FX-iii and Mac OS Monterey 12.4?

datasundae

I just upgraded my Macbook to Monterrey 12.4 and appear to have lost connectivity to my FX-iii and AXE-Edit (running 11.1.01). I usually am wary of such upgrades but I wasn't paying attention this time (Mondo like upgrade ;-). I haven't found any information on the forum or elsewhere about 12.4 (except for the FX8 - which people report works) so I wanted to ask what to expect - if someone knows?

macOS 12.4 works fine with the current beta for the FX3 and its required Edit update on my iMac Pro.

I'd recommend checking your USB connections. Also, confirm that you are not running Fractal-Bot at the same time as Edit is running as they will contend for the connection.

I just upgraded my Macbook to Monterrey 12.4 and appear to have lost connectivity to my FX-iii and AXE-Edit (running 11.1.01). I usually am wary of such upgrades but I wasn't paying attention this time (Mondo like upgrade ;-). I haven't found any information on the forum or elsewhere about 12.4 (except for the FX8 - which people report works) so I wanted to ask what to expect - if someone knows?
Check the ports in the Axe-Edit settings to make sure they're pointing to the Axe-FX.

This latest iteration of Monterey may have affected USB- a connectivity on some recent M1 models, which I have experienced some issues using AxeEdit as well, so I dunno.

No issues here on my Apple silicon MacBook.

Have u defined aggregate audio devices that include Axefx USB? With some past MacOS upgrades (not 12.4) I've had to remove / redefine those aggregate devices to get going smoothly.

Have u defined aggregate audio devices that include Axefx USB? With some past MacOS upgrades (not 12.4) I've had to remove / redefine those aggregate devices to get going smoothly.
It should work fine without an aggregate audio device. I have one defined but very rarely use it.

It should work fine without an aggregate audio device. I have one defined but very rarely use it.
yes, however, wrt the problem I was having, the mere existance of an Ax3 linked aggregate device seemed to be causing connection issues after a MacOS update - could not be 100% sure why, but redefining the device solved the connection issues.

Last edited:
Thanks for people's interest and support. This is an odd one. A few thoughts:

1. I can take the same USB cable and plug it into a Windows 10 computer with AXE-EDIT and it lights up green immediately every time.
2. Prior to upgrading to 12.4 Monterrey I was able to access the FX-iii over usb on this MacBook without and issue. I believe I was running Big Sur at the time.
3. I am running MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) and it's only function is /was to connect to the FX-iii. So I can and have downgraded it to Big Sur and now Mohave and I still get no indication of a connection via AXE-EDIT or on the MacBook SYSTEM reports at all.
4. I upgraded the FX-iii to 20 Beta 4 to allow it to run with Monterrey. I am using AXE-EDIT 1.12.01 which is required for the Beta 4 firmware.

This is hardly a crisis as I can connect to my Windows box and having the MacBook work was oriented to performing which isn't an issue right now ;-). But it's hard not to get your beak stuck in a crack on these kinds of issues and I would like to fix it.

Any other ideas?

Well - personally, my next move here given a similar issue, would be to do an NVRAM reset by shutting down the Mac and then starting it by pressing Command+Option+P+R to see if that clears the issue. This will reset some various system settings in non volatile memory. Afaik it's low risk and I've used it a number of times when troubleshooting my Macs, but, I'd suggest you have a quick read about this type of reset before proceeding cautiously if you are comfortable. Here's one article with more explanation but just search for "Mac NVRAM reset" for more. (make sure your backups are good before proceeding).

hi, I recently purchased a new axe fx 3 turbo , I had a studio engineer here today connecting things up with my iMac that is running OS Monterey , we hooked up keyboards and bass but he was extremely frustrated he would get it going and then before you know it wasn't working ? he ended up finding out if we shut down the axe fx then start it up it would work again then next minute it was gone again ? he said it had a connectivity problem and said it was impossible to keep working on it as the hours were passing by. I contacted fractal and they advised trying better USB cable and get back to them, wondering if Monterey is the problem who knows I'm over it!

hi, I recently purchased a new axe fx 3 turbo , I had a studio engineer here today connecting things up with my iMac that is running OS Monterey , we hooked up keyboards and bass but he was extremely frustrated he would get it going and then before you know it wasn't working ? he ended up finding out if we shut down the axe fx then start it up it would work again then next minute it was gone again ? he said it had a connectivity problem and said it was impossible to keep working on it as the hours were passing by. I contacted fractal and they advised trying better USB cable and get back to them, wondering if Monterey is the problem who knows I'm over it!

This kind of problem often turns out to be a bad cable, so I'd follow the advice you got from tech support and try a new cable.

Just to ease your mind I have MacOS 12.4 no issues here.
What firmware are you on for your AxeFX?
How are they connected USB hub?

Back
Top Bottom