FX8 mkII is that good!

Tony Chili

Hi All,
I’m new to the forum and to Fractal products in general.

i just wanted to mention how blown away I am with my FX8 mkII. I took the plunge and ordered a used one on Reverb, which was the only one listed at the time. I just received the unit and hooked it up to my Granger CG50 two channel head in 4CM. I already new it was better than my old rig before I even loaded any blocks. I couldn’t believe how clean and true the tone was. I realized instantly that I have been compromising my tone for the last two years trying out using HX Stomp, Source Audio Collider, and midi controller with loop switcher. I didn’t even have to adjust any I/o levels. It just sounded awesome!

Then I started loading some blocks and was blown away at how easy I built up my preset and scenes. The editor software is super intuitive and logical. And the sound of the effects are as good as I’ve ever heard.

The relay switching is seamless and I did not experience any added noise, hum or pops. This was a problem to solve with every other rig I tried. How did they do that?

I guess this ‘fan boy’ post is intended to spread the word. What an amazing unit. I wish I had known this when it was just released. I am extatique at the performance of this unit and I only just scratched the surface. If you are reading this and unsure if the FX8 mkII is a great unit, even though it’s not made anymore and considered older technology, do not worry. It is a killer unit and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an all in one unit for their tube amp rig. Happy to be preaching the FAS word.

"
What an amazing unit. I wish I had known this when it was just released.
All's well that ends well. Congratulations!





Yes, the FX8 still is a top notch device. The user interface actually is better than that of the AX8, IMHO.
Such a shame the form factor and concept was dropped. A real loss. Not sure what I will move to when mine eventually needs to be replaced.

Hi I also bought a second hand FX8 MkII a few days ago. Some years ago I also had a Axe FXII. Now I love my amp and just want really good effects.
I have a question about the editor. It works well on my Mac. If I double clic on a block it bypass it and it is also shown on the FX8 itself. If I delete a block it clears the block also on the FX8.
However, if I change from i.e. a delay to a chorus the sound is changing but on the FX8 the delay block remains. If I delete a block and then ad new effect the block is still empty on the Fx8. If I move blocks in the editor, nothing happens on the FX8.
I would be very happy if anyone could advise me.
Mike/Sweden

Hi I also bought a second hand FX8 MkII a few days ago. Some years ago I also had a Axe FXII. Now I love my amp and just want really good effects.
I have a question about the editor. It works well on my Mac. If I double clic on a block it bypass it and it is also shown on the FX8 itself. If I delete a block it clears the block also on the FX8.
However, if I change from i.e. a delay to a chorus the sound is changing but on the FX8 the delay block remains. If I delete a block and then ad new effect the block is still empty on the Fx8. If I move blocks in the editor, nothing happens on the FX8.
I would be very happy if anyone could advise me.
Mike/Sweden

You should post this question as its own thread.

Mikael
I think I know what is going on. The blocks shown on the FX8 screen correspond to the switch assignments, not the block chain. So if you swap effects, you have to assign the new effect to a switch. Then it will show up on the FX8 screen. The same thing was happening to me.
I may be wrong but I think that is the problem.

Don’t know if this is the right forum ,just got a fx8 and trying to send midi changes to a midi preamp can’t do,HELP,PLEASE!

Don’t know if this is the right forum ,just got a fx8 and trying to send midi changes to a midi preamp can’t do,HELP,PLEASE!
It depends on how you wish to send the midi message. I just learned how to do it with the scenes. It’s a really cool way to do it. You need to go to the configuration tab and click the midi PC or midi CC. Tell it on which midi channel your preamp is assigned then the appropriate corresponding midi info. Once this is done, a midi message can be automatically sent when a scene is selected. Very cool feature. I believe you can assign a midi message to a Footswitch but I don’t use this feature so someone else may have to chime in here.

I just finished my FX8 based pedal board. Attaching a photo in case anyone is interested. It came out great. The signal flow is: Gigrig 3two1 -> CBA Automatone Preamp mkII-> Dunlop Mister Crybaby Volume /Wah -> Fractal FX8. Sounds wonderful and the FC8 takes external drive pedals like a champ! The Boss expression pedal controls various functions on the FX8 depending on the preset.

Attachments

• 16B75229-B491-4899-8325-25351A4AD462.jpeg
    16B75229-B491-4899-8325-25351A4AD462.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom