FX8 in parallel FX loop

philipacamaniac

Fractal Fanatic
How well will the FX8 work in a parallel FX loop that can't be set to serial without a mod (older Mesa for example)? I plan on setting the FX mix level somewhere between 30-50%, hopefully finding a good set-and-forget level since I won't often have easy access to the back of the amp.

I get that I'd want to set the mix level of every post effect to 100% and use the level knobs to taste, but how well will stacking verbs, delays and shimmers work, given that there's no fancy grid (only the serial/parallel choice for each block)?

I'm not a FAS product user yet, hoping to dive into the FX8 when it drops.

Okay let's make this easier since the few that know gritty details about the FX8 are probably under NDA.

How well does other Fractal gear work in a parallel loop? All FX in the amp's parallel loop would be time based and 100% wet, and likely in parallel with each other. Assume that no dry would be coming from the unit (I'm not sure how to do that but let's assume it), so I don't anticipate phase issues. I'm also dismissing ground loop and noise floor issues (since the FX8 was specifically designed to work with tube amps). Does anyone have experience using Fractal gear in parallel fx loops, and if so, how well did it work?

I read page 33 on the manual and still not sure how to make it work in a parallel loop with more than 1 effect block.
I want to put the FX8 in the loop only. When I put an effect in parallel, I'm still getting the dry signal.
When I set it on 100% wet and the bypass mode on mute in, there's no dry, but if I do that for multiple blocks, only the first block works (due to the mute in)

Would really appreciate if someone can guide me on this

I read page 33 on the manual and still not sure how to make it work in a parallel loop with more than 1 effect block.
I want to put the FX8 in the loop only. When I put an effect in parallel, I'm still getting the dry signal.
When I set it on 100% wet and the bypass mode on mute in, there's no dry, but if I do that for multiple blocks, only the first block works (due to the mute in)

Would really appreciate if someone can guide me on this
If I'm reading your post correctly, your amp has a parallel loop, and that's where you're putting your FX8. If your amp has a parallel loop, that means there's always dry signal being routed to your amp's output. It's your amp that's doing it. That's what parallel loops do.

If you have all blocks in parallel, there is no "first block". They are all in parallel with each other, each getting a copy of the dry signal (visually represented by a vertical stack of blocks). They all need to be set to 100% mix and a bypass mode of Mute, Mute In, or Mute Out.

Thanks guys.
So, should I simply put all the effects on loop in parallel to make it work ? according to the manual, when you put a block in parallel, it automatically changes to 100% mix and mute in bypass mode

If you group blocks in parallel within the FX8, then the "top" block of the group is considered to be in series. When changing an effect from series to parallel, the unit will automatically adjust the output level and mix of the block being changed. The top block will auto adjust to a mix of 25%, however, you can edit this to suit your needs. If you are running the FX8 in a parallel loop, then I would suggest changing the mix to 100%

The answer to this question is that it really depends on specifically what you want to do/hear. What effects do you want? How do you want them routed?

Sorry it took me a while, thanks for your responses.
I was able to kind of make it work.
I had to put the first post effect on 100% mix and mute in manually since you can't set it in parallel/serial.
Now, it works for delay and reverb, but I was unable to get rid of the dry signal for Megatap delay for example, is that normal ?

Also, to my understanding, modulation effects will not work in this way since they always add the dry to some extent?

Back
Top Bottom