FX8 Preset Problem. Pls Help!

brian cortes

Hello Good Day,

I bought the Fractal Fx8 thru their online website. My main goal was to use the Mark Day Tone Presets. I saw him on YouTube playing Toto’s “I’ll be Over You” Guitar Solo and loved the Tone from the Fx8. I found the Preset but it didn’t sound distorted. No gain. No Creamy Leads. No Delays. No Overdrive Sound.

Just Clean Sound! Am I doing something wrong? Is it my setup?

So I tried the 4CM with regular cables. The tone was still not there, I just got an awful loud HUM sound.

Some presets that have distortion/overdrive tones sound clean only. Why is that? No gain, no drive, just clean sound!

Please help me. I’m very close to returning this equipment and ask for a refund. Please help me get the tone.

Sent from my iPhone

did you set your pre and post settings correct in the Config tab in FX-edit?
I sometimes forget this and then it bypasses all the block and you get a clean sound only
For 4cm you can have do the drives and compressor block pre and the effects like delay, reverb post.

If you mean this video

That says AX8.

You also may be connected wrong. Follow the owners manual for use with a real amp.

I think you really have to go w the Humbuster cables like Fractal recommends especially with some amps, but does sound like the pre/post config is not right. FX8 has learning curve and can be complex at first. I've had mine a week or so and I am really starting to grasp it and I am not using the edit software as my PC is on another floor right now. I discovered a weird problem I was having messing with different delays, I had turned one of the mix knobs wrong and the delay was all direct w no delay, seems obvious but the way it was labeled I did not know for sure what it did. Anyway, goofy things like that can get you but if you give it some time I think you will love what it can do for your sound. This is not just a turn the knobs pedal it is pretty complex.
I am getting the best tones I have ever gotten w a few external pedals I can't do without. I find the unit really acts as preamp like base for your tone, I do not use a std guitar amp config but similar to a 4CM as I use pre pedals and post out to my power amp. Hum can also easily manifest in power supplies and ground loops you may not realize are happening. Even some of the best power bricks can get noise. I use a Furman master power unit to avoid multiple paths to ground. Using different wall sockets is a bad problem many get. Eliminating ground loops and using Humbusters on the outs is a must for me. The plugs on the Fractal are actually TRS as they short out one side and the normal TS side goes to the amp or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom