FX8 into Combo amp?

I get a sound check, however, I'm pressed for time during the sound check. I can't spend 10 minutes or so fiddling with the amp so obtain the tone I want. I just need to plug in, spend a minute or 2 adjusting the levels on the amp, and then rehearse the song.

I only have 3 minutes on stage. I'm going to be playing lead guitar the whole time, so no need to switch channels. Technically I can bring the EVH, but didn't plan on lugging the 100lb head around. You think it's worth it? Obviously to get my signature sound, right? If I do bring the EVH head, all I need to do is plug it to the "power amp in" jack and NOT the "input" jack of the hot rod, correct? This way it bypasses the amp section of the hot rod, and only utilizes the speaker, correct?
no. you can't plug the amp head into the combo amp like that. that's not how it works - you'll fry the Hot Rod amp doing that.

maybe it isn't worth bringing your amp. but you are using an amp you have no experience with, so that's the main issue.

I get a sound check, however, I'm pressed for time during the sound check. I can't spend 10 minutes or so fiddling with the amp so obtain the tone I want. I just need to plug in, spend a minute or 2 adjusting the levels on the amp, and then rehearse the song.
imagine going to a gig and someone else's gear is there, but you have to plug it in and configure everything - that's basically the situation you're in.

the FX8 can definitely help you in this situation, but the amp is just different. i would suggest doing what you can with the "pre-only" setup and your EVH on the clean channel. try to get a good tone there. chances are it will sound very similar on the Hot Rod amp, but unfortunately probably not at all the same as your "EVH Channel 2 sound" since it's a completely different amp.

good luck!

Thanks Chris! Appreciate all the help from you guys. I'm going to work on dialing in a lead tone on the clean channel of my amp and just bring my guitar and FX-8 to the gig.

I don't have the Hot Rod amp here. I'll use it when I get to the venue, so I can't really play around with it to come up with a nice tone. I would bring my EVH, however, I'm only going to be playing for 3 minutes. It's amateur night competition. Any suggestions? I'm thinking I might as well bring my Line-6 Pod X3, but I looooove the tone I'm getting from the FX-8, however i'm sure it's coming from the EVH.

Even for 3 minutes, if your EVH amp means that you're going to sound right, be less frustrated from equipment and generally have more fun... bring the amp.

I can bring the amp, but that means I'd have to bring my 4x12 cabinet as well, and that's a LOT to lug around for a 3 minute gig. What do you think?

Thanks Chris! Appreciate all the help from you guys. I'm going to work on dialing in a lead tone on the clean channel of my amp and just bring my guitar and FX-8 to the gig.
to be honest, this is probably your best bet. just know that you won't sound the same as your EVH, probably not even close. i'd suggest working with the Ruckus drive pedal, as it is already "amp like" and has a good amount of gain for smooth tones.

remember that people aren't going to judge you based on gear they've never heard you on. they won't think 'wow he's better on his EVH amp' or something. they don't know about it! just sound "good" for the song and those 3 minutes, and remember to PLAY and perform. that's way more important than specific tone a lot of times.

If I do bring the EVH head, all I need to do is plug it to the "power amp in" jack and NOT the "input" jack of the hot rod, correct? This way it bypasses the amp section of the hot rod, and only utilizes the speaker, correct?
No. The "power amp in jack" is just what its name implies: the input to the amp's power amp. If you plug your EVH into that, the result will be smoke and sparks, and will probably kill at least one amp.

The Hot Rod has "preamp out" and "power amp in" jacks, right? Why not run it 4CM?

Didn't know that was possible. Besides, the stage tech guy is going to set up my equipment prior to the performance. I don't want to confuse the guy with "this cable goes here, and that cable goes there." I honestly think he'll probably fuck it up, so I'll keep it simple for him with 1 cable going into the amp. I need the processor/receiver(for wireless) and amp turned on prior to walking on stage since I'll be playing a chord immediately upon walking on.

So I used the "ruckus" drive tone, and WOW it sounds amazing! After carefully dialing in all my blocks 8/0 all pre on the clean channel with very little if any gain on the amp's clean channel, I crafted an amazing lead tone! I kept switching the placement of the blocks until I found the perfect tone.

Here's the configuration:

Comp > Drive > MultiDelay > Delay > Reverb > Enhance

The result actually sounds even BETTER than my original 4CM configuration!

Besides, the stage tech guy is going to set up my equipment prior to the performance. I don't want to confuse the guy with "this cable goes here, and that cable goes there."
Say no more. I understand.

So I used the "ruckus" drive tone, and WOW it sounds amazing! After carefully dialing in all my blocks 8/0 all pre on the clean channel with very little if any gain on the amp's clean channel, I crafted an amazing lead tone! I kept switching the placement of the blocks until I found the perfect tone.

Here's the configuration:

Comp > Drive > MultiDelay > Delay > Reverb > Enhance

The result actually sounds even BETTER than my original 4CM configuration!
That's as good as it gets. Knock 'em dead tonight!

Yay! You can probably use the hot rod’s EQ knobs to adjust the tone once you’re there.

I can bring the amp, but that means I'd have to bring my 4x12 cabinet as well, and that's a LOT to lug around for a 3 minute gig. What do you think?

I'd bring my rig, unless I had already had lots of experience with the backline provided.

This scenario using supplied backline is a huge argument against 4CM. I've found most loops to be finicky at best, especially with respect to levels and overloading. They are all massively different.

I know this doesn't help OP, but it makes me feel better about my decision to simply go guitar > FX8 > clean amp. I could use either of the supplied backline amps and do just fine. Not optimal but surely acceptable.

I offer this not so much as self-congratulation but as food for thought for those who believe 4CM is absolutely necessary. See my sig line for amps that work very well guitar > FX8 > amp. There are many many many others.

I only have 3 minutes on stage. I'm going to be playing lead guitar the whole time, so no need to switch channels. Technically I can bring the EVH, but didn't plan on lugging the 100lb head around. You think it's worth it? Obviously to get my signature sound, right? If I do bring the EVH head, all I need to do is plug it to the "power amp in" jack and NOT the "input" jack of the hot rod, correct? This way it bypasses the amp section of the hot rod, and only utilizes the speaker, correct?

I would run the EVH amp speaker output with a speaker cable and a 1/4" female to 1/4" female adapter connected together, disconnect the Hot Rod Deluxe speaker cable from the combo amp, connect to the 1/4" female to 1/4" female adapter to the Hot Rod Deluxe speaker cable. You're connected directly to the Hot Rod Deluxe's speaker in the combo cab and dial your tone in from your amp head. Your signal path would be: Guitar> FX-8 input> EVH amp input> EVH send>FX-8 In 2 (post) > FX-8 Out 2 (post)> EVH amp return/power amp in. Use EVH amp head as the amp connected to Hot Rod Deluxe combo speaker cab only.

Or you can run the EVH amp as a preamp by connecting the EVH amp send into the Hot Rod Deluxe amp return/power amp in and use the Hot Rod Deluxe as a power amp/speaker cab. You're able to get your tone and not overwhelm people with your volume. Your signal path would be: Guitar> FX-8 input> EVH amp input> EVH send>FX-8 In 2 (post) > FX-8 Out 2 (post)> Hot Rod Deluxe amp return/power amp in. Use Hot Rod Deluxe as power amp & combo speaker cab.

Or you can run the EVH amp as a preamp by connecting the EVH amp send into the Hot Rod Deluxe amp return/power amp in and use the Hot Rod Deluxe as a power amp/speaker cab. You're able to get your tone and not overwhelm people with your volume. Your signal path would be: Guitar> FX-8 input> EVH amp input> EVH send>FX-8 In 2 (post) > FX-8 Out 2 (post)> Hot Rod Deluxe amp return/power amp in. Use Hot Rod Deluxe as power amp & combo speaker cab.
don't you need a load on the EVH head?

don't you need a load on the EVH head?

You're not using the power amp section of the EVH amp, just the preamp section of the EVH amp. I've done this before with my Krank Nineteen80 Jr. amp head. You're basically bypassing the Hot Rod Deluxe preamp section and you're using the Hot Rod Deluxe as a power amp & combo speaker cab.

You're not using the power amp section of the EVH amp, just the preamp section of the EVH amp. I've done this before with my Krank Nineteen80 Jr. amp head. You're basically bypassing the Hot Rod Deluxe preamp section and you're using the Hot Rod Deluxe as a power amp & combo speaker cab.
but by turning on the amp, doesn't it need a load? regardless of what you're using, i thought guitar amps always need a load on the speaker outputs?

but by turning on the amp, doesn't it need a load? regardless of what you're using, i thought guitar amps always need a load on the speaker outputs?
Yes, a tube power amp should have a load connected whenever it's powered on. If you're not sending it any signal, you might be okay...but a power or other transient could generate voltages that the amp can't handle without damage.

Back
Top Bottom