FX8 U2 presets exchange

Agostino81

Hi all, i am a big fan of U2 band and i want to start this discussion for share and exchange our FX8 .Syx files

c' mon people :)

There was talk of exchange of patches being built into FX8Edit... not sure if that's still a go... you could see about converting Axe FX presets to blocks using the utility in the AX8 forum.. never tried it but it may get you there.

It must be this tool you are talking about:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...ween-axe-fx-ii-models-and-to-from-ax8.112538/

I’ve tried it but there is no support for FX8. You can’t export blocks. Surprisingly enough you actually can export single blocs, but only as syx-files. Then I installed AX8-Edit in order to open the syx-files and see the blocs visually. When I tried to import the whole line I got an error message saying that “AX8 is not compatible with this firmware”, and when trying to open only the block this error message opened: “block not valid (bad checksum)

Hi guys, in effect i started this post for share our FX8 .syx files

I have some U2 FX8 .syx file ready to share, but i am a new user in the forum and i need about 10 posts before to share my files

If somebody has some U2 .syx file from the FX8, can start to share here :)

We only ever play Pride or Where the Streets and I don't nail Edge's tone precisely, but this patch gets the job done for me. Quite addicting actually! Tweak to your own taste... I run mono but I can only imagine how juicy this could sound with the delays/reverb in stereo.

4CM mode
guitar in --> compressor --> drive --> loop to preamp --> delay --> multidelay --> reverb --> out to power amp

Compressor is pedal style with moderate sustain
Drive is the AC boost just to push the preamp a bit (usually off, I engage it occasionally)
Delay is 2290 with modulation, dotted 8th repeats (tap your tempo in)
Multidelay is set up as a shimmer (normally off, I turn it on for ambience, for ex. Pride verses; I think Edge does use a similar effect in the rack)
Reverb is a hall, low in the mix (just to wet the signal a bit more)

I run this patch with a Soldano X88 preamp on a pushed clean setting, and the middle p/u position of a Suhr Classic T. Happy Edging!!!

Edit: I may have saved this prior to the FW v.3 update... so you may have to plop down your own blocks.

Attachments

• U2 Edge.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 76
Hi,

Are there any news to this or have you exchanged presets or experiences, so far? Is this the right place for such a thing or is it not better to write Emails (In case you prefer to mail me, my email is: alienlovesecrets@gmx.de)?

I am very interested as I play in a U2 tribute band and I am always looking for good presets or for ways to improve mine (my, my, why can´t Edge just play guitar ;-) ). I already have a bunch of presets on my fx8 for our latest setlist (about 40 presets (one per song) with 1-6 scenes each). They are not perfect (and never will, even U2 sounds always different on different occasions/gigs). Much also depends in many cases/songs on your equipment and your preferences and playing style/technique (yes, really) or simply to your taste (not every live sound of U2 is perfect (some are horrible!), maybe you can do better in some cases and it will make the song "better"). So I, personally, found my own way through the last few years to handle these aspects. I think there is no "one patch fits all players" thing.

Yes and no. I've never been interested in precisely nailing someone's tone. I have my preferred amp, favorite sounds, etc. and when I play covers often add my own interpretation to the notes. But in many cases a certain guitar tone or effect is central to the song, and U2 are an often cited example of this.

True, there is no "one patch fits all" and that is especially true for the FX8, but that doesn't mean we can't learn from each other.

In my side job I play in a U2 tribute band so "nailing the tone" is quite important to be among the good tribute bands. I have just started an Email communication with somebody from the forum about recreating Edge's tones with simply an AC30 and the fx8 (the "easiest " way). Does anybody want to join the communication?

We could also do it here but I don't know if it is ok for the community / forum administration to do so. Within the forum it would be easier (for me) to communicate and more U2ers could see the posts, of course.

Last edited:
Im also quite interested in u2 presets. I just got my fx8 and have been making up some patches from u2 tutorials, converting his afx2 settings, but shimmer is a big one. I have a Neunaber Seraphim, but want to find a way to do that same shimmer effect internally

Im also quite interested in u2 presets. I just got my fx8 and have been making up some patches from u2 tutorials, converting his afx2 settings, but shimmer is a big one. I have a Neunaber Seraphim, but want to find a way to do that same shimmer effect internally
The issue with the fx8 for a U2 shimmer is you can’t split the signal so it may get muddy with everything being a mono line (edge has shimmer on its own path). For shimmer, tweak the plexshift in the multidelay. Edges shimmer is quite dark so you probably don’t want to exceed 10000 hz. I have it set so I can control the mix via expression pedal.

I did just thta this past weekend. the sound is good... well enough to get rid of my Neunaber pedal. BUT--as you said--having it in a mono line makes it very hard for me to use it without having it basically always on. i do have an expression pedal, and I can use it to increase the effect, but on ,max it's too much, and on minimum my signal is too low compared to the non-shimmer signal. I tried decreasing the level in the preset and got to a place that i could live with, having it at about 45%. I don't think there is any way for me to use it like Edge does, but is it possible that i'm just controlling the wrong parameter with my exp. pedal? I tried using it on the in gain and that didn't work at all. I now have it set on the level control in the mix tab. Is there a better option?

I did just thta this past weekend. the sound is good... well enough to get rid of my Neunaber pedal. BUT--as you said--having it in a mono line makes it very hard for me to use it without having it basically always on. i do have an expression pedal, and I can use it to increase the effect, but on ,max it's too much, and on minimum my signal is too low compared to the non-shimmer signal. I tried decreasing the level in the preset and got to a place that i could live with, having it at about 45%. I don't think there is any way for me to use it like Edge does, but is it possible that i'm just controlling the wrong parameter with my exp. pedal? I tried using it on the in gain and that didn't work at all. I now have it set on the level control in the mix tab. Is there a better option?
You should be able to turn it on/off by assigning to a switch, just like any effect. The expression pedal is just to control the mix. When the expression pedal is down, you can set it so the mix level is 0%, which is off. When engaged you probably want no more than 50% mix. The mono signal just means it might sound bad going to one amplifier with the rest of your effects, it has no effect on the actual shimmer being on or off.

Thing is though when i have the expression pedal all the way down it doesnt just cut out the shimmer. The guitar tone that comes through is super saturated with reverb and the overall level is much lower than when its bypassed.

And yes, ive got the MTD assigned to a footswitch to bypass, but i wish i could just ramp it in/out with the ev-1

Thing is though when i have the expression pedal all the way down it doesnt just cut out the shimmer. The guitar tone that comes through is super saturated with reverb and the overall level is much lower than when its bypassed.

And yes, ive got the MTD assigned to a footswitch to bypass, but i wish i could just ramp it in/out with the ev-1
Not sure how that’s happening. You don’t need the switch, when the expression is disengaged it should also turn the effect off completely like a switch unless you’re setting the off position as starting at like 10% mix or something. I just like having both switch and expression to engage/disengage. It could be your current shimmer settings or maybe your ev1 is broken and doesn’t truly turn off?

Not sure how that’s happening. You don’t need the switch, when the expression is disengaged it should also turn the effect off completely like a switch unless you’re setting the off position as starting at like 10% mix or something. I just like having both switch and expression to engage/disengage. It could be your current shimmer settings or maybe your ev1 is broken and doesn’t truly turn off?
Hmmm...my ev-1 is literally brand new: fresh out of the box.

In my control settings i have the start at 0%, middle at 50% and end at 100%

Are you running the MTD in series or parallel? And what kind of bypass is set on that fx block?

Back
Top Bottom