FX8 and MIDI CC channel switching

tnjazz

OK, so I've read and re-read the manual, and spent a good bit of time trying to figure this out but I can't for the life of me get it to work and I wonder if I'm just not understanding something.

So I have an amp that switches channels via MIDI CC messages. I want to set up the Fractal to switch it using scenes, not using the MIDI block. The manual states it sends one PC and one CC message per scene. However, in the scenes section of the manual it mentions only PC messages are sent.

I want to set up 8 scenes, each with a separate amp channel assignment. How does it work?

Does the FX8mk2 send CC messages if you set it up per scene in the MIDI CC screen in the Config (FX8-Edit) ?

What is the difference between the CC# and the CC Val?

If I send a CC, do I have to also send a PC message per scene or can I "turn those off" ?

I searched the forum and didn't find any clear answers, so forgive me if this has been explained somewhere. All my other amps switch via PC messages, and that was no problem at all to get set up. This one is the supreme oddball of the lot though (Randall RM1250).

Thanks in advance for anyone who may be able to help.

Yes. Using the MIDI CC section.

I want to switch channels per scene but I must not have something right. There is very limited info out there about the amp, but even the info listed in the manual doesn’t work the way you would expect.

I would expect Scene 1 to trigger the same amp channel any time I step on it, but it doesn’t.

I guess where I'm stuck is how to set up the config tab with the MIDI CC entries. All MIDI is received on channel 1 at the amp. I don't know if I should be setting up the CC Val field for anything in particular or not? I've got the CC# set correctly according to the channel listing, and the MIDI channel is set to 1 for all scenes. Basically I just want to set up 3 presets of 8 scenes each, to cover all 24 available channels on the amp. Strangely enough, if I turn PC messages off I get no response. If I set it on to PC 0, 1 and 2 respectively though, I can access the 3 "banks" of 8 on the amp. Using the Fractal I can cycle through them then, but it doesn't matter what switch I step on. It just goes to the next channel in the list (most of the time). So programming scene 1 to module 1 channel A does not return me back to that channel if I change scenes and then try to go back.

So this is the MIDI CC mapping for the amp.

- module 1 channel A : CC# 5
- module 1 channel B : CC# 1

- module 2 channel A : CC# 6
- module 2 channel B : CC# 2

- module 3 channel A : CC# 7
- module 3 channel B : CC# 3

- module 4 channel A : CC# 8
- module 4 channel B : CC# 4

- module 5 channel A : CC# 13
- module 5 channel B : CC# 9

- module 6 channel A : CC# 14
- module 6 channel B : CC# 10

- module 7 channel A : CC# 15
- module 7 channel B : CC# 11

- module 8 channel A : CC# 16
- module 8 channel B : CC# 12

- module 9 channel A : CC# 21
- module 9 channel B : CC# 17

- module 10 channel A : CC# 22
- module 10 channel B : CC# 18

- module 11 channel A : CC# 23
- module 11 channel B : CC# 19

- module 12 channel A : CC# 24
- module 12 channel B : CC# 20

I'm not very MIDI knowledgeable so if anyone can help me get this working 1:1 it would be amazing. I'm starting to think the Fractal does not send CC messages correctly though.

What amp are using?
Reason I ask, find it a bit easier using preset changes

Example : I have done this before for a few people (both had FX8's) one using a Mesa JP-2C
and the other using a Dual Rec using a Voodoo Labs to do the switching.

Here's a screen shot of one of the three presets, which should accommodate the first 8 channels. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 12.02.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 12.02.20 PM.png
    393.6 KB · Views: 26
OK, so I'm inching closer to getting this set up the way I want. I can do what I need in a somewhat complicated sort of way by using the two MIDI blocks and X/Y, but I can't explain why it works because it appears to be using program changes, which do NOT work in the config tab for scenes? Unless maybe I'm missing some settings somewhere. In addition I currently have Prog Change turned OFF on the FX8, which makes all this even more confusing.

I've attached my preset if anyone is inclined to perhaps help me figure out how to transfer the 2 MIDI block settings to 8 independent scenes within a preset?

Attachments

• RM1250 1-4 MIDI block XY.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 9
bump. I have the same issue, I would like to change channels on a scene by scene basis but can't get it to work. Anyone ? My amp is a Synergy Syn-30.

Back
Top Bottom