FX8 is in da' house :)

tjontheroad

Inspired
A funny thing happened while exploring all the amp models on my AX8 and Yek's magnificent amp guide. I found myself feeling and wanting more first hand experience with the real tube thang. I've owned and played through a few nice amps over the years (various Fenders, JCM800, Bad Cat) but I sold most of them in favor of digital. So, now I find myself going full circle. I found for great deals both a Mesa TA-30 combo and FX8 MkII used. Over the last couple days, I've worn my fingers out. They're a match made in heaven me thinks. This is gonna be fun!

I've have not tried the relays yet. Can anyone confirm the TA-30 amp switching is Short-to-Sleeve? I've read here and elsewhere it is but just thought I'd ask myself. I realize I should email Mesa but not sure I'll get an answer. Is there a way to test this myself? I also have a Bad Cat Cougar combo I'd like to try too. Anyone using that amp?

Thanks,
TJ

Really? It's only been out for a minute and a half, and you found one used? Hell I've had mine all of two weeks now and haven't even scraped the surface. o_O

Yes, found here in the for sale section. It was posted only for a few hours before I snagged it. It was a very good deal.

Update from my earlier post... I can confirm the MESA TA-30 works with the relays. Yeah :)

A question please regarding using the relays by toggling a footswitch as opposed to scenes. The TA-30 has a two button footswitch that selects both the amp channel and on/off state of the FX loop + on-board reverb. Via testing, I figured out shorted "off" selects channel 1 FX loop/reverb off, shorted "tip" selects channel 2 FX loop/reverb off, shorted "ring" selects channel 1 FX loop/reverb on, and shorted "both" selects channel 2 FX loop/reverb on. This means I would always want to only use the relays selected "ring" and "both" when running 4CM.

This I know can be easily selected within a scene and it works very well. I haven't yet figured out how set up a footswitch block where it toggles only from "ring" to "both". The footswitch seems to default to shorted "off" when not lit up. Can this be changed so it defaults to "ring" and then "both" with one tap? If not, I guess maybe I can rewire the TRS cable for reverse operation.

Thanks

This I know can be easily selected within a scene and it works very well. I haven't yet figured out how set up a footswitch block where it toggles only from "ring" to "both". The footswitch seems to default to shorted "off" when not lit up. Can this be changed so it defaults to "ring" and then "both" with one tap? If not, I guess maybe I can rewire the TRS cable for reverse operation.

Thanks

this would also interesting for me to know regarding "tip" and "ring" At the moment I use a "Scene 1/2 footswitch" to use the relays and Channel switching on my Amp. Maybe if this is not possible at the moment to keep it in mind for a firmware update in the future.

this would also interesting for me to know regarding "tip" and "ring" At the moment I use a "Scene 1/2 footswitch" to use the relays and Channel switching on my Amp. Maybe if this is not possible at the moment to keep it in mind for a firmware update in the future.

Last night, I learned to use the X/Y states with the footswitch block to select/toggle the "ring" and "both" selections. That works just fine but it requires you to hold down the footswitch for a moment before activating the X/Y. When the footswitch is off, it still is set to "tip". Short to "tip" on the TA-30 turns off the FX loop.

Ideally, you should be able to select the relay behavior at any setting. That's my wish please :)

You should use scenes. Scenes allow you to set relays in either tip, sleeve, or both configs. It allows you to avoid using a block for that functionality.

I have a Mesa Mark IV and I can use 4 functions of the amp in any combination i want. Also works great for my dual rec. Scenes are key :)

You should use scenes. Scenes allow you to set relays in either tip, sleeve, or both configs. It allows you to avoid using a block for that functionality.

I have a Mesa Mark IV and I can use 4 functions of the amp in any combination i want. Also works great for my dual rec. Scenes are key :)

Scenes are great for song oriented presets but less so for jamming. That said, I do use them most times.

I have also found that to be true. Even for after market parts, I got assistance late on a Friday night from an employee and he located me parts not even on the website in under an hour at a really fair price. I didn't expect to hear anything until Monday, and it was already packed before the weekend.

Scenes are great for song oriented presets but less so for jamming. That said, I do use them most times.

True, but some scenes are good for jamming. I often have a 'jam' song preset.. clean, dirty, etc.. plus some standard stomps to fill in the blanks.. However I always 100% use scenes to switch amp channels, due to the avoidance of a using a block, and other benefits such as triggering of fx.

Back
Top Bottom