FX loop too quiet

ghost219

Inspired
I have 2 H9's running the in the FX loop and was wondering why it's so quiet? If i turn them up, I start clipping my H9's but the signal still isn't that strong. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I had the same problem when trying to run a hardwire reverb in the loop. Too quiet, or clipping bad. I read the manual and tried all combinations of global i/o settings with no luck.

I gave up and dumbed down my presets to use internal verb, but would like to know the answer to this as well...

Did you try adjusting the level of the FX Loop block in the preset? FX loop volume is affected by its block level as well as the global Input 2 settings.

Same issue here with my H9. I'm sure it's user error on my part and hoping to get resolution thru this thread.

Jamie

My guess is that your AX8 is attenuating -10dB on the FX return when it should probably be at +4dB. That can be adjusted in the I/O menu in the settings (or one of the other menus, I can't remember off the top of my head; it's one of the three.)

Yeah it's under the first tab (Levels) in the I/O menu... yet another setting that affects FX loop gain staging.

There are several points to set levels throughout the FX loop.
1. FX send level in block/preset
2. Out 2 level -- I/O Levels and front panel knob
3. input level for device(s) in FX loop
4. output level for device(s) in FX loop
5. Input 2 return level back to AX8 -- global input
6. FX return level in block/preset

I agree with Mitch -- from what you've described, it sounds like the point that needs tweakage is somewhere in the last couple of steps like the IO levels. One thing you can do to check is take the output from your pedal and run it to something else (like the FX return of an amp); if it sounds good level-wise, adjust the input gain on the AX8 return.

Thanks for the help. I think I may have it figured out with a unity gain setting as well. Will post back soon.

I've worked on a lot of rigs using H9s integrated with the AxeFX. I helped Dweezil Zappa program his AX8 with an H9 in the loop for his run on the Experience Hendrix tour.

I've found the headroom for H9s to clip really early on. Use the LEDs on the H9 unit to see how much input you're sending. What I did was lower the input into the H9 (FX loop block, Level parameter, pick which row you're using, consult the manual for details) and use the level parameter in H9 algorithms as makeup gain to get your signal back to unity level. This only applies if you have the H9 effect engaged. Also, another trick is to have the FX loop block in parallel with your main signal chain and have your H9 algorithms set 100% wet to do a Wet/Dry. You'll maintain unity gain and you can use the H9's output to add more/less of an effect when you engage it or the FXloop block. If you bypass the block using this method make sure you set it to mute the output or you'll have a boost in dry level.

The great thing about the AX8 + H9 integration is using midi. You can adjust each of your patches to send midi to the H9 to switch between H9's different sounds and algorithms. Use AX8-edit and the midi tab at the bottom to send patch changes etc to your H9.

OK I have had a loop block in my presets since I got the AX8 and haven't had any trouble with it. After the recent firmware upgrade, though, I'm having the same issue as the OP. It's super quiet. I'm using a Digitech Jamman instead of an H9 though. But I've tried all of the suggestions here and nothing seems to increase the volume level even a little. I'm positive it's some kind of setting, because it was working fine until recently. Any other suggestions?

You have to run Output 2 at 100% if you don't want any level change in your dry tone as it runs through your pedal in the loop and back. A patch cable from Out 2 directly to In 2 with Output 2 at 100% will give you unity gain.

If the H9 can't handle the level, run it before the Amp block. Or, run the H9 in Kill Dry mode and run the FX Loop block in parallel. That way, you can feed Output 2 at any level that's appropriate for the H9. The Strymon pedals have the same input level limits.

Back
Top Bottom