FX Loop doesn't work properly

Rob Venable

Hi,
I have the FX-8 and a JP-2C and I have set it up using the 4 cable method. I have the switch on the front of the JP-2C set to FX and the sound is very low and it appears that the post effects are not working...only the pre effects.

This is the first pedal board that I own and I'm not very familiar with it but this worked last week and now it doesn't work properly. I've been playing with some MIDI settings recently to control my JP-2C from the FX-8 and I'm wondering if I accidentally set something that would prevent me from hearing it at higher volume. When I toggle off of the FX switch, the volume returns.

Is there a setting that I can change to make this work?

Thanks

The forum here is incredibly helpful. If you put in a few more details -- how you have it routed, what MIDI settings you changed, what are the configuration options on the Mesa, etc -- you will likely get some good answers.

I doubt this is your problem as I don't have an FX8 (I have owned Ultra, II and AX8), but one bone-headed thing I did was inadvertently hit a bypass button on the front of the unit, which caused a similar problem.

Reactions: Rex
When I toggle off of the FX switch, the volume returns.

It sounds like what ever Midi command you are sending is turning off the FX loop on the amp.

The best way to sort this out is to select a scene on the FX8 (that will send a midi signal to the amp), toggle the switches for the settins you want on the JP2C, then toggle the midi store switch on the back of the amp.

That should program the JP2C to respond with your settings when you engage the scene.

It sounds like what ever Midi command you are sending is turning off the FX loop on the amp.

The best way to sort this out is to select a scene on the FX8 (that will send a midi signal to the amp), toggle the switches for the settins you want on the JP2C, then toggle the midi store switch on the back of the amp.

That should program the JP2C to respond with your settings when you engage the scene.

I tried that but it didn't work. If I unplug the Midi cable, wouldn't that prevent a Midi signal from sending? I don't see anywhere in the settings that could control the FX loop...just the FX switch on the amp.

OK, looks like I got it. I looked at the manual and saw this note which was after the instructions for setting up the 4 cable method:

NOTE: For this setup, you’ll probably want to make one global change. Open the GLOBAL menu (press SETUP followed by Footswitch 1) and find the SETTINGS page. NAV to GLOBAL LOOPER LOCATION and then use VALUE to select “OUT POST”. Press EXIT twice to save and return to the Footswitch page.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Back
Top Bottom