floorboard multi FX. Still can't believe they didn't make more MIDI blocks available per preset too - something that Line 6 has had as standard from the HD series onwards. Really dumb to have to use a scene to change channels on a MIDI controllable amp when you've used up the 2 MIDI blocks.
Still, I'm going to work with it until I hit a brick wall because the effects sound so good.

Just bought a second hand one which came with the 5.04 firmware. I managed to upload the factory presets with ht latest Fractal Bot. It is for band use with a Marshall JCM 800 clone on a 4x12. This will be sheer majesticness (majesty?) in comparison to the mere hd500x i used before. That will still be great bang for the buck for its next owner...

Reactions: Rex
Just bought a second hand one which came with the 5.04 firmware. I managed to upload the factory presets with ht latest Fractal Bot. It is for band use with a Marshall JCM 800 clone on a 4x12. This will be sheer majesticness (majesty?) in comparison to the mere hd500x i used before. That will still be great bang for the buck for its next owner...
Yes, elect to experience much magicnocity. :). It will serve you well.

Back
Top Bottom