FX3 (FX only) Speculation?

SinglecutGuy

Inspired
I'd love to see one of these.... I had tried a friend's FM3 to use with 4CM, but had a bit of noise that I couldn't clear up completely. I wonder maybe if an FX3 were to be sold, if that would be any better, especially if based around 1/4" TS ins/out not needing XLR/balanced outs for hitting a line level out.

Regardless, the form factor of an FC12 would be awesome...enough buttons to turn effects on/off easily, but maybe a simplified UI without the amp and cab modeling, but even if it was in the same shell as an FM3, I would still get one and add an FC6 if needed.

After all, they did an FX8....

One would expect a potentially lower price point on something like that.

For my purposes, I tried that, and the noise through 4CM wasn't able to be cleared up enough to be utilized for that purpose. Fractal in the manual of the FM3 doesn't seem to necessarily want the FM3 to be used in 4CM, which I can understand. So I'm hoping for an FX3...

Makes sense, but isn't the 4CM kind of old tech? I remember trying to do that with a RP1000 and was not very happy withy the sound...

I would say it's the "new"-tech way of utilizing a digital pedalboard in the same way that the AxeFX/FM3 is the "new"-tech way of utilizing a digital modeling option. Many people move to the AxeFX III/FM3 to get away from using amplifiers, so a presumed "FX3" would be the move for people who want to get away from a pedal board full of pedals. Similar to a Line 6 HX Effects.

I have one amplifier in particular that I love (Friedman Runt 50), and while I love my Axe III, there's just something about sitting in front of my speaker cab and playing guitar through a physical amp and cab. I almost exclusively use my Axe III, but every once in a while, when there's an outdoor gig, I like using the amp mic'd up. I wanted to abandon the pedalboard and go with 1 unit to do all my FX, so I tried the FM3 in 4CM, and it was good, but I couldn't get rid of all the white noise/hiss, even with Humbuster cables. So I'm secretly hoping for an FX3, or something similar.

I hear you, I have my fav amps too, interesting that with the FX your not having a white noise problem but with the AX3 and FM3 you are, frankly I'd think the opposite would be true i.e. newer gear would play more nice with the 4CM... Go figure...

One would expect a potentially lower price point on something like that.

For my purposes, I tried that, and the noise through 4CM wasn't able to be cleared up enough to be utilized for that purpose. Fractal in the manual of the FM3 doesn't seem to necessarily want the FM3 to be used in 4CM, which I can understand. So I'm hoping for an FX3...
What kind of noise were you experiencing? When I initially tried connecting to my amps I did have some hum. I reduced it with Humbuster cables and completely eliminated it with an amp Ebtech Hum Eliminator. Recently I tried 4CM but used XLR to TS cables from output 1 as recommended in the manual. I had no noise that way. Now I’ve settled on just running the FM3 into the amps’ FX loops as the FM3 models can sound as good (often better) to me than the real preamps.

What kind of noise were you experiencing? When I initially tried connecting to my amps I did have some hum. I reduced it with Humbuster cables and completely eliminated it with an amp Ebtech Hum Eliminator. Recently I tried 4CM but used XLR to TS cables from output 1 as recommended in the manual. I had no noise that way. Now I’ve settled on just running the FM3 into the amps’ FX loops as the FM3 models can sound as good (often better) to me than the real preamps.
My issues were not hum related, they were white noise/hiss/static. More noticeable on the gain channel of my amp. I used all recommended cable types and followed all recommended instructions, and while doing those things helped lower the noise, it was still present enough that I don't deem the setup useable for gigging.

For 4CM, having a floor unit actually isn’t ideal because of the amount of unbalanced cable you have to run, which would increase noise. The ideal for 4CM would be the FM3/AF3 right next to the amp with short cable runs, and then an FC6/12 in front of you for control.

For 4CM, having a floor unit actually isn’t ideal because of the amount of unbalanced cable you have to run, which would increase noise. The ideal for 4CM would be the FM3/AF3 right next to the amp with short cable runs, and then an FC6/12 in front of you for control.
Humbuster cables.

Humbuster cables.
As @oakworka mentioned, I have Humbuster cables that I made myself, so we're looking at balanced wire as the foundation, and all cables are under 21'. Even at those distances, noise should not enter the equation.

I have

This might be particular to the amp with which you used it. I don't have the same issue with my Electra Dyne or Rectoverb 25.
I'm certainly open to the idea that it's my amp, but I ran a physical pedal board with it, with no noise at all. So I'm thinking it's something to do with a digital processor.

I'm certainly open to the idea that it's my amp, but I ran a physical pedal board with it, with no noise at all. So I'm thinking it's something to do with a digital processor.
Yes, or that particular amp and the FM3.

Have you tried a Helix or something with it?

Yes, or that particular amp and the FM3.

Have you tried a Helix or something with it?
Yea, I had lots of ground hums that I solved with an Ebtech / Radial, but no hiss/white noise. Ultimately I just wasn't a fan of the quality of the effects. I've gotten so used to the sound of my Axe III's effects that it's hard to walk away from that.

I had similar hum and white noise issues when connecting my FM3 to my Sig:X in 4CM, until last night. Humbuster cables helped with most of the hum. Selected 12db or 18db as the output 2 pad helped ALOT. Finally, I flipped a switch on the back of my amp to change the FX loop from instrument to line level and BOoM, hum, noise, and hiss are so low as to be unnoticeable at rehersal or stage volumes.

I had similar hum and white noise issues when connecting my FM3 to my Sig:X in 4CM, until last night. Humbuster cables helped with most of the hum. Selected 12db or 18db as the output 2 pad helped ALOT. Finally, I flipped a switch on the back of my amp to change the FX loop from instrument to line level and BOoM, hum, noise, and hiss are so low as to be unnoticeable at rehersal or stage volumes.
Man, I wish I had that switch! I tried all the other things.

Try Bakerman's Out2 setup for 4CM - maxxing Out2 knob will then give you Unity Gain.

If you are using Out1 for 4CM then you need to make sure the line level for Out 1 is set correctly for the Friedman.

I've also heard that cable placement is key with the Friedman loops (yes, as mad as that sounds!!)

And finally, what are you running in the loop? anything that could introduce hiss/extra gain stages to the FX loop?

My MKV (which is also capable of running silly levels of gain) is completely silent in 4CM with the FM3 - I am however using OUT2 (Left) as my 4CM method.

Back
Top Bottom