FX-303 - Synth Tracking is Insane in fw12.08

FX-303! Here's another example of how much I'm enjoying firmware 12.08. You probably saw that the Pitch shifter was improved, but did you know that this also improves pitch tracking in the Synth block? It does!

In this juicy acid-funk track, I'm jamming along with the mighty Jab'o Starks (courtesy of Toontrack Superior 3). An expression pedal modifies Q in a filter block after the synth and simultaneously sets the sustain level of the ADSR on that filter's cutoff to make the sound extra lively.

Each section of 4 measures was played in realtime (on a Strat!). I'll add a synth solo next.

EDIT:

Some 20+ punch-ins later and here's a little synth solo on top for you to listen to :)

Funky!

Gotta dig into the synth thingie sometime soon. I played with the Virtual Capo in the most recent beta for about 5 minutes after installing it, and it already yielded inspiration for a new song.

Reactions: jon
Man that was fantastic. Could you share the preset for both the rhythm and synth solo? Pretty please ? I can’t seem to get a tight synth solo sound like that.

You know when something sounds so ridiculously good you can only laugh, shake your head, and ask for the preset?

Excellent playing should also be noted. Great chops Matt!

Nice! Pitch detection on the Synth block was always pretty wonky. This sounds much better than the results I've been getting. I'm definitely gonna try this out.

The changes / improvements in this Beta are palpably enhanced on my drop tuned presets for example, and it's sounding fantastic. However, on the synth preset I use for the Gary Numan tune 'Cars' I'm now getting artefacts which I didn't get before. It seems to stem from the LFO which is connected to it to get that 'wobble' sound. You can hear it 'clicking', and I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of it. This didn't appear to be an issue previously.

Attachments

• Cars.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 35
The changes / improvements in this Beta are palpably enhanced on my drop tuned presets for example, and it's sounding fantastic. However, on the synth preset I use for the Gary Numan tune 'Cars' I'm now getting artefacts which I didn't get before. It seems to stem from the LFO which is connected to it to get that 'wobble' sound. You can hear it 'clicking', and I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of it. This didn't appear to be an issue previously.
Has anyone who's looked at this figured out why the Whammy (controlled by LFO) would be 'clicking' like it does, and how to stop it, whilst still retaining the effect?

FX-303! Here's another example of how much I'm enjoying firmware 12.08. You probably saw that the Pitch shifter was improved, but did you know that this also improves pitch tracking in the Synth block? It does!

In this juicy acid-funk track, I'm jamming along with the mighty Jab'o Starks (courtesy of Toontrack Superior 3). An expression pedal modifies Q in a filter block after the synth and simultaneously sets the sustain level of the ADSR on that filter's cutoff to make the sound extra lively.

Each section of 4 measures was played in realtime (on a Strat!). I'll add a synth solo next.

EDIT:

Some 20+ punch-ins later and here's a little synth solo on top for you to listen to :)

Are you secretly Return to Forever? Those Chick Corea chops ... :)

Back
Top Bottom