FW19 CPU Usage

Sleestak

Power User
I updated to FW19 and noticed that some of my presets had intermittent crackling. This is a typical symptom of excessive CPU usage. Interestingly, these same presets did not exhibit this behavior in FW18. According to AxeEdit, I was only using 86% of the available CPU. I eliminated a few effect blocks and the crackling ceased, so I'm reasonably confident it was the CPU consumption.

It doesn't limit what I can do with those particular presets; in fact, as I've gotten better at creating AxeFX patches, I actually am using fewer blocks in most of them. The few presets that were hitting the CPU limit are, admittedly, my most complex / heavily processed tones.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering if FW19 (and the G3'd amps) are placing a higher demand on the CPUs. Also, FW19 sounds glorious. All of my presets sound noticeably better and livelier. The AxeFX continues to impress me.

I have had Similar experience, probably from G3... Though not all amp/preset's do it, but some do, mostly it crackles around 90% but yeah i've seen it happen as low as 86%..

If the FW19 G3d models are doing more, then they are taxing the CPU more. I'm saving an outboard reverb for the last in signal chain to give relief whenever needed.

I am right on the borderline with some of my presets. The other day at rehearsal I attached an expression pedal to the gain knob of the amp and then I had intermittent crackling. I ended up removing the phaser block since I rarely use it with that patch (AC30TB). I may go back and put it back in and change the reverb quality to normal. Anyway, yes, I think V19 might be a hair more processing intensive.

Back
Top Bottom