Fx8 strange noise / tone problems.

jhsg

Hello

I am using the fx8 mk1 with humbuster cables in the 4CM. I am having this problem where there's some tone difference and a little flange/phase type sound. When I hit the true bypass mode it disappears and the tone sounds perfect..

I've tried resetting the fx8, using different cables and setting up a new preset but everytime I turn the bypass off I can hear it. I've confirmed no flange or phaser effects are on.

Has anyone got any idea what could be causing this? It's driving me insane

Hello

I am using the fx8 mk1 with humbuster cables in the 4CM. I am having this problem where there's some tone difference and a little flange/phase type sound. When I hit the true bypass mode it disappears and the tone sounds perfect..

I've tried resetting the fx8, using different cables and setting up a new preset but everytime I turn the bypass off I can hear it. I've confirmed no flange or phaser effects are on.

Has anyone got any idea what could be causing this? It's driving me insane

What amp are you using, and is it a parallel FX loop?

I was just reading something that said I need to set the fx8 to 100% wet to avoid 'comb filtering'.

I'll have to look through the settings on the fx8 to make sure I've got it set correctly.

I was just reading something that said I need to set the fx8 to 100% wet to avoid 'comb filtering'.

I'll have to look through the settings on the fx8 to make sure I've got it set correctly.

That would indeed be the case if you have your amp's loop set to parallel. In parallel, you're blending FX8 effects with your amp's dry tone, and there is just enough latency going in and out of the FX8 DSP to cause comb filtering. Using True Bypass disables the DSP, which is why it seems like this is your problem.

But if you have your amp loop set to serial, the entire signal is routing through the FX8, and any possible comb filtering you might hear would be happening within the preset you're using (like a Flanger block).

That would indeed be the case if you have your amp's loop set to parallel. In parallel, you're blending FX8 effects with your amp's dry tone, and there is just enough latency going in and out of the FX8 DSP to cause comb filtering. Using True Bypass disables the DSP, which is why it seems like this is your problem.

But if you have your amp loop set to serial, the entire signal is routing through the FX8, and any possible comb filtering you might hear would be happening within the preset you're using (like a Flanger block).

Appreciate the feedback. This stuff is a bit over my head. :/

I had a look and I'm running the loop in serial. Do you think I should try to flick to parallel or is the better approach adjusting settings on the fx8 to allow me to keep it in serial?

Some effect loops bleed dry signal even in series mode which will cause comb filtering when using digital effects due to the delay through the processor. This is one of the reasons parallel loops were created.

Back
Top Bottom