FX8 Question

cyberk9

Inspired
I turned off the Cab simulation and turned off the amp in AXE Edit on my AXE FX II then pumped it into my Quilter Toneblock 200 into my Jet City 2X12..........so I am wondering by doing this..... is this what the FX8 will sound like?

The FX8 has no AMP or CAB sims, so you'd normally not use it right into a tone block and cab.
It was designed to be used with an amp so you'll have the usual controls like drive, tone, etc.

Here's a sample diagram for the 4-cable method,
For every preset, you can determine how many of the eight effects are PRE vs.
The guitar is connected to PRE IN, which hits your PRE effects. The PRE OUT goes to your amp's main input.
The amp's FX SEND connects to POST IN on the FX8, where it hits POST effects and goes from POST OUT back to the amp.
Of course, you can use either JUST the PRE, or JUST the POST section too...

FX8_Manual-Draft-v0p7.docx.png

Last edited:
Thanks that was what I needed to hear...now it's a question of should I just save my money and add to it and get a second AXE II....one for the bar gigs and one for my studio lol

Here's a sample diagram for the 4-cable method,
For every preset, you can determine how many of the eight effects are PRE vs.
The guitar is connected to PRE IN, which hits your PRE effects. The PRE OUT goes to your amp's main input.
The amp's FX SEND connects to POST IN on the FX8, where it hits POST effects and goes from POST OUT back to the amp.
Of course, you can use either JUST the PRE, or JUST the POST section too...
skitch.png

M@-man, FYI your link is broke (evernote style).

Along the same line of question, can the FX8 be a dedicated box to conduct the effects/tone processing, then simply link it to the AFX for your Amp/Cab simulation?

Do you understand my question? Meaning, if you had a heavy CPU utilization on a preset, would the FX8 ease some of that processing by being a dedicated effects unit and easily link it into you AFX dedicated to simulating amps and cabs? Probably a really stupid/simple question but just didn't know the target audience for the unit design. I was more thinking that you guys were looking at making a run at having people replace the Strymon type pedals ya know mang??

Thanks dudio.

Yes, you can use the FX8 with an Axe-Fx. Personally, I've enjoyed setting it up for eight PRE effects, the connecting to the instrument input of my Axe-Fx.

All of a sudden, things are very convenient and unburdened.

I'll fix the image above.

After much thinking about it .I'm going for the FX8.....this little dude is an amazing piece of gear (Quilter Tone Block 200) I think this and the FX8 will be one bad ass rig.....My whole Guitar rig in a suitcase (well almost) go figure....and .....able to keep up with any Marshall full stack......because I got an unbridled 200 watts of clean...LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnWIhK5qqmY

Hey Granja55!

What's that unit you have below the furman? And where did you get the cable/snake looking setup?

I'm impatiently waiting for the FX8 and I'm going to be using it with a pair of THD flexi's with the 4cm for a flexible full stereo setup and the cable management isn't looking so pretty unless I can get something like what you have set up.

TIA!

Does anyone know what level the effects loop send on the FX8 is supposed to be?

I'm running a THD Flexi and it has a Line level (+4db) loop so I'm hoping it's the same level; I don't want a bunch of noise in my rig.

TIA!

Are patches that get developed for the FX8 able to be loaded / converted to the Axe II XL? I can I only imagine the great sounds you guys are going to get out of these.

Does anyone know what level the effects loop send on the FX8 is supposed to be?

I'm running a THD Flexi and it has a Line level (+4db) loop so I'm hoping it's the same level; I don't want a bunch of noise in my rig.

TIA!

It's programmable. You can set it to +4 dBu or -10 dBv.

DatWunGai,

Okay here it is;
12 hole pre punched Patch panel
Redco 1U Punched XLR Rack Panels | Redco Audio

Labels
Redco DP LABEL | Redco Audio

¼ TRS Feedthru Connectors
Redco PM-TRS/TRS | Redco Audio

George L’s Cables and Plugs… $1.49/LF
https://stompin-ground.com/products/sgcablegls155.htm

Braided Cable Sleeve
WireCare.com - Your Cable Management SuperStore!

The XLR feedthru connectors are outputs to the FOH board. This is all feedthru connectors and George L’s. So the good part is, there is no soldering involved.

This is NOT an inexpensive cable assembly. I was able to cannibalize all of my George L plugs from my previous rack set-up. 6 x 22ft of the colored George L’s cables cost $200+ alone.

Also, I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this setup will be hum-free. As I’ve read discussions about having a TRS cable in the mix (to the guitar input, I think); but I will be going from a pedalboard mounted wireless (Line 6) unit to the FX8.

Aaaaannnnnd, I almost forgot. You'll need to get a package of screws and nuts for the connectors/patch panel - from Redco I think.

Good luck Bro!
G3

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this site. The FX8 brought me over. I am currently using the Nova System by TC through a Mark V Mesa Boogie. Does anyone know how the connections would work with switching on Mark V and is the new expression pedal used for wah and volume or do I need two separate pedals? I like the fact that you can separate the pre effects and the post effects and run separately thru front & loop of amp.

Thx Tony

It's programmable. You can set it to +4 dBu or -10 dBv.
Thank you! That was my only worry, so now I'll wait patiently for my pseudo-Christmas email saying, in effect (pun intended), "It's your turn to buy one!"

DatWunGai,

Okay here it is;
12 hole pre punched Patch panel
Redco 1U Punched XLR Rack Panels | Redco Audio

Labels
Redco DP LABEL | Redco Audio

¼ TRS Feedthru Connectors
Redco PM-TRS/TRS | Redco Audio

George L’s Cables and Plugs… $1.49/LF
https://stompin-ground.com/products/sgcablegls155.htm

Braided Cable Sleeve
WireCare.com - Your Cable Management SuperStore!

The XLR feedthru connectors are outputs to the FOH board. This is all feedthru connectors and George L’s. So the good part is, there is no soldering involved.

This is NOT an inexpensive cable assembly. I was able to cannibalize all of my George L plugs from my previous rack set-up. 6 x 22ft of the colored George L’s cables cost $200+ alone.

Also, I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this setup will be hum-free. As I’ve read discussions about having a TRS cable in the mix (to the guitar input, I think); but I will be going from a pedalboard mounted wireless (Line 6) unit to the FX8.

Aaaaannnnnd, I almost forgot. You'll need to get a package of screws and nuts for the connectors/patch panel - from Redco I think.

Good luck Bro!
G3

Thank you sir!

I'm prepared for the expense. Since I got my amp I've been so impressed and happy with it that I've decided to build a "spare no expense" (within reason for us non-rich folk) rig that's dead quiet and easy to set up/tear down. And I'm kind of anal about wiring etc. so this will be fun.

Thanks again for the info and links!

Back
Top Bottom