FX8 3.0 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
it still takes 1 step to make a preset.

but takes another step to put the footswitches where you want them. that 2nd step is WELL worth it so you can put the Drive block on whatever switch you choose instead of being forced to the top row, for example. the 5 extra seconds is worth so much more time later. of course, your call though.

Thanks for the reply. It would be nice to have the simplicity of just using the effects page like FW 2.0 and the option assign them to another footswitch like 3.0 if one desires. Maybe automatically placing the blocks into the footswitch page? I won't pretend to understand the complexity of programming but how difficult would it be to have the blocks placed into the assigned footswitch locations from the effects page? I understand there's no way to please everyone and I'm not complaining, just airing my experience. Fractal seems to do a great job of listening and trying to incorporate ideas and requests. I would just like to see new features as options integrated into and not changing existing methods, requiring more time to relearn.

Thanks for the reply. It would be nice to have the simplicity of just using the effects page like FW 2.0 and the option assign them to another footswitch like 3.0 if one desires. Maybe automatically placing the blocks into the footswitch page? I won't pretend to understand the complexity of programming but how difficult would it be to have the blocks placed into the assigned footswitch locations from the effects page? I understand there's no way to please everyone and I'm not complaining, just airing my experience. Fractal seems to do a great job of listening and trying to incorporate ideas and requests. I would just like to see new features as options integrated into and not changing existing methods, requiring more time to relearn.

While I understand your suggestion, I think that automatic placement (the 2.0 method) would get too confusing.

If you want less work assigning foot switches to effects (one step), just use global foot switches.

i considered suggesting the same thing at one point. the problem would be if there is already something in FS slot 1, and then you add an effect into Effect Slot 1... does it replace it? i'm sure they could program "if no FS is there, place it" sorta thing. but it's not REALLY that much more work to page back and put what you want where you want it. i honestly think you'll get used to it very quickly.

the AX8 for example has always been like that and it's not a chore at all.

Thanks so much for the advice. I've spent all the time I have available to troubleshoot right now, I use my FX8 regularly and just need it to work for me right now.
LOL you would have had an answer faster by asking the forum than you would by reverting firmware. Plus, based on your description, it appears to be user error, which is why it makes even less sense. It DID work, you just didn't understand how it worked. Meh, You wasted your troubleshooting time, and obviously didn't read the available documentation on new features.

Maybe next time you will ask the forum instead of coming back after to complain, especially during a BETA.

While I understand your suggestion, I think that automatic placement (the 2.0 method) would get too confusing.

If you want less work assigning foot switches to effects, just use global foot switches.

My suggestion is to place whatever effects blocks are selected on the effects page being sent to the appropriate location on the footswitch page if one chooses to change them. For those who don't need this feature the blocks would be placed in its 'existing' location. I don't understand how that would be confusing, not trying to start anything, just saying.

My suggestion is to place whatever effects blocks are selected on the effects page being sent to the appropriate location on the footswitch page if one chooses to change them. For those who don't need this feature the blocks would be placed in its 'existing' location. I don't understand how that would be confusing, not trying to start anything, just saying.

Chris explained the problem above, that would arise from your suggestion.
That could be solved if users could choose between 2.0 and 3.0, for example in the Global menu, but I would place a bet that only a very small number of people would choose 2.0. Based on the fact that no one ever has asked for such a feature on the MFC-101.

LOL you would have had an answer faster by asking the forum than you would by reverting firmware. Plus, based on your description, it appears to be user error, which is why it makes even less sense. It DID work, you just didn't understand how it worked. Meh, You wasted your troubleshooting time, and obviously didn't read the available documentation on new features.

Maybe next time you will ask the forum instead of coming back after to complain, especially during a BETA.

Not complaining, just sharing my experience thus far. Thought that's what a forum is for. It would be nice to come to the forum and not worry about getting insulting replies that offer no solution or assistance. This is the only forum I've subscribed to where this seems to a habit.

Chris explained the problem above, that would arise from your suggestion.
That could be solved if users could choose between 2.0 and 3.0, for example in the Global menu, but I would place a bet that only a very small number of people would choose 2.0. Based on the fact that no one ever has asked for such a feature on the MFC-101.

If it's not feasible that's fine, hopefully I'll get some time to work with it and get used to it. This is my first Fractal product so the learning curve is a little steeper for me. To have to relearn something that I am just getting a grasp on is not something I have the time to do right now.

Not complaining, just sharing my experience thus far. Thought that's what a forum is for. It would be nice to come to the forum and not worry about getting insulting replies that offer no solution or assistance. This is the only forum I've subscribed to where this seems to a habit.
it's inevitable on a forum where anyone can sign up and say something. just nevermind insulting comments and respond to the people trying to help. there are definitely a few of those types here ;)

If it's not feasible that's fine, hopefully I'll get some time to work with it and get used to it. This is my first Fractal product so the learning curve is a little steeper for me. To have to relearn something that I am just getting a grasp on is not something I have the time to do right now.

completely understood. you might choose to stay on 2.00 forever and that's absolutely ok. some of us are just giving a bit of perspective :)

i considered suggesting the same thing at one point. the problem would be if there is already something in FS slot 1, and then you add an effect into Effect Slot 1... does it replace it? i'm sure they could program "if no FS is there, place it" sorta thing. but it's not REALLY that much more work to page back and put what you want where you want it. i honestly think you'll get used to it very quickly.

I understand that it may not be possible, as I said I could not begin to know what it takes to program something like this. I hope to get used to the new form factor when I'm able to spend more time with it.

it's inevitable on a forum where anyone can sign up and say something. just nevermind insulting comments and respond to the people trying to help. there are definitely a few of those types here ;)

Thanks Chris, I've definitely noticed the one's who are more helpful. My personality type doesn't like to ignore less than helpful comments. They don't get to me, I am just more apt to say something. Hope that won't get me in trouble.

If it takes two steps to create presets I'll stick with the 2.0.

It's really really really so worth the extra step. There a reason that this was added: it was one of, if not the most requested feature, since the FX8 was launched.

It has made gigging much easier for many people and takes me about 120 seconds to set up a scene's footswitchs.

I understand it may not make you happy, but maybe consider giving it a day or so and see what happens. I am 100% not trying to be rude or antagonize you; I'm merely suggesting that the cost benefit analysis for almost everyone seems to result in people - like myself - that would never dream of switching back.

Good luck!

It's really really really so worth the extra step. There a reason that this was added: it was one of, if not the most requested feature, since the FX8 was launched.

It has made gigging much easier for many people and takes me about 120 seconds to set up a scene's footswitchs.

I understand it may not make you happy, but maybe consider giving it a day or so and see what happens. I am 100% not trying to be rude or antagonize you; I'm merely suggesting that the cost benefit analysis for almost everyone seems to result in people - like myself - that would never dream of switching back.

Good luck!

I'm not unhappy about it, just sharing my experience. I'm glad it works for others and I'm sure I'll have the time at some point to figure it out and make it work for me.

I'm not unhappy about it, just sharing my experience. I'm glad it works for others and I'm sure I'll have the time at some point to figure it out and make it work for me.

Cool! Well definitely come in here and ask questions or even if you want to send me a message with questions I'll do my best to answer them.

:)

Reactions: yek
Thanks Chris, I've definitely noticed the one's who are more helpful. My personality type doesn't like to ignore less than helpful comments. They don't get to me, I am just more apt to say something. Hope that won't get me in trouble.
it won't get you in trouble, but it will make them want to talk more :)

Hi there

How in the world did you get the fx-8 to actually control the Bogner blue pedal? I gave up because it doesn't seem to respond correctly to the momentary messages I send.

I set up scene 1 as ring, and scene 2 as off. When I toggle back and forth it doesn't work properly. I've concluded that a ring signal turns it both off and on.

Do you have it working properly so that you can control it with scenes? Or are you just using a foots witch to control it?

I just set up a foot switch to toggle on/off. I haven't delved into scenes yet, still at the stage of setting up blocks and pedalboards (i.e. Presets). I don't gig, so scenes aren't super important for me. I don't mind tap dancing. The Bogner responds as it should, but the pops suck.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here but I took some time to try to get around FW 3.0 and am having some success. Thanks for the assistance! I did discover it does exactly what I'm suggesting with the existing presets; the Footswitch page layout is the same as the Effects page. It would therefore seem possible that the effects could reflect the layout on the Footswitch page. This could only occur when a new Preset is saved for the first time. Once any changes are made on the Footswitch page prior to the initial save, those changes would override the Effects page layout.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here but I took some time to try to get around FW 3.0 and am having some success. Thanks for the assistance! I did discover it does exactly what I'm suggesting with the existing presets; the Footswitch page layout is the same as the Effects page. It would therefore seem possible that the effects could reflect the layout on the Footswitch page. This could only occur when a new Preset is saved for the first time. Once any changes are made on the Footswitch page prior to the initial save, those changes would override the Effects page layout.

I also thought this might be a good idea for new presets... a sort of "write effects to switches" button... it wouldn't HAVE to be only new presets, but you'd probably want a disable-able popup warning along the lines of, "Pressing OK will replace existing footswitch settings with the effects selected on the effects page. This can not be undone."

A few questions and more...

First let me say I am using the new footswitch settings and I'm still wrapping my head around it.

I have the bottom row set to S1 S2 S3 S4 and the top row are actual effects.

First...
I'm guessing "sticky scenes" has to be set to off to use the new footswitch options. In the past I usually had sticky scenes set to on. With 3.0 the black boxes do not follow where I step if it stick scenes are set to on. Turning sticky scenes off they do change when I step on them. Is this correct?

Second...
Let's say I choose scene 3 and then choose an effect from the top row. Is the only way to turn off that effect by choosing a different scene or hitting the effect again? Hitting the same scene you are on will not turn the effect you added off. Is this correct?

Third...
I have the unit's default scene set to 1. When I choose a preset the blank space where 1 used to be turns black not the bottom where I have S1 saved as a footswitch. It would be nice if wherever scene 1 was placed would turn black. Is this a glitch?

1 suggestion. It would be nice if you could turn off the lights on the unit. It's a little confusing now when you have scene 1 set to the bottom left button but when you select it the light actually turns on by the footswitch that used to be 1 on the top left. I am just going to gaff tape over the lights for now.

Overall a good update. The option to name the scenes would make it perfect for me but I'll take what I can get for now. Ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom