FX profiling?

octatonic

Experienced
So.... I am wondering about the possibility for FX profiling.

I have a particularly amazing sounding octave pedal- an Ibanez OT10 (I actually have 2 of them).

The octaver effect in the Axe is ok but doesn't approach the balls to the ball nastiness of my Ibanez OT10's.
Is there any possibility of being able to profile more than just an amp, but a specific effect as well- maybe with a future firmware release?

With Cliff, it's definitely possible. A lot will depend on the number of folks asking for it and whether he feels that it adds value to the product line.

currently not and I doubt that that would really be possible. just imagine you could "profile" any effect out there...

As I've said before, the creation of Melodyne DNA humbled me personally from using "can't be done" too much in this sort of conversation, but my semi-professional estimation is still that such profiling would fall under "naaaaaah..." If it was possible, it would probably require too much resources to be practical.

My message is this; don't hold back on finding solutions that work for you waiting for this to happen.

As I've said before, the creation of Melodyne DNA humbled me personally from using "can't be done" too much in this sort of conversation, but my semi-professional estimation is still that such profiling would fall under "naaaaaah..." If it was possible, it would probably require too much resources to be practical.

My message is this; don't hold back on finding solutions that work for you waiting for this to happen.

Downloaded a trial version of Melodyne recently to transcribe a Duke Ellington tune... truly unbelievable tech.

Richard

I could imagine this to work with Drive pedals, as they are not too far off amps. "profiling" Reverbs and Delays sort of exists already (not in the Axe though) in the form of shooting IRs, but I'm not sure if the Axe has enough resourcess left to cope with IRs of that size.

I have a particularly amazing sounding octave pedal- an Ibanez OT10
The octaver effect in the Axe is ok but doesn't approach the balls to the ball nastiness of my Ibanez OT10's.

would it be possible to recreate this ballsiness via a combination of FX blocks?
possibly a drive block [pre- shifter] and a PEQ block [pre or post shifter]??
also it's worth experimenting with the location of the shifter in the fx chain
placement pre 'gain stage' [compression / drive / amp] will sound very different to post 'gain stage'

the thing I'm discovering with the Axe [despite my noobness with it] is that there is often a solution..
but it's not always obvious.. and not always the same as a string of stomps into an amp..

IMO, Drive and Wah pedal cloning would be achievable and desirable.

Richard

Wah for sure....
the thought os sitting there for days twiddling knobs so I can possibly find a combination that almost sound like a Dunlop CryBaby is really unappealing..
type=CryBaby / Vox / some other cool wah maker dude would be nice..
and having all the other knobs to play with from then on [as we do now] just makes it seriously nice

So.... I am wondering about the possibility for FX profiling.

I have a particularly amazing sounding octave pedal- an Ibanez OT10 (I actually have 2 of them).

Is there any possibility of being able to profile more than just an amp, but a specific effect as well- maybe with a future firmware release?

You mean the Octaver mode of the Pitch Shifter?

Did you try the Ring Modulator, set to Tracking. Works great.

would it be possible to recreate this ballsiness via a combination of FX blocks?
possibly a drive block [pre- shifter] and a PEQ block [pre or post shifter]??
also it's worth experimenting with the location of the shifter in the fx chain
placement pre 'gain stage' [compression / drive / amp] will sound very different to post 'gain stage'

the thing I'm discovering with the Axe [despite my noobness with it] is that there is often a solution..
but it's not always obvious.. and not always the same as a string of stomps into an amp..

Yes I've tried a couple fo different approaches, including splitting the octaves out separately and applying a bit of distortion to them and blending them back into the main guitar signal.
It is ok- but not as good as the OT10.

You mean the Octaver mode of the Pitch Shifter?

Did you try the Ring Modulator, set to Tracking. Works great.

Yes I've tried that- it doesn't sound much like the OT10 though.

just had a quick attempt at that ibanez. i got something similar with the octaver pitch block and the octave fuzz drive block. similar...but obviously not exact...

I had never heard of Melodyne, or their DNA technology. Just watched him take a strummed guitar chord, ONE guitar chord, and reshape it into a melody, interactively, via a key board. OMFG that is amazing! Thanks!

as the dry signal or the octave down? is it just a fuzz, or is it doing something else?

Sorry I was in the middle of a mix.

IIRC the edge control is the same octave as the dry signal.
It isn't a fuzz per se- I'll have to sit down and do clips of each component and we can see whats what.
Will try to do it over the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom