FX Loop Noise

Stealthed8200

Hello guys!

This is my very first post, so first of all I`d like to tell you, that I REALLY enjoy my Axe FX II XL+. Soon it will be 1 year since I bought it, never experienced any problems.. till now.

Despite the quality and awesomeness of this unit I am using 3 external pedals. These are: B7K Ultra, Horizon Devices - Precision Drive and Strymon Big Sky.
My signal chain basically looks like:
Guitar -> Instr Input -> Gate -> FX Loop Block [Output 2 L send -> Effect Input -> Effect Output -> Input 2 (FX Ret) L/Mono] -> Gate -> AMP SIM -> CAB SIM -> Output: Either my interface to speakers or Matrix GT1000FX to cab.

The moment I'm plugging TS cable to Input 2 (FX Return L/Mono) the noise starts. It doesn`t matter if my effect is connected, turned off or on or even FX Send is plugged. There is quite loud noise. You can get away with it with the gate just after FX Loop Block, however noise is still there and it`s annoying. There are differences, though. Only Input 2 plugged = more like humming. Input 2 + Output 2 = basic noise without the low humm, but with annoying static around 6kHz.
There is one more interesting thing. I don`t really know if it should be like that, but when I turn off my AMP Block and there is somewhere in the chain the FX Loop Block on, I can`t hear anything. I can see input levels, effect working, but can`t hear it. If I turn FX Loop Block off, then even with AMP SIM Block off I can hear everything.
It`s all the same, no matter which pedal I use, so the problem lies somewhere else.

I hope you guys can help me with this :<

Ps. Sorry for my english as it`s not my native language :)

The loop will always add some noise, which can be more noticeable when followed by an amp block. There might be some ways to reduce it if one or more settings haven't been adjusted optimally. It would be good to temporarily disable all noise gating in the preset, so you can hear exactly how any adjustments change the noise level.

1. Is the Output 2 knob at 100%?

2. In the I/O menu, what's the setting for "Input 2 Mode"?

3. Have you adjusted Input 2 level in the I/O menu as described in the manual, while playing guitar with loop pedals activated? Check with every combination of pedals you plan to use, making sure the loudest combination doesn't light the red Input 2 LEDs excessively.

Yeah I disabled all the gates while tweaking.

1. My Output 2 matches the Output 1 level, which is 35%.
2. Left Only
3. Yeap, I did, but even at 100% it never lights red.

Set Output 2 knob to 100%, then test/adjust Input 2 level again afterward. Also realize you'll need to lower drive-related parameters on the pedals if you adjusted them for a certain amount of drive, since there will be a higher level sent to them now.

Alright, I have done so and noise floor seems to be a bit lower now. Also adjusted my settings accordingly. Is there anything else I can do to reduce the noise floor? Maybe some balanced cables, since Input 2 is described as balanced.

And what about the Amp off = no audio issue?

A balanced cable would only (possibly) help if the device at the other end has a balanced output. Strymon pedal ins/outs = unbalanced.

Check if the amp block bypass mode is thru or mute.

Back
Top Bottom