FX8 Edit will not run after 1.1 upgrade [SOLVED]

Just upgraded FX8 Edit to 1.1 and FX8 Firmware to 3.00. The firmware upgrade went fine, but FX8 Edit won't run. It will not open at all - when I click on the icon, the Windows "thinking" wheel churns, but the program does not open and nothing else happens.

I'm running Windows 10. The FX8 is turned on and connected via USB with proven USB cables (I've tried a couple different cables). I've also tried reinstalling FX8 Edit several times.

Any ideas?

I'm presuming you've used a previous version of FX8 Edit successfully in Windows 10. Have you uninstalled all previous versions of FX8 Edit using 'Add/Remove Programs' in Windows 10 control panel?

I'm presuming you've used a previous version of FX8 Edit successfully in Windows 10. Have you uninstalled all previous versions of FX8 Edit using 'Add/Remove Programs' in Windows 10 control panel?

Correct on both...I was using the previous version successfully on Win10 and I uninstalled first. Now that you mention it, this is the first time I've done a clean install of FX8 Edit on Win10. The previous version of FX8 Edit was installed on Win7, and when I upgraded to Win10, it continued to work fine. But a new install on Win10 seems to be problematic. Is it simply not compatible with Windows 10?

Correct on both...I was using the previous version successfully on Win10 and I uninstalled first. Now that you mention it, this is the first time I've done a clean install of FX8 Edit on Win10. The previous version of FX8 Edit was installed on Win7, and when I upgraded to Win10, it continued to work fine. But a new install on Win10 seems to be problematic. Is it simply not compatible with Windows 10?

Since it ran after upgrading to Windows 10, it's possible it was running in a 'compatability' mode for Windows 7. You could try running it in compatability mode and see if that works. You'll need to find the properties menu for FX8 Edit. Not sure where it is in Windows 10 but in Windows 8 you'd right click the icon on the desktop, left click 'Properties' then select the 'compatibility' tab. Check the box 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' and select Windows 7 (or 8, whichever will work) from the drop down menu. Hopefully this works.

Since it ran after upgrading to Windows 10, it's possible it was running in a 'compatability' mode for Windows 7. You could try running it in compatability mode and see if that works. You'll need to find the properties menu for FX8 Edit. Not sure where it is in Windows 10 but in Windows 8 you'd right click the icon on the desktop, left click 'Properties' then select the 'compatibility' tab. Check the box 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' and select Windows 7 (or 8, whichever will work) from the drop down menu. Hopefully this works.

Good thought on compatibility mode...unfortunately no luck running in compatibility mode for either Win7 or 8.

Here's another weird thing: Axe-Edit (for my Axe-FX II) works fine, and I've upgraded it to the latest version. I wonder why Axe-Edit would work fine, but FX8-Edit won't even run?

Good thought on compatibility mode...unfortunately no luck running in compatibility mode for either Win7 or 8.

Here's another weird thing: Axe-Edit (for my Axe-FX II) works fine, and I've upgraded it to the latest version. I wonder why Axe-Edit would work fine, but FX8-Edit won't even run?
That is weird. Have you tried installing and running the previous version of FX8 Edit? I realize you can't use it with FW 3.0 but it would only be for troubleshooting purposes. The only other thing I can think of, if you haven't tried already, would be to start from scratch including a fresh download of FX8 Edit 1.1. If that doesn't work it may be a compatibility issue with Windows 10 and something Fractal support should know about. Sorry you're having trouble, hope you get it figured out.

This is resolved now. The issue was that my Avast antivirus was preventing FX8 Edit from "phoning home" for updates, which it does at startup. Disabling Avast fixes the issue. Now I have to fiddle with Avast settings to allow FX8 through the web shield, but at least I'm operational now. Thanks to Fractal support for a quick turnaround.

Back
Top Bottom