FX Loop Level Question

maschoff

Experienced
Could somebody please help me understand this?

I've matched Input 1 and 2 but Output 1 drops a number of decibels after the FX loop; amp and FX loop are the only active FX. I would assume if input 1 and 2 are the same then with nothing after the FX loop, the level would be the same at Output 1. My global EQs are flat and the output level of the patch is at 0 dB. Output 2 knob is at 100%. My apologies, the video was shot one handed. 20130127_140006.mp4 - YouTube

Hi, the preset has nothing active but an amp and FX loop but I'll try to post later; axe-edit changes the preset, so I can't save with it faithfully ... need to figure out how to do this with midi-ox. No the timeline and bluesky are fed by the FX send and returns of the mixer and those are turned all the way down. Besides, it all happens after the return, Input 1 and 2 are the same. The drop happens after the signal returns and before the output of the FX loop.

What are the bypass modes of the post-FXL blocks? Something in series using mute fx in/out will lower the level (with nonzero mix %) unless you turn the block level up.

Just checked, all but the amp block is set to Thru; Amp block is mute because I use other inputs from the mixer sometimes, but this shouldn't matter because it's before the FX Loop.

Maybe it's normal. Check the analog output level w/ Out 1 knob at maximum; if it's the same as what you sent in then things are probably working as intended.

The output level knob has no affect on the output level meter. The output level knob is independent of the level internal to the axe. The output level knob only determines the analog level out.

If you look at the diagram on page 180 :) the only thing between the meters and the FX loop out is the input mode: stereo, L+R sum, left only. Tried them all and nothing changed.

What I meant is see if the actual analog level at Out 1 matches what you sent to Input 2. There might be a "hidden" digital level cut (the Axe 1 has a 6 dB cut like this) but that doesn't mean the analog out couldn't be designed to produce unity gain w/ the knob at maximum.

The FX Loop has it's own gain and pan controls, with the param's page being the FX Send's level, and the mixer page being the FX return.

The Timeline is likely a gtr level box, so set the FX Send level to not kill the Timeline, and boost the FX Return level to get back to where you need to be.

Could somebody please help me understand this?

I've matched Input 1 and 2 but Output 1 drops a number of decibels after the FX loop; amp and FX loop are the only active FX. I would assume if input 1 and 2 are the same then with nothing after the FX loop, the level would be the same at Output 1. My global EQs are flat and the output level of the patch is at 0 dB. Output 2 knob is at 100%. My apologies, the video was shot one handed. 20130127_140006.mp4 - YouTube

Yeah, the Timeline takes a signal up to +8 dB and I have the send set to ~75% and during the video it's return level is zeroed, so it's off. But that's not the issue, I would assume that the level in the axe would be conserved if I set the FX return to 0 dB but it is not, I experience a 3 dB drop in level in the FX loop block itself from the input level. I am trying to understand why this is and its impact.

What I meant is see if the actual analog level at Out 1 matches what you sent to Input 2. There might be a "hidden" digital level cut (the Axe 1 has a 6 dB cut like this) but that doesn't mean the analog out couldn't be designed to produce unity gain w/ the knob at maximum.

I haven't tested but I think this might be the case.

I finally figured this out ... it's a function of the Input 2 level setting under the Input tab under the I/O menu. @100% there is a 15 db drop, so you have to boost the FX Loop output 15 db. @ 0% there is a 3 db boost, so you have to reduce the FX Loop output to -3 dB. @ ~18% it's even and no adjustment to the FX Loop output is required, so it can be left a 0 dB.

I finally figured this out ... it's a function of the Input 2 level setting under the Input tab under the I/O menu. @100% there is a 15 db drop, so you have to boost the FX Loop output 15 db. @ 0% there is a 3 db boost, so you have to reduce the FX Loop output to -3 dB. @ ~18% it's even and no adjustment to the FX Loop output is required, so it can be left a 0 dB.

Thanks for the update.

Back
Top Bottom