FX8 and Axe-Fx II effects threads: Drives & Boosts (DRV)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
The FX8 is out now. It'll breath new life in discussions and questions about effects.
Let's start new threads dedicated to effects. Purpose is to share pedal and rack gear emulations and other effects.
For FX8 as well as Axe-Fx II because the devices share the same effects blocks.*

* The FX8 doesn't provide: Amp, Cab (IRs), Crossover, FXL, Quad Chorus, Tone Match, Multiband Compressor, Vocoder, Synth, Resonator.

Effects categories:

"Rules":
  1. Keep it effects-only. No amps, no IRs.
  2. Provide settings or attach a block file which can be shared through Axe-Edit and FX-Edit.
  3. Specify: mono/stereo output, series/parallel, before/after amp (Axe-Fx only), use of internal/external controllers, FX8/Axe-Fx II, and firmware version.
  4. Quote the source if it's someone else's achievement.
  5. Use a separate post for each effect.
Wiki: Drive effect

Have fun!

Last edited:
Yek's low gain BB preamp

The Drive block adds some grit to a clean tone, and smoothens higher gain tones.
Based on Andy Timmons's BB.

Drive block. Works great on either a clean or dirty amp.

Position: before Amp
I/O: mono
Series/parallel: series

Drive set to BB.
Drive: 0.0
Tone: 5.75
Level: 6.25

Last edited:
Yek's Tone Bender fuzz

Fuzz, on top of an already dirty tone.

Drive block.

Drive set to Bender Fuzz
Drive: 3.0
Tone: 5.75
Level: 5.50
Mix: 100

Last edited:
Groovenut's Klon emulation

Go here.

Note that IRs can't be used with the FX8.

Last edited:
Yek's Fuzz Face

Classic fuzz, on top of an already dirty tone.
Based on a preset by AustinBuddy.

Drive block.

Drive set to Face Fuzz
Drive: 5.0
Tone: 6.0
Level: 5.50
Mid: 1.00
Mix: 95%

Last edited:
Yek's Octavia

Octavia, on top of an already dirty tone.

Drive block.
Use neck pickup, and play around the 12th fret.

Drive set to Octave Dist
Drive: 10
Tone:5
Level: 3.00
Mid: 1.00

Last edited:
Full OD

The Full OD is one of my favorite drives (actually one of the only ones I like) and I thought I would share some settings I use.

Drive block.

Drive set to Full OD
Drive: 2.6
Tone: 7.64
Level: 10.00
Mix: 70%

Transparent Dirt

Another drive I use often. I really like this one. I changed the clipping type to HV Tube because I like the character it gave it. For a smoother drive, try the LED clipping type.

Drive block.

Drive set to FET Boost
Drive: 5.67
Tone: 5.55
Low Cut: 142.7
High Cut: 12698
Clip Type: Hv Tube or LED
Level: 8.77

Yes, the blocks are the same. Also, see thread title and OP.

Guys, just me or the drive block can sound a bit harsh? It's been a few days now that I'm trying to dial something similar to my Tim pedal.

Although I can get very very close tone wise, I can still note that the drive has a "grainy" feeling to it.

Been trying different clipping options but still no luck. I'm playing guitar (335) > fx8 > fender Princeton ('64). Any suggestion to smooth the edges a bit more?

Thanks

Guys, just me or the drive block can sound a bit harsh? It's been a few days now that I'm trying to dial something similar to my Tim pedal.

Although I can get very very close tone wise, I can still note that the drive has a "grainy" feeling to it.

Been trying different clipping options but still no luck. I'm playing guitar (335) > fx8 > fender Princeton ('64). Any suggestion to smooth the edges a bit more?

Thanks

What are the analog drives you dig?

I find the princeton harsh with a lot of analog drives too.

For harshness though try dialing down the hi-cut

What are the analog drives you dig?

I find the princeton harsh with a lot of analog drives too.

For harshness though try dialing down the hi-cut

I was looking for something that doesn't colour the tone essentially.
Conscious it's just my first week with the FX8 so will keep fine tuning it.

Have the feeling that some of the harshness is also coming from how my amp is pointing directly at me so all those highs are piercing my ears :)

I don't have the FX8 but have used the Axe FX 2 for several years.. just to clarify before I suggest anything.

Try the FET, SDD or micro drive blocks if you're trying to keep things fairly transparent. As mentioned above, really experiment with the low and hi cuts in each drive block. I use the FET drive to simulate what my Klon pedal does and actually prefer it to my Klon in some instances. One of my main amps I've used for many years is a '66 PR.. along with a ton of various drive pedals including the TIM pedal (still one of the best).

Here is some of my work with the Drive block so far. I have labeled each with which guitar I was using while building it. They are:

2003 G&L Asat Special (hot p90-ish pickups)

2000 Gretsch Duo Jet with Filtertrons

G&L part-o-caster with G&L legacy alnico pickups (a very start-y start)

-asat edge of breakup-

this one sounds great with all my guitars so far. Just like the name says, dig in and you get some dirt.

-rat like plex...-

this is my take on the plexi in a box marshall sound. built with my gretsch but sounds good with the other guitars too.

superfuzz mk1

this is my first attempt at capturing the sound of my Voodoo Labs super fuzz on it's lower gain setting. It's not quite there but a niece versatile sound anyway!

velcro fuzz

this is my first swipe at the Velcroar by fuzz hugger. It's midrange-y and ugly sounding!

Ruckus low X high Y

this model was a surprise to me. I am not familiar with the real deal but it's a surprisingly versatile fuzz. I have xy set up as the name implies.

Enjoy!

-Nick

Attachments

• asat edge of breakup_20150522_165713.blk
    224 bytes · Views: 84
  • rat like plex gretsch x hi y lo_20150619_182428.blk
    235 bytes · Views: 31
  • superfuzz mk 1_20150506_132621.blk
    212 bytes · Views: 20
  • velcro fuzz gretsch_20150619_183132.blk
    223 bytes · Views: 27
  • ruckus w Gretsch low X high Y_20150601_131351.blk
    233 bytes · Views: 22

Thanks

Yeah, I have a Tim OD as well and have noticed the same. I've been using the BB, SDD, and 3 knob Tubedriver. Probably haven't spent as much time with the hi-cut as I need, partly because I'm still using my Tim in rig 4CM rig into a plexi clone with fx loop.

I'm getting the FX8 on Wednesday and I have a RedPlate AstroDust I can test it out with. Usually I used a Bogner Burnley and an OCD with the RedPlate. I will say that I found my Astro a bit more picky in settings with pedals and guitars than my Marshall style amps, depending on settings. It's also more versatile because of that. I'll report back my experience working it with the FX8. I do wish MFX units (including the Axe) could send info on all 5 midi pins so I could channel switch from the Fractal. As midi only utilizes two pins, no manufacturer will help us out on that though.

I'm getting the FX8 on Wednesday and I have a RedPlate AstroDust I can test it out with. Usually I used a Bogner Burnley and an OCD with the RedPlate. I will say that I found my Astro a bit more picky in settings with pedals and guitars than my Marshall style amps, depending on settings. It's also more versatile because of that. I'll report back my experience working it with the FX8. I do wish MFX units (including the Axe) could send info on all 5 midi pins so I could channel switch from the Fractal. As midi only utilizes two pins, no manufacturer will help us out on that though.

Yes please, keep us posted. I spent quite a few hours to build up my first preset with my Redplate blackloop. A basic rock preset for working with a 70s rock band. Wah - drive - boost - comp -- phaser - trem - delay - reverb - all with x/y settings set up as 4 CM. will pot it here if you're interested.
About midi: took me a while and some mail conversation until I found out that the normal midi 5 pin soldering is NOT compatible with the Redplate footswitch midi soldering. The pins have a different setting that will require an adapter.

Back
Top Bottom