FX3, FC6, Logic Pro midi question

coffee01

I just got the FC6 and got the ez layout working, pretty cool.

I'm trying to set up one of the FC6 layouts to be a bunch of Control Switches and send midi commands to Logic Pro like Start/Stop, Record, etc. I have a CS1 setup with latching and sending on channel 1. But it doesn't look like Logic is receiving the midi message. It is receiving a constant influx of midi messages from the FX3 (probably the tempo sync?). Following the instructions on page 14 of the Footswitch Functions Guide.

I've read through all the FC manuals, FX3 manuals, and did a search on the forums but didn't find anything, sorry if it's been asked before. Saw a few threads where people said the FX3 doesn't support midi over USB, but the FX3 manual states there's high-speed "MIDI-over-USB".??

I have the FX3 connected to my mac via USB running as the audio interface and the FC6 connected to the FX3 via FastLink.

I'm guessing I'm missing some global settings or something. Any help would be appreciated.

I think Control Switch MIDI messages are only sent to the physical MIDI Out port and not back to the computer via USB.

You could probably pick up a cheap USB MIDI interface cable and connect it to your Axe III's MIDI ports and do it that way.

I think Control Switch MIDI messages are only sent to the physical MIDI Out port and not back to the computer via USB.

You could probably pick up a cheap USB MIDI interface cable and connect it to your Axe III's MIDI ports and do it that way.

I think you're correct. After I wrote this I remembered I had one of those cables and sent the FX3 midi out to the mac via a midi-to-usb cable and it works as expected.

So does that mean the FX3 really doesn't send midi commands over USB? That's a bummer, but at least I can use the FC6 as I was hoping.

thanks.

It does in some situations. I believe you can trigger MIDI messages from the computer and control the Axe III with those.

Back
Top Bottom