FX8 into AX8

ssmorga78

Experienced
Ok, I need someone to talk me through the setup IF I wanted to buy a FX8 and run it into my AX8. I want to be able to do Preset changes and Scene changes from the FX8. Is that possible? And if so, what would the setup look like? Can anyone who has done this tell me how?? @Admin M@ @joe rogers

The easier 4CM option would be the FX8 in the AX8 loop. That way you still have XLR outs for FOH.

The more flexible 4CM option is AX8 in the FX8 loop (IIRC, this is the "killer app" mentioned by Matt). You can use FX8 for pre and post effects, but also have pre and post effects in the AX8. If you need XLR to FOH, you'd use a DI after the FX8 outs.

For control, the FX8 is way more flexible. The FX8 sends out a MIDI PC on each preset change on its own channel, corresponding to the preset #. You can also send one MIDI PC per FX8 scene. You also have the 2 MIDI blocks per preset. You can send up to 4 PCs per block and 2 different values per 2 different CCs per block.

In answer to your question, yes you can change presets on the AX8 from the FX8 (just send a PC). You can also change scenes (just send a value of 0-7 to CC #34).

If it were me, I'd only use the AX8 for Amp, Cab, and global effects. Since I don't do a lot of amp switching, I'd only use a few presets on the AX8. Some things like shimmer (MultiDelay into fully wet Reverb) I would do on AX8 because of the flexibility of the grid. Plus, it would make that effect "global" as in it could persist through FX8 preset changes. I wouldn't do beat-divided effects on the AX8 because there's no MIDI clock sync master in this setup. Delays could work if you had an AX8 preset for every FX8 preset, and saved the tempo in both. Gross.

I'd use the FX8 for the per-song meat and potatoes like drives, delays, and reverbs.

Think of it as the AX8 as amp+cab and rack effects, and the FX8 as a pedalboard doing the heavy lifting.

Hmm. I'm tempted to grab an FX8. Doh!

Yeah, I was looking for something simple that I had planned out in my head. My idea was to use the FX8 in front of the AX8. Just plug my guitar into the FX8, then output of the FX8 into the input of the AX8. Connect the FX8 Midi Out to the AX8 Midi In to send commands. I just wanted to use the FX8 as Pre Amp FX such as Drives, Comps, Filter/PEQ Boosts, Flanger, Phaser, Chorus, etc... then use the AX8 as Amp, Cab, Delays, Reverbs. Is that possible?

Yes that's possible. I think you'd need to be changing presets often on both units in that setup, so you might want to do a one-to-one preset setup (AX8 preset 1 = FX8 preset 1). That essentially treats the two units as one giant unit.

Maybe set up preset footswitches on the AX8, and IA/scene footswitches on the FX8.

Yes that's possible. I think you'd need to be changing presets often on both units in that setup, so you might want to do a one-to-one preset setup (AX8 preset 1 = FX8 preset 1). That essentially treats the two units as one giant unit.

Maybe set up preset footswitches on the AX8, and IA/scene footswitches on the FX8.

Yeah, that is what I was wanting to do......but not have to change presets on both units physically. I just want to change to Preset 1, per say, on unit 1(FX8) and have it send a command to change unit 2(AX8) to Preset 1 as well.

Yeah, that is what I was wanting to do......but not have to change presets on both units physically. I just want to change to Preset 1, per say, on unit 1(FX8) and have it send a command to change unit 2(AX8) to Preset 1 as well.

Doable. Just set them both to the same MIDI channel in setup and FX8 will send out the appropriate MIDI PC on each preset change without any extra configuration.

Back
Top Bottom