FX8 - Two amps one cab

Jr125

Not sure if this is possible or a silly question but I'd like an answer!

What I want to know is if it's possible to run a FX8 with two amps (specifically a Mark V 25 and Shiva EL34 reverb) through one cab. Not simultaneously, rather switched through a Radial Headbone VT (or similar). The headbone is designed for two amps, one cab but I'm not sure about something like the FX8 in the loop as well.

Unlike most two amp setups, this isn't stereo, rather just two different amp setups running in the same unit. I also wonder if the channel switching would work with two amps as well. This would mean having different presets setup in the FX8 that are Mark or Shiva specific, with channel switching for each. Basically the Headbone would be used to control which amp and the FX8 to control channels and effects.

Having a way to switch amps via the FX8 through the Headbone via some sort of midi setup would be cool but I feel that's getting too complex! I'm sure some sort of RJM thingy would do the job...

I hope this makes sense! :D

the headbone VT looks like it has a jack to control remotely so you should be able to use the FX8 relay to switch between the heads

the headbone VT looks like it has a jack to control remotely so you should be able to use the FX8 relay to switch between the heads

How many relays can the FX8 run though? You'd need two minimum - channel switching per head + one for switching heads.

Here's what I would do: dial in your preset(s) on the FX8 to work with both amps (not amp specific) and go from there.

I run a JCM800 + a Twin with the FX8 and Radial Bigshot ABY. I don't set up any of my effects to be amp specific. Everything is meant to work on both a clean and dirty amp (as originally it was FX8-OCD-JCM800).

Just make sure all your time-based effects are set to mono and you should be good.

Back
Top Bottom