FX8 relay switching with Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster

frankyandreas

Inspired
I've been %100 satisfied with my AxeFX XL, in fact more so every time I use it. I'm considering saving up for a FX8, but I'm looking for some insight. I'd be using it in conjunction with a Mesa Roadster, and I was hoping someone with more know-how than me could talk me through my relay switching options.

1) Does anyone know if the Roadster's TRS jacks are Short to Sleeve? (I've emailed Boogie, so this question isn't a priority)

2) What are my options doing this via midi?

I'm sure this is obvious, but less cost = better. Also, less setup/tear-down = better.

Thanks!

You've got a couple of options, either 2 TRS to TS Y-cables (long enough to reach from your FX8 to your amp), or MIDI via something like the RJM Mini Amp Gizmo and an interface cable to connect to the amp's footswitch port. The cable option is cheaper. Set up/tear down time is probably no different.

Based on what I've gleaned from the FX8 Manual, I would say that the cable method and the 2 Relay Blocks would better suit using the FX8 in stompbox mode, but I think you would have to do a bit of tap-dancing to switch between 4 amp channels. The advantage of going the MIDI route, using a RJM Mini Amp Gizmo, is that you can get a custom interface cable from RJM so that you can access all of your Roadster's footswitch functions. Also you don't have to sacrifice any of the FX Blocks as a PC message is automatically transmitted when a Scene is changed on the FX8.

Disclaimer: I don't own a FX8, so my comments are based on my understanding having surfed the User Manual. Don't shoot me if I've misunderstood something. :) However, I used a Mini Amp Gizmo with a Dual Rec rig for several years and found it to be a great bit of kit. RJM are nice guys to do business with, too.

You can also control the relays per scene change with out a dedicated block. You don't have to use a relay block unless you want to specifically stomp it in a preset. I do both with my Mark 5:25, and it works great.

I emailed Mesa Boogie about my Express 5:50 and received a reply within a few hours. They advised using a TS cable for the 5:50, which is compatible with the FX8.

Thanks guys!

Gives me plenty to think about. I won't hold anyone on the forum accountable for my results, I promise!

I'm probably leaning toward a setup more preset friendly and less stompbox friendly, if that makes sense. The Amp gizmo means a little more money, but I don't have the money to drop on an FX8 right now anyway. I'd rather save up for the setup that gives me the greatest ease of use on-stage.

Using the Roadster foot pedal isn't much easier than using an FCB, if that helps explain. I need to cool it on the tap-dancing. But I haven't made up my mind, great food for thought. Thanks guys!

You can also control the relays per scene change with out a dedicated block. You don't have to use a relay block unless you want to specifically stomp it in a preset. I do both with my Mark 5:25, and it works great.

That sounds like it could work for me, how do I do that without using a relay block? I have a boogie rectoverb 25 which really does sound good with the FX8 as well.

That sounds like it could work for me, how do I do that without using a relay block? I have a boogie rectoverb 25 which really does sound good with the FX8 as well.

On the main screen, page over to the CFG tab. One the left hand side of the screen, you will see a menu that allows you to setup signal path options( SER/PAR). If you scroll down, you will see RELAY 1 and RELAY 2. These are set per scene. For more information see the manual on page 37:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/FX8/FX8-Owners-Manual.pdf

On the main screen, page over to the CFG tab. One the left hand side of the screen, you will see a menu that allows you to setup signal path options( SER/PAR). If you scroll down, you will see RELAY 1 and RELAY 2. These are set per scene. For more information see the manual on page 37:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/FX8/FX8-Owners-Manual.pdf

Thanks Joe, So if there's no relay block in the entire preset it will still switch channels on my amp per scene if I set this?

Thanks Joe, So if there's no relay block in the entire preset it will still switch channels on my amp per scene if I set this?

Yes, every time the scene changes (include a new preset), the relay state will change.

Back
Top Bottom