FX8 Drive Configuration

Exocet

New FX8 Mk 2 user here.

I have a question about configuring drive block parameters.

Am I right in saying that all of the "preset" drive blocks e.g. TS808, BB Pre, Zen Master are simply manipulating the same drive parameters / equalisation?

If my thinking is correct, I could simply edit the TS808 to become a Zen Master simply by duplicating the parameters that are used?

Looking at the Zen Master - to me it sounds and feels close to the real thing but when I look at how it has been achieved in the FX 8, I see that the clipping type is set to "Silicon Diode" whereas I know that in reality, a Zen Drive uses MOSFETs for clipping.

This got me thinking as to whether there are other hidden parameters / modelling characteristics that are hidden from the end user?

However I think there must be some hidden parameters because I believe some of the drives use more CPU than others.

New FX8 Mk 2 user here.

I have a question about configuring drive block parameters.

Am I right in saying that all of the "preset" drive blocks e.g. TS808, BB Pre, Zen Master are simply manipulating the same drive parameters / equalisation?

If my thinking is correct, I could simply edit the TS808 to become a Zen Master simply by duplicating the parameters that are used?

Looking at the Zen Master - to me it sounds and feels close to the real thing but when I look at how it has been achieved in the FX 8, I see that the clipping type is set to "Silicon Diode" whereas I know that in reality, a Zen Drive uses MOSFETs for clipping.

This got me thinking as to whether there are other hidden parameters / modelling characteristics that are hidden from the end user?
No, there some very significant differences. There are probably quite a few hidden parameters that set them apart. Typing on my phone or I would elaborate a bit more, but they all have differences, although some have some range of overlap. The fuzzes are vastly different than the drives and distortions, and there is nothing else that comes close to the octave fuzz sound, no matter what parameters are adjusted.

Back
Top Bottom