FX8 and OD Amp Channels

Stevel0213

This has been an extremely exciting venture and the forum has been awesome in providing ideas, feedback and uploads. This is a rather simple question to which I know the generic response will be, "You need to try all configs and find your sweet spot". Yep got it, and been there/done that.

BUT I digress...I'm interested in how the masses use your rigs.

As a general rule, if I'm going to rely on the FX8 for OD and distortion, be it X/Y and or multiple DRV blocks within a preset, should I play mostly in my clean channel? Recent gig attempts seem to support that, as I get a lot of mud and mid range when Od-ing OD channel, but I can spend a lot of time tweaking the amp if need be. Also pickup selection goes a long ways towards using both.

I use an Orange TH30C (awesome amp) and play mostly either my cherished Ed Roman Quicksilver (Seymour Duncan SH4 zebras) or newly acquired Collings LP Jr. with the amazing P90 lollars.

Thanks in advance to all the replies (past, present and future). This is an amazingly useful forum.

I use the FX8's drives with amps set to an edge of breakup tone to mid-gain on my Orange OR-15 and Splawn Competition. I get my clean tones by rolling off the volume on my guitars. I've discovered that using OD's with a driven amp requires less gain than with a clean amp. I don't believe I have any drives with the gain above 3-4. I found rolling off the guitar's volume a bit with the OD engaged helps add some clarity as well.

As far as Drive block settings in the FX8, I usually end up with the tone between 3.0 and 4.5. Also watch the Low Cut. Having it lower than 250 Hz can have a tendency to add the muddiness. To give it fullness, I'll set the Mid Freq between 350 and 450 Hz and set the Mid Level to @ 3 dB.

Awesome....thanks for the advice. I'll play around with it. I've already tweaked a bit since last post and been able to clean it up considerably but haven't had the chance to test it through the rig at gig volume yet. I do like using the OD channel and have kept the gain pretty low (9:00-ish) just to give it a little edge. I'll tweak the Drive settings a bit more.
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom