FX3 (FX only) Speculation?

One would expect a potentially lower price point on something like that.
There would be no point sinking a single penny into the development on that. The cost of retooling to do what? Remove a processor? No one is going to want that. And for a lower price? Fractal doesn't need to address this market segment. Why bother wrestling market share from the H9 and zillion other things? The FX-3 didn't do the numbers because of that.

There would be no point sinking a single penny into the development on that. The cost of retooling to do what? Remove a processor? No one is going to want that. And for a lower price? Fractal doesn't need to address this market segment. Why bother wrestling market share from the H9 and zillion other things? The FX-3 didn't do the numbers because of that.
Well, I would disagree. There are numerous "FX only" processors on the market, and folks that appreciate the 4-cable method. Whether it's enough to turn a profit is up to Fractal, but I think it's a bit incorrect to make a statement as definitive as saying "no point in sinking a single penny" on that. You are, however, entitled to your opinion.

There are numerous "FX only" processors on the market,
Thanks for reiterating my point and then demonstrating your complete and utter lack of even a shred of business sense. You only see what you want, doesn’t matter if it makes sense outside of the confines of your own cranium or not.

They did an FX3, saw how it did in the market, and killed it, because you can get pretty darn good effects- particularly time-based effects - from a lot of other places for way cheaper than Fractal price points. You literally are stating it yourself. You want them to do the same thing over and over expecting a different result. That’s being delusional and expecting the world to go along with you.

Or maybe you just don’t care if a small company loses its shirt on funding a non-starter just as long as you and an economically insignificant percentage of market buyers get what you want.

Last edited:
Thanks for reiterating my point and then demonstrating your complete and utter lack of even a shred of business sense. You only see what you want, doesn’t matter if it makes sense outside of the confines of your own cranium or not.

They did an FX3, saw how it did in the market, and killed it, because you can get pretty darn good effects- particularly time-based effects - from a lot of other places for way cheaper than Fractal price points. You literally are stating it yourself. You want them to do the same thing over and over expecting a different result. That’s being delusional and expecting the world to go along with you.

Or maybe you just don’t care if a small company loses its shirt on funding a non-starter just as long as you and an economically insignificant percentage of market buyers get what you want.
It's a shame that you seemingly feel like that type of rhetoric and derogatory dialogue is the most effective way to convey your point. I'm not sure what I did other than having hopeful expectation for a product to cause you to address me in such a rude and demeaning manner.

Take care, man.

ignored

I'd love to see one of these.... I had tried a friend's FM3 to use with 4CM, but had a bit of noise that I couldn't clear up completely. I wonder maybe if an FX3 were to be sold, if that would be any better, especially if based around 1/4" TS ins/out not needing XLR/balanced outs for hitting a line level out.

Regardless, the form factor of an FC12 would be awesome...enough buttons to turn effects on/off easily, but maybe a simplified UI without the amp and cab modeling, but even if it was in the same shell as an FM3, I would still get one and add an FC6 if needed.

After all, they did an FX8....
That is what a G System does. I got the FM3 because the G system doesn’t do amps...just effects and switching.

Although the Marine comes off as pretty abrasive (what do you expect from a Marine? Lol /respect), Fractal did make the FX8 a while back and it was quite good. I had one for a while. They did kill it though so it stands to reason they thought it wasn’t viable from a business perspective. Or at least not from theirs at that time. Who knows, maybe they will bring something like that back in the future. I wouldn’t bet on it but it’s not impossible I suppose.

In the meantime, the FM3 is quite capable of 4CM in my experience. The only issue I’ve had has been a bit of hum with certain amps and that was easily solved with Humbuster cables and/or an Ebtech Hum Eliminator. With the amps I’m using now I was using 5CM (4CM + another cable to the return of a second amp for stereo) and it was glorious.

I’ve since moved to just bypassing the real amp preamps completely and running into the FX returns and it’s every bit as glorious.

As we discussed, your issue isn’t hum but isn’t it possible the problem isn’t anything to do with the FM3?

Can this be done on a preset basis...or is it global? Maybe another way to ask, Could one just create a preset w/o an amp and cab, i.e. as an effects only preset?
can be done in global or patch level, in patch level you just do not add the amp and speaker IR blocks. so to answer your question yes it can be done either way...

I would love an effects-only version of the FM3.

Fractal's decision to not embrace 4cm users with the current product lineup seems indicative of a philosophical decision to envision/promote a world where the only way forward is digital. They're probably not wrong, in a longterm picture, but there's a whole lot of current real amp users who would gladly buy an effects-only version in the meantime, especially one with the improvements the FM3 has brought (easier editing on the device itself, better screen, etc).

Look at the success of the HXFX. It brought a ton of pedal/amp guys into the digital world, me included.

Also, as someone who was interested in the FX8 but never bought one, maybe the issues were more in that product itself and not that it was effects-only, for example its lack of scribble strips/screens and a reputation for being tricky to operate and needing a computer to edit easily. That's largely why I never bought one, yet I did buy an HXFX.

IIRC the things the FX8 had that would set such a unit apart were:

1. Isolated I/O or something that made it less likely to get ground loops in 4CM.

2. Remote switch outs to control amp channel switching.

3. A lower price tag than the AX8/FM3.

Thankfully, I haven’t had significant issues with noise with my amps and 4CM (or 5CM). I did have some hum when I first got the FM3 and with certain amps and had to use a Hum Eliminator to completely kill the noise.

I bought a Suhr miniMidi box to switch amp channels. This is no longer being used because (1) I’m using MIDI capable amps and (2) I’m just going into the FX loops so I don’t need to switch channels anyway.

While I wouldn’t buy an FX only unit these days, I get the desire for one (again, I bought an FX8–and had an HXFX). Outside of the price difference though, there are fairly simple ways to accomplish the same tasks with the current lineup.

Have you got any parallel blocks in your presets? Just remember that a parallel block will introduce +4db of gain if you don't set the Bypass correctly (and then the mix)
No. I did a drive in the front, and a delay and reverb in the loop. Noise was with everything bypassed as well.

No. I did a drive in the front, and a delay and reverb in the loop. Noise was with everything bypassed as well.
Using which Outs? - are you using the "official"/easier Out 1 4CM or the Out 2 L/R method?

I'm wondering if your Out1 is up too high for the Return to the FX loop.

Also, check your Boost/Pad on Out 2 in settings (I/O Audio) - make sure that is as close to 0 as possible.

The Connections piece in the manual for the 4CM example is quite good.

I however, just use the OUT2 L/R method - ok, not in the manual but found quite easily HERE - that gives Unity to both Amp In and FX Return which gives your amp the best chance of not hissing like a gas leak.....

Using which Outs? - are you using the "official"/easier Out 1 4CM or the Out 2 L/R method?

I'm wondering if your Out1 is up too high for the Return to the FX loop.

Also, check your Boost/Pad on Out 2 in settings (I/O Audio) - make sure that is as close to 0 as possible.

The Connections piece in the manual for the 4CM example is quite good.

I however, just use the OUT2 L/R method - ok, not in the manual but found quite easily HERE - that gives Unity to both Amp In and FX Return which gives your amp the best chance of not hissing like a gas leak.....
I'm doing what is referenced in the manual, but I'll check out your suggestion.

I had similar hum and white noise issues when connecting my FM3 to my Sig:X in 4CM, until last night. Humbuster cables helped with most of the hum. Selected 12db or 18db as the output 2 pad helped ALOT. Finally, I flipped a switch on the back of my amp to change the FX loop from instrument to line level and BOoM, hum, noise, and hiss are so low as to be unnoticeable at rehersal or stage volumes.

You've got a Trogdor avatar and you've got a Sig:X. We must be kindred spirits.

1630115705419.png

Back
Top Bottom