FX-8 LOUD

Haljon

Hello all,

I just got my FX-8. I am running it through a Marshall JVM using the 4 cable method. Fractal Audio did not have the humbuster cables in stock, so my local music store made me 2 from the diagram in the FX-8 manual. He checked them before I left and I have looked at them and believe they are working and correct. However, when I plug it all up, there is a VERY loud hum coming out of my Cabinet. Also, if the preset I am on is using a flange or rotary effect, I can clearly hear it coming out of the cabinet when I am not playing. This FX-8 replaced a very old and dying rocktron intellifex which did not ever have this issue. What am I missing? What am I doing wring?

Thanks all !!!

I believe so. I followed what the manual said however, it was not 100% clear which end it was talking about. Im guessing when it said the humbuster side was going into the amp in, it was talking about the TRS side as the humbuster cable. So, I ran the TS side out of the FX8 out pre to the TPS side into the JVM input. The other humbuster cable went from TS end out of the FX8 post to the JVM effects return with the TPS end. Is this correct? If so, the issue remains. What else could be causing this?

I also tried with the humbuster cables connected the opposite way with the same results.

Last edited:
I believe so. I followed what the manual said however, it was not 100% clear which end it was talking about. Im guessing when it said the humbuster side was going into the amp in, it was talking about the TRS side as the humbuster cable. So, I ran the TS side out of the FX8 out pre to the TPS side into the JVM input. The other humbuster cable went from TS end out of the FX8 post to the JVM effects return with the TPS end. Is this correct? If so, the issue remains. What else could be causing this?

I also tried with the humbuster cables connected the opposite way with the same results.
from the manual:

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 4.12.03 PM.png

my guess is the Humbuster cable might not be correct. have you tried regular instrument cables?

Thanks Chris. I did try it that way with the same results. I have used regular guitar cables with again the same results. Im getting a loud hum through the cabinet as well as hearing the effects very loudly when I'm not playing anything. My old intellifex does not have this issue with regular guitar cables. Could something be wrong with the FX-8?

Thanks Chris. I did try it that way with the same results. I have used regular guitar cables with again the same results. Im getting a loud hum through the cabinet as well as hearing the effects very loudly when I'm not playing anything. My old intellifex does not have this issue with regular guitar cables. Could something be wrong with the FX-8?
Can you describe your cable routing? For example

Guitar to FX8 pre in
FX8 Pre out to Amp instrument input ...

Etc

ok, here it is. Guitar to FX8 in (1 pre) using a regular TS guitar cable. Humbuster cable TRS in the out 1 pre to the input to the JVM with the TS end of the cable. Regular TS guitar cable from the In 2 post of the FX8 to the JVM effects send. Then Out 2 post humbuster cable TPS end going to the JVM FX return with the TS side.

ok, here it is. Guitar to FX8 in (1 pre) using a regular TS guitar cable. Humbuster cable TRS in the out 1 pre to the input to the JVM with the TS end of the cable. Regular TS guitar cable from the In 2 post of the FX8 to the JVM effects send. Then Out 2 post humbuster cable TPS end going to the JVM FX return with the TS side.
doesn't the JVM have a Parallel and Series FX loop? which one are you using? you should use the Series.

The JVM has one marked serial / Parallel and one marked power amp insert / serial loop. I am using the Serial / Parallel one. I tried it in the power amp insert / serial loop one and I barely hear anyting.

The JVM has one marked serial / Parallel and one marked power amp insert / serial loop. I am using the Serial / Parallel one. I tried it in the power amp insert / serial loop one and I barely hear anyting.
what is the Knob set to on the S/P loop? what about that LEVEL switch? +4 vs -10? all of this could be the reason it's so loud.

the FX8 should be used with a Serial FX Loop - which is actually the one labeled Power Amp Insert on the JVM. i believe the other one won't go fully serial, if i remember correctly. if you use a Parallel Loop, you'll be mixing in the Amp's dry tone in addition to how the FX8 already mixes in the Amp's dry tone.

have you changed things in presets to turn them down to remedy your situation? i would just start over using the Power Amp Insert on the JVM - and make sure it's turned on, both with the button on the back, and the footswitch.

Sorry for the delay, its been a crazy weekend. But this resolved it for me !!!! THANK YOU !!!! Also, playing with the inputs / Outputs in the presets also helps a lot. I have a few presents that are a lot quieter but I still have to play around with them a little bit more. Still not sure if I shroud be using 18db, -10db, +4 db etc. The FX8 is amazing but VERY complex for me.

Again, thank you so much for this Chris !!!

Any other tips as to where the inputs / outputs should be for best operation?

I think that you will need to read the manual. It is boring, all we want is just to plug and play but.... From first to last page, about unity gain...

Back
Top Bottom