FX8 delay settings for "bigger" "fuller" guitar sound live

renkairae

Although I've owned an FX8 for a couple of years, I am having difficulty findings a delay setting that will make my guitar "fatter" and "fuller". So far, I am still hearing to much of a slap. Any advice?

Last edited:
what's an audio example of what you're going for?
The sound I'm going for is difficult for me to explain. I have a Fender Mustang practice amp that has a reverb/delay setting that makes my guitar sound fatter and more present. I am the only guitar player in a 4 piece classic rock band and I am looking to fill the sound without it being lost or saturated.Thanks for your interest in helping me.

Classic trick are two delays, one with a shorter delay around 70-90ms and another longer one with 300+ ms, do dial to your taste. First delay fattens the sound, the second one spreads it out.
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try it.

Although I've owned an FX8 for a couple of years, I am having difficulty findings a delay setting that will make my guitar "fatter" and "fuller". So far, I am still hearing to much of a slap. Any advice?

It's all about the mix, high pass and low pass IMO.

Try this to see if it's the right direction:
  • analog delay
  • your choice of feedback length
  • 38% mix
  • 50% level

EQ:
High pass: 5k
low pass: 100hZ (lowest is 20 IIRC)

I've personally had good success with the time @ 30ms, feedback @ -10 to -15% (minus feedback seems to be key) and 40% mix. Also darken the tone of the Delay by rolling the high cut off to @ 2000Hz, this seems to help thicken the tone.

A Pitch Detune, can also help make the tone sound "bigger". Detune @ -3.0ct, Delay @ 20ms, Mix @ 40%.

Back
Top Bottom