FX8 and EVH 50 Watt Head MIDI Channel Switching

Alainarose

Inspired
I have a FX8 and recently picked up a EVH 50 Watt EL34 head. I understand that the head doesn't accept the relay switching from the FX8 and the only way to use the FX8 to change the EVH channels is via MIDI. I have searched the web and I see how you set the PC scenes and registers to change the channels but for some reason I cannot get this to function. I see there is on the web an actual EVH document showing how to clear the current EVH MIDI programs and to program the MIDI from the head as well. I haven't done MIDI since I owned a ADA MP1. Do you have to do both sides programming? EVH side and FX8 side? Seems so easy on the video on line where 0 is channel 1, 1 is channel 2 and 2 is channel 3 for switching in the PC section of the FX8

Is there a clear cut procedure as to how to do this from someone on this site to help me out....step by step, cracker trail and all?

Easiest way is if you know what channel you are on your amp. Set the same midi channel on your FX8 then when you are on the midi page of the FX8, try scrolling the knob for PC values from 1, 2 and so in. Just watch what your amp does every PC value change you make. This made it easier for me with my Mesa TC50. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Yes I tried that and nothing was changing on the head. MIDI out of the FX8 to the MIDI on EVH correct? I also had the footswitch unplugged from the head at the same time as to make sure the EVH footswitch wasn't overriding anything.

Are you using the midi block? I use the PC change under Preset->Config->PC num ( x ). Either way, It should work using the midi block though.

Yes. I did it on the computer editor and on the FX8 itself and no luck. In the EVH tech article it states that you need to clear the MIDI registers on the amp itself. Being a second hand amp I don't know if the previous owner had the register sequencing set to another midi controller. EVH tech article states that the EVH head has the PC registers on all 3 channels set to the green channel and that the MIDI data needs to be cleared on the head and to has a channel by channel procedure to set this up via MIDI. Maybe that is the problem with the PC registers set to the Green Channel? I will do a deep dive tonight to see if that is what is holding this out.

Hmmm... I definitely have no idea since I have not owned an evh amp. I’m sorry It didn’t help but I wish you luck!

Back
Top Bottom