FX8 mounting to a pedaltrain board

I bought a used Pedaltrain Pro with soft case off of Craig's List a few years ago and was going to install a Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro MIDI controller/Fryette Valvulator power supply/tube buffer/Area 51 wah pedal/Korg DT-10 pedal tuner. I ended up buying a used FX-8 MKII from a touring guitarist of a well known funk/R&B band off of Reverb, took off the rubber feet, left the screws for the rubber feet on, and custom cut some 3M Dual Lock velcro on the bottom of the floor processor, and avoided covering up the rubber feet screws, in case I need to utilize the rubber feet in the future. Since the pedal board came with velcro already installed across the top by its previous owner, it was easy to install the FX-8 MKII & the 2 Roland FV-100 expression controllers (cheap, big, & sturdy old school volume pedals). The original Pedaltrain soft case's handle fell apart (cheap construction) from the weight of the pedalboard. I ended up buying a Mono Pro pedalboard soft case which was kind of expensive, but didn't want the gear on the pedalboard getting damaged or the wiring getting dislodged.

Guitar George

View attachment 56468

I bought a used Pedaltrain Pro with soft case off of Craig's List a few years ago and was going to install a Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro MIDI controller/Fryette Valvulator power supply/tube buffer/Area 51 wah pedal/Korg DT-10 pedal tuner. I ended up buying a used FX-8 MKII from a touring guitarist of a well known funk/R&B band off of Reverb, took off the rubber feet, left the screws for the rubber feet on, and custom cut some 3M Dual Lock velcro on the bottom of the floor processor, and avoided covering up the rubber feet screws, in case I need to utilize the rubber feet in the future. Since the pedal board came with velcro already installed across the top by its previous owner, it was easy to install the FX-8 MKII & the 2 Roland FV-100 expression controllers (cheap, big, & sturdy old school volume pedals). The original Pedaltrain soft case's handle fell apart (cheap construction) from the weight of the pedalboard. I ended up buying a Mono Pro pedalboard soft case which was kind of expensive, but didn't want the gear on the pedalboard getting damaged or the wiring getting dislodged.

Guitar George

Hey man, I'm considering myself getting a valvulator, what pro's and con's have you heard in having the valvulator in front of the FX8. I'm specially interested in if it would warm up the FX8 drives a bit, make them a bit rounder and less harsh maybe?

Hey man, I'm considering myself getting a valvulator, what pro's and con's have you heard in having the valvulator in front of the FX8. I'm specially interested in if it would warm up the FX8 drives a bit, make them a bit rounder and less harsh maybe?

@ Charry: Yes, that's the reason that I use the VHT (Fryette) Valvulator tube buffer/power supply for over 8 years now. It smooths out the overdrive/distortion drives. I learned about it by accident when I was using it with my first floor processor, a Boss GT-3 (great analog overdrive/distortion drives!). It made everything on that processor sound great. Just make sure the 12AX7 preamp tube is good quality and that it's seated properly in its tube socket or you'll lose input signal.

Guitar George

God what a great quote:
"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." — David Gilmour

Back
Top Bottom