FX8 V5.03 Public Beta

J

joe rogers

The FX8 V5.03 Public Beta is now available for download. As this is beta firmware, there may be bugs or other unintended issues. As always, please back up your FX8 with Fractal Bot before installing new firmware. Please ensure you download the correct firmware for your device.

FX8 Original V5.03 Public Beta
FX8 Mark II V5.03 Public Beta

Release Notes:

FX8 V5.03 is a minor enhancement release incorporating the Axe-FX Quantum V7.01 and V7.02 changes.

Additions:
  • Added Input Diffusion to Multitap block Band Delay, Quad Series, Plex Delay, Plex Detune and Plex Shift types.
  • Added two new “Optical” types to Compressor block. The Optical 1 type is based on classic optical tube compressors famed for their smooth sound. Use before the Amp block to smooth out your licks and increase sustain. Use after the Amp block for instant “Hit Record” sound. The Optical 2 type is similar to Optical 1 but uses a true RMS detector.
  • Added Input Level switch to Pedal and Optical types in Compressor block. Use “Instrument” when compressor is placed before Amp block. Use “Line” when compressor is placed after.
  • Added “Shimmer Drive” type to Drive block.

Fixes:
  • Fixed Optical and Pedal compressors output level dependent upon Ratio parameter of Studio type. If using these types in existing presets the presets should be auditioned to ensure the volume is correct.
  • Fixed switching between Optical compressor types can cause brief level drop.

Hi Joe, thanks for fixing the modifier bug. Are you going to update the manual with an explanation of the new compressors and shimmer diffusion options?

Raised a support ticket. I upgraded from 5.02 to 5.03 on saturdayevening and played around with a complex preset of mine where I connected 7 modifiers to my external pedal so it could 'morph' smoothly from Chorus to cleanfunk to rythm to a LEad sound with just moving the volume pedal. In 5.02 this caused cracks and plops when I moved my pedal. After upgrading to 5.0.3 it seemed fixed (see releasenotes modifier bug) but then on Sunday I played with this preset again and suddenly I couldnt get out of the preset. So I restarted the unit. Then I got into factory/utility mode where I could not get out of. The power on hold setup thing did not work and Fractal bot gives an error. So I now need to send it to g66.eu so they can have a look.

Attachments

• 20170409_160232.jpg
    20170409_160232.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20170409_161157 (1).jpg
    20170409_161157 (1).jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20170409_160237.jpg
    20170409_160237.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 24
are they any good so far? I find they really cut down the levels of a preset. But I do not have experience with optical compressors so maybe this is what they are supposed to be doing?
They're quite good, but you do have to bump the level a bit.

They're quite good, but you do have to bump the level a bit.
And make sure you are using LINE rather than INSTRUMENT input on the Optical Comp ...and some have recommended using them in POST instead of PRE..experimentation is encouraged!

are they any good so far? I find they really cut down the levels of a preset. But I do not have experience with optical compressors so maybe this is what they are supposed to be doing?

Yes. This explanation below is overly simplifed but here goes: the compressor changes/controls the dynamics of the input notes you play as it "sees them" coming it.

It is intended to bring up lower volume notes and pare back higher volume ones above threshold levels you set - to even things out. It cna be a very light thing, to add a little sustain and smooth out your volume level overall, or a heavy thing to "squash" all dynamics and be heavily compressed, as a lot of 1980's DI or clean guitars were, from funk to Adrian Belew. Slide players liked compressors because it helps notes to sustain.

So, to the degree that a compressor does this and reduces the volume of the signal coming compared to it leaving the compressor going out, that's when you raise the output db level in the Compressor block to "make up" that volume reduction caused by the compressor. Most compressors used add 2-3db gain, but it can go as high as 6db or more depending on the source material and how much you are squashing the sound.

Hope that helps! The optical compressors sound different than the pedal ones, just another variety of how they react to and process/compress the signal.

All that classic rock guitar stuff you love? Compressed between 1.5:1 ratio to a 4:1 ratio, then db/volume raised to keep volume same level as when compressor is turned off -- that makes the sound punchier and "in your face. The higher the ratio, the more you will hear the compressor working and changing the signal.

For bass guitars, they are usually compressed even higher, often 8:1 or more -- more of a "limiter" than a compressor.

Again, this is over simplified but should help.

Loving the Shimmer Drive! Really good stuff. Getting familiar with the Compressor now, anyone have any good suggestions on getting a smooth lead sound (line or input and settings)?

Can someone tell me what the "shimmer drive" is? Or what is the effects unit/box it is supposed to be emulating? I'm not familiar with this drive. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom