FX Loop Basics

trancegodz

Fractal Fanatic
What is the proper way to use the FX Loop for adding an external pedal like an Eventide pedal? I just tried putting an Eventide pedal in the FX Loop in stereo and the right two meters on the front of the Axe FXII were way in the red. (The left two were fine). I'd set the Eventide's in and out to Line. I tried setting it to amp and guitar but it didn't change the VU meters going in the red so I changed it back to line. What was weird was when I'd bypass the FX Loop the dry sound was louder than with the FX Loop on. Even with the Eventide effect turned off from the Eventide pedal itself and the Axe FX Loop turned on, the sound was degraded and quieter also. Just turning on the loop seemed to degrade the signal in tone and volume. I don't get it. What I am doing wrong?

Out 2 controls the output of the FX Loop block going to the input of your Eventide pedal. If it was all the way off, then the Eventide wasn't getting any signal, which may explain why it was quiet when the FX Loop block was on vs off.

You did have a cable going from Output 2 to the I out of your pedal, yes?

If not, how did you connect everything?

Did you follow the diagram in the manual?

love to hear more info/basics on this. Follow the diagram in the manual is easy. Get everything to match and level correctly with fx loop effect on/off is an Indian rope trick (well, to me that is)

Make connections like the manual says.

Turn up Out 2 until the external unit gets enough signal.

Turn up the external unit's volume such that it doesn't clip Input 2. (Adjust Input 2 digital level in I/O menu just like you would for your guitar and Input 1).

That's basically it.

What if I just want to put an additional audio source in AXE-FX? No send, just return, then use the FX-loop to place the audio source in the signal chain. Can I still use OUTPUT2 echo OUT1 in I/O configuration? :)

RTFM again.
No, not as in repeats… repeats… repeats. Echo in this usage refers to an exact
simultaneous copy of a signal. The default value “NONE” connects Output 2 to the
inputs of the FX LOOP block (p. 66). Selecting “OUTPUT 1” creates an exact copy of
the OUTPUT 1 signal at OUTPUT 2. Use this when you need to feed both front of
house and full-range monitors, for example, and want independent level control over
each using the front panel knobs. Selecting “INPUT 1” copies the raw
unprocessed INPUT 1 signal to OUTPUT 2, and is ideal for capturing a dry track for
“reamping” without using the FX Loop block or USB. Note that the echo feature will
not function when an FX Loop block is present in a preset as the FX Loop has priority.

So, I can put the fx- loop in the patches I want to use the additional audio source, and just patch it in the grid :-D

Out 2 controls the output of the FX Loop block going to the input of your Eventide pedal. If it was all the way off, then the Eventide wasn't getting any signal, which may explain why it was quiet when the FX Loop block was on vs off.

You did have a cable going from Output 2 to the I out of your pedal, yes?

If not, how did you connect everything?

Did you follow the diagram in the manual?

This is how I had it set up:
Left and right Eventide outputs to left and right Axe Fx input 2 Fx Return.
Left and right Eventide inputs to left and right Axe Fx output 2 Fx Send.
Output and input on Eventide set to line level.

Here is how the IO settings are set in my Axe FX. Not sure if I need to change any of these stock settings to something else or not.

Input 1 left select = front
Input 1 mode = left only
Input 2 mode = left only
Input 1 mode = stereo
Input 1 boost pad = 0 db
Output1 phase = normal
Output 2 mode = stereo
Output 2 boost pad = 0 db
Output 2 phase = normal
Output 2 echo = none
Main input source = analog in 1

Thanks for all that info.

Since you are using both left and right of Input 2, you can set Input 2 mode to stereo, instead of Left Only.

Did you try turning up the Out 2 knob on the front panel? Again, with it completely off, there would be no signal going out of Out 2 to your Eventide.

Also, you need to set the digital level of Input 2 in the I/O menu the same way you'd set the Instrument In for your guitar.

Thanks for all that info.

Since you are using both left and right of Input 2, you can set Input 2 mode to stereo, instead of Left Only.

Did you try turning up the Out 2 knob on the front panel? Again, with it completely off, there would be no signal going out of Out 2 to your Eventide.

Also, you need to set the digital level of Input 2 in the I/O menu the same way you'd set the Instrument In for your guitar.

Thanks Chris,

"Did you try turning up the Out 2 knob on the front panel? Again, with it completely off, there would be no signal going out of Out 2 to your Eventide."
Yes I just tried turning up the output 2 knob on the front and I had to set it almost all the way up to make the Fx Loop on be as loud as when the Fx Loop is off.
What I don't understand is why the input 2 lights on the front of the Axe FXII are in the red whether the output 2 knob on the front of the Axe is set to 0 or 10

"Also, you need to set the digital level of Input 2 in the I/O menu the same way you'd set the Instrument In for your guitar"
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

It makes sense that Out 2 knob would be turned fully up, as that is Unity Gain in that particular setup.

The first page of the I/O menu has Input levels. You need to set Input 2 appropriately.

I don't know why Input 2 LEDs are lighting up like you describe. Try adjusting the Input levels in the I/O menu and see what happens. It's just so hard to diagnose without seeing things for myself.

Can you try going Mono to and from the Eventide just as a test? Not that stereo is "too loud" or anything, but I'm trying to eliminate some things.

It makes sense that Out 2 knob would be turned fully up, as that is Unity Gain in that particular setup.

The first page of the I/O menu has Input levels. You need to set Input 2 appropriately.

I don't know why Input 2 LEDs are lighting up like you describe. Try adjusting the Input levels in the I/O menu and see what happens. It's just so hard to diagnose without seeing things for myself.

Can you try going Mono to and from the Eventide just as a test? Not that stereo is "too loud" or anything, but I'm trying to eliminate some things.

Thanks Chris. I set Input mode 2 and Output mode 2 to stereo. It sounds better. Setting Output level 2 knob straight to the right at 3 o'clock makes the volume the same when the FX loop is turned on or off. But nothing I've tried so far changes the Input 2 meter levels on the front panel. They are bouncing into the red or staying in red all the time when I 'm playing. I tried it in mono and the same thing happened just with one VU meter. I even tried turning dropping the Eventide preset output level by 10db and then 20 db and it made no difference as far as the output 2 VU meters on the front of the Axe FX. They were still in the red. The only thing I could find in the IO of the Axe FX for Output 2 to change level was Output 2 boost/pad. It only goes up. It starts at 0db and goes up to 18db. It doesn't go down.

Last edited:
The boost/pad function is for something else and won't affect anything.

The front of the Axe doesn't have Output meters, but rather Input meters (I think that's what you meant actually).

If you turn down the Eventide output, and Input 2 is still clipping, perhaps something is still not configured correctly. Anyway to get a screen shot or picture of your Fx Loop block settings? Or can you reset that block to defaults?

Have you adjusted the Input 2 Level parameter in the I/O menu? Turn this down until the red LED of the Input 2 meter only lights briefly during the loudest signals you expect the pedals to output. Or a bit more to leave room for uncertainty about levels.

Have you adjusted the Input 2 Level parameter in the I/O menu? Turn this down until the red LED of the Input 2 meter only lights briefly during the loudest signals you expect the pedals to output. Or a bit more to leave room for uncertainty about levels.

Thank you Bakerman and Chris!

Setting Input mode 2 and Output mode 2 to stereo, and setting I/0 input 2 to to 18.0 solved the problems. I really appreciate your help.

Back
Top Bottom