FX8 and Splawn Amps

catscanman82

Inspired
I have a Splawn Super Sport 22 watt Head and 1x12 cab. I was wondering if anyone is using an FX8 with this or any other Splawn amp combination and how is working out. Thanks in advance.

I'm using the FX8 with a Splawn Competition and love it. My Splawn is an older model, pre loop volume, and I have had no issues with it and the FX8. I am using humbuster type cables as I experienced a bit of noise with regular instrument cables. I use low to moderate amounts of reverb and delay and couldn't be happier. I've also found the compressors to be the most useful of any I've tried and there's a couple drives that I like with the Splawn.

Thanks for your reply. I have a new one with the loop volume which works really well. Is anyone using the FX8 with a Splawn that has a loop volume.

I borrowed a buddies Splawn Nitro head and used the relays with my FX8. Worked great for channels and boosts. I confirmed it is short to sleeve switching

Using fx8 with a splawn. Switching in scène mode is instantaneous. I own a 2005 model w/o the loop volume. In fx8's i/o config page you can adjust the (master) post out volume (or EQ) to "tame" the splawn. You can also adjust and store pre/post levels in every scene.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 13
I LOVE my Splawn Super Sport 22 combo. It is my only "real amp". I have been considering an FX8 for it for a while. Right now I am using an H9 with it and I struggle with the H9 lack of interface.

Hard to see but looks like you have a Quick Rod. By "switching" do you mean you are using the relays to switch channels/gear/solo on the amp?
Yep, using the relays om to switch, you can store the settings per scene or assign a footswitch on fx8 (relay block)
Splawn is a promod btw

Yep, using the relays om to switch, you can store the settings per scene or assign a footswitch on fx8 (relay block)
Splawn is a promod btw

Cool, thanks. I was using my former FX8 to switch a JVM via MIDI. Combination of MIDI lag and noise from the FX8 (Mark I, and yes I was using Humbuster cables, and yes the noise was from the FX8 because regular pedals or other MFX units didn't have that noise) lead me to sell it.

But now that I'm using Splawns where relay switching is an option, and now that the FX8 Mark II has lower noise, I'm on the waiting list for another FX8. Real pedals are working nicely, but I really liked the idea of the FX8 when I first had it.

Cool, thanks. I was using my former FX8 to switch a JVM via MIDI. Combination of MIDI lag and noise from the FX8 (Mark I, and yes I was using Humbuster cables, and yes the noise was from the FX8 because regular pedals or other MFX units didn't have that noise) lead me to sell it.

But now that I'm using Splawns where relay switching is an option, and now that the FX8 Mark II has lower noise, I'm on the waiting list for another FX8. Real pedals are working nicely, but I really liked the idea of the FX8 when I first had it.

JVM indeed has ground-loop issues with 4cm, humbuster cables won't do any good (exept reduce the level of hum and affecting your sound in a bad way by doing this).
I used to have a JVM and in 4cm ground lifted cables solved the issue!
The new model fx8 does (as far as i know) not solve ground loop noise any better as the old one.

Fx8 still has lag when switching to a new preset, but with clever programming you can play most songs using scenes in a single preset.

The MIDI switching lag I spoke of was from scene to scene. But I'm going to use relays. And it wasn't ground loop noise I was hearing.

Back
Top Bottom