FX8 V5.04 Released

Well, I guess hang in there guys.

Just a few bits of info I read elsewhere that could explain the delay.. or not, I'm just speculating really..

1. Joe Rogers used to do the FX8 and AX8 firmware updates, but he left Fractal Nov 2017. Not clear if anyone replaced him or not.

2. Michael Pickens (Axe-Edit) stepped in to post the last AX8 firmware update to 9.04 back in Jan. Not sure if he did the actual port/compile work that time, but either way we know he must be super busy building Axe-Edit for the Axe-Fx III.

3. In the AX8 forum, guys are excitedly waiting/hoping for an AX8 port of 10.1 amp modelling that came out for Ax-Fx II several weeks ago. Just yesterday, in that AX8 thread Cliff posted "It's going to be a few weeks. I've got a few other things that take priority right now but then I'll get onto this." That sort of implies Cliff will do the next AX8 firmware himself when he gets time (and presumably FX8).

4. Cliff made a couple other interesting posts yesterday... that a big container of new IIIs arrives today, and that the release notes for upcoming III firmware 1.09 update are now 2 pages long.

So clearly Axe-Fx III work will be top priority for the next "few weeks" at least. Not sure how the FX8 ranks in priority, but you can speculate.

Hey, If anyone knows a good senior firmware engineer looking for work... :)

All, Just a note that we are still aware of the issue with 5.04 for the FX8 and do intend to pay this product some attention once the dust settles on our company-wide effort of launching the Axe-Fx III and FC series. Thanks for your patience and the cool-headed discussion above.

All, Just a note that we are still aware of the issue with 5.04 for the FX8 and do intend to pay this product some attention once the dust settles on our company-wide effort of launching the Axe-Fx III and FC series. Thanks for your patience and the cool-headed discussion above.
Thank you for the information :cool:

That's so nice to hear, thank you! :)
After the bugs are fixed would be great to have more updates... maybe take a look or two in the Wish List section! ;)

Where else are we gonna go? Line 6? They are a toy in comparison.

My kingdom for multi-band compression in the FX8. That would free up two full blocks in most of my presets and give me better results.

It's been a couple months since these comments were made. Now that AFX3 was updated a couple weeks ago, and AX8 a few days after that - can we get some kind of feedback on status?

I'd like to know where (or if?) we still fit into Fractal's work queue. Is there any work being on FX8 to fix this issue?

Better yet, is there any work being done behind the scenes to provide a more meaningful update? (not just a bug fix). Thanks (and sorry for expressing frustrations like this).

No disrespect to all it is what it and I appreciate the FX8 and knowing this before purchases 2-3yrs ago. The FX8 was not something FAS wanted to put out. I think the drum was beaten just loud enough to have them make an effects system for us real amp lovers. With that in mind be happy with whatever they give us with updates/upgrades its all gravy. We have the best effects on the market. IMHO. I think if people are wanting lots of upgrades and bells & whistles upgrade to AX8, AxeFx 1,2,3. They are the flag ship of company because this there strong point in the market. So when purchasing the FX8 keep in mind its really not a tone chasers ultimate unit, and upgrades really are not need constantly.

"Plug in and Play Loud"
& "Do not drink and drive, drink to excess or drink with certain medications or medical conditions."
Thx My 2cents.

No disrespect to all it is what it and I appreciate the FX8 and knowing this before purchases 2-3yrs ago. The FX8 was not something FAS wanted to put out. I think the drum was beaten just loud enough to have them make an effects system for us real amp lovers. With that in mind be happy with whatever they give us with updates/upgrades its all gravy. We have the best effects on the market. IMHO. I think if people are wanting lots of upgrades and bells & whistles upgrade to AX8, AxeFx 1,2,3. They are the flag ship of company because this there strong point in the market. So when purchasing the FX8 keep in mind its really not a tone chasers ultimate unit, and upgrades really are not need constantly.

"Plug in and Play Loud"
& "Do not drink and drive, drink to excess or drink with certain medications or medical conditions."
Thx My 2cents.

I sincerely don't believe Fractal sees it that way either. They're in business to sell products. They need us more than we need them. Screwing up the FX8 all but guarantees we'll never cross-over to AFX. In a way, I'm sure they see FX8 as some sort of 'gateway drug' into a lifelong Fractal addiction.

Besides, we are entitled to updates just like every other Fractal customer. That's how they sold it to us, and that's how they still market it new customers on their own website. As of today, it still claims "And more! Upgradeable firmware means the FX8 will get updates and new features."

So any relevant F/X-related update that is compatible with our hardware, should absolutely be passed on to us in a timely manner. Let's just leave it at that, until FRACTAL says they're giving up on it, ok?

Admin M has already indicated that they'd be giving us some attention once they got through the latest AFX3 release. I'm OK with that. I'd just be interested in knowing how (or if) that project was moving along.

I think there will be updates but the FX-8 is one of their least priorities right now....so wait we must, but venting isn't going to get it any quicker...just what I think

Besides, we are entitled to updates just like every other Fractal customer. That's how they sold it to us, and that's how they still market it new customers on their own website. As of today, it still claims "And more! Upgradeable firmware means the FX8 will get updates and new features."

So any relevant F/X-related update that is compatible with our hardware, should absolutely be passed on to us in a timely manner. Let's just leave it at that, until FRACTAL says they're giving up on it, ok?

Admin M has already indicated that they'd be giving us some attention once they got through the latest AFX3 release. I'm OK with that. I'd just be interested in knowing how (or if) that project was moving along.

I really hope this is written as some sort of ironic joke.

Overall, I am fine with the FX8 so far. Using it now for gigging too.

The pitch block is the only effect which I am not satisfied. Although I have checked all the tips on reducing the CPU-load, the latency when playing harmonies at faster tempo, is just too much ...

I put some hope in future firmware which hopefully solves the latency problem with the pitch block effect.

wolbai

Overall, I am fine with the FX8 so far. Using it now for gigging too.

The pitch block is the only effect which I am not satisfied. Although I have checked all the tips on reducing the CPU-load, the latency when playing harmonies at faster tempo, is just too much ...

I put some hope in future firmware which hopefully solves the latency problem with the pitch block effect.

wolbai

It seems like latency would be a product of the hardware's horsepower, rather than software.

They might be able to reduce latency by using a lower quality algorithm, but that would mean more "glitch" in your sounds. Maybe there's already a quality setting you can adjust (I'm not in front of my FX8 or FX8-EDIT to verify).

Personally, I've been pretty happy with the whammy/harmony features. They're better/faster than the actual DigiTech Whammy pedal (last time I checked). I figure that's more than I could ask for. And the "smart" harmony is smarter than most on top of that.

FWIW, the old Line 6 M-series pedals had a pretty fast latency turnaround for whammy/harmony. Faster than DigiTech and FX8, but..... Line 6' algorithms don't sound as good. They will glitch more on chords and extraneous noises. Maybe that's a compromise you could live with for faster turnaround? (keep in mind, it might be faster - but not much - you'd definitely want to try before you buy).

I have the new Lline 6 HX Effects. The whammy/harmony sounds better than M-series, but I haven't compared latency. I've been thinking of picking up the Whammy 5, just because. If I do, I'll need to do some sample recordings and measure the turnaround latency for the various processors.

Back
Top Bottom