FX Loop help?

jefferski

Fractal Fanatic
I've been trying to add an outboard effect unit (Morpheus Capo) to use the 12-string effect in one of my presets and no matter how I connect it I can't seem to get the FX loop to work. What am I missing? My connection looks like this:

Guitar > Input 1 > (whatever blocks in AFX layout) > FX Loop > Output 2 > Capo > Input 2 > etc

It's a mono device, so I'm using L for both send and return (I tried R and that didn't help either). I've also tried the FX Loop both in series and parallel in the layout, no luck. (I actually want it in parallel, because the Capo direct in-line has a little too much of the 12 string effect, so I want some straight signal mixed in w/ the effect). I also tried running a cable direct from Out 2 > In 2 and it seems that no signal is passing thru at all.

Tried it with "Copy Out 1 to Out 2" both on and off, made no difference. Likewise tried Input 1/2 Modes (stereo, L+R, L). All the levels in the FX block are at default, and changing levels, etc doesn't change anything either. I also tested the Capo unit in front of the AFX and it works fine (guitar > capo > Input 1)

I'm sure there's something simple that I'm missing in setting up the FX loop but I don't know what else it could be?
Thanks!

It's not unity gain if the Amp block is in the signal - it boosts it past unity gain most of the time. Other blocks with increased levels too.

Unity gain is only with shunts all the way, no other blocks.

It's not unity gain if the Amp block is in the signal - it boosts it past unity gain most of the time. Other blocks with increased levels too.

Unity gain is only with shunts all the way, no other blocks.
Depends on how you've set the level on the amp block. It's possible to set it up so the output level actually drops when yolu kick in the amp sim.

No, not the signal pathway. The relationship between the analog output level and the digital level. The output levels on the status meter give you the digital output level regardless of the output level knob's position. The output level knob has to be dimed in order to get that level at the analog output.

Last edited:
For my setup I found that with the Out 2 knob dimed, I needed to boost the level of the FX block around 10-12db to get a good balance between the clean signal and the 12 string effect. Until I can test w /the band, this is a good starting place... and I can use the Out 2 knob to lower the amount of effect if needed.

Of course, different devices will send different levels back to the Axe so I'm not sure how applicable this would be for other rigs...

Back
Top Bottom